Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbrow makes Bulldogs wait

MICHAEL GLEESON
    The Age
    March 16, 2010

AS A former Queenslander whom new Gold Coast recruiter Scott Clayton found as a diamond-in-the-rough rookie for the Bulldogs, Jarrod Harbrow was already considered a likely Gold Coast recruiting target.

Speculation that he will be in the Gold Coast's inaugural team will only be heightened by a decision by the out-of-contract player and his manager to put off discussions for a new contract until the end of the season.

The Dogs had sought to begin negotiations on a new contract a fortnight ago but were told by Harbrow's manager, Peter Lenton, that they wanted to halt discussions until the end of the year.

Article in Full

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbrow makes Bulldogs wait

Smart move for Harbrow(another good season and he could be AA and a top 5 in our BF), horrible move for us as we(or just me) have to contemplate the worst(leaving to go to GC).

But........... I would rather lose him than Cooney.
    Last edited by chef; 16-03-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else just feel as though he's gone?
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Yes, would be a downer to have him leave but I wouldn't be surprised, a chance to head closer to home and really capitalise on his rise in status as a footballer. The down side is that he loses his chance to be a part of a team really at its peak and playing for keeps, a new team is a bit of uncharted territory and could be a struggle early.

Won't begrudge any decision he makes, he has worked his arse off to make it as a player and has given us his best to date. Hopefully he stays!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've resigned myself to it. All we can do is hope he has a solid year, lock him in for a top 3 spot in the B&F (to increase his value) and try not to throw up when we see him play in a GC jumper.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, hopefully he leaves as a premiership player so it won't hurt as much.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure, I guess it's not a great thing that he is holding off talks, but he really needs to look after his best interests so it is probably the correct call on (delaying talks). He seems to be very popular amongst the playing group and is held in high regard by the coaching staff so I am very hopeful he stays as I love watching him in action.

One thing for sure is that James Fantasia is in for a massive year and if he can keep our out of contracted players together (the likes of Cooney, Griffen & Harbrow) we should build a monument of him outside Whitten Oval signifying this achievement.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't we have a player last year put off talks until the end of the year?
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    We did, but I think the landscape is quite different with GC being a much greater threat due to the amount of $$'s they can offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy watching his last year as a Bulldog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Mr Lake.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hate to see him go as i think he has the right work ethic and determination for our side.

My worry for him is that he would fade into obscurity if he went to the GC, whereas he could be a football great if he stayed with us.

We will be forced to have a turnover of senior players next year with the GC and Scott Clayton swooping on his ex's.

We will need salary room to keep promising players and that means getting rid of Aker, Eagle, and possibly Brad Johnson. You would not want to be on the wrong side of 30 at the end of the year. That includes the Bearded one.

Post Thanks / Like

No more than Cooney & Griffen who I think are also going to wait till the end of the season. In my opinion after reading the article I don't think it is a lay down misere that he is going to leave for sure at all. Actually I feel a little more comfortable that he might stay, after reading what his manager said, that I felt beforehand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, I've resigned myself to it. All we can do is hope he has a solid year, lock him in for a top 3 spot in the B&F (to increase his value) and try not to throw up when we see him play in a GC jumper.
    If GC are going to wear that red thing they currently have I defy anyone to not throw up when they see it.
    Unfortunately when we see Jarrod running around in it next year it'll make me cry at the same time.
    I've got a feeling another Aboriginal player with the initials JH may also be going with him, but that is based on nothing other than a gut feel.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We did, but I think the landscape is quite different with GC being a much greater threat due to the amount of $$'s they can offer.
    And the bigger threat is they can just sign him, no trade and no worrying about someone taking him in a better draft position.
    The curse is dead.