Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbrow makes Bulldogs wait

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Anyone else just feel as though he's gone?
    I do - and his loss will hurt. My perception is that he's been groomed as the run/deliver from the back half that Gilbee was a few years ago, and with age on his side, keeping him in this role will be massively beneficial.

Losing him means a few years work is wasted (well if he plays well this year and helps us to a flag then 'wasted' is a harsh term) and we have to start again on the attacking back half setup.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I do - and his loss will hurt. My perception is that he's been groomed as the run/deliver from the back half that Gilbee was a few years ago, and with age on his side, keeping him in this role will be massively beneficial.

Losing him means a few years work is wasted (well if he plays well this year and helps us to a flag then 'wasted' is a harsh term) and we have to start again on the attacking back half setup.
    Howard & Tutt were drafted with this attacking HB role in mind, but they are a long way back at present. Perhaps we will see Wood and Addison be given more opportunities if Harbrow departs which may not be a bad thing, but I definitely want to keep him.

I'm not looking forward to the post-season contract discussions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Howard & Tutt were drafted with this attacking HB role in mind, but they are a long way back at present. Perhaps we will see Wood and Addison be given more opportunities if Harbrow departs which may not be a bad thing, but I definitely want to keep him.

I'm not looking forward to the post-season contract discussions.
    Wood could be one to fill the role. He seems quite quick but his kicking possibly needs some work if he's to really make it.
    It's going to be an ugly couple of years all around with GC and GWS.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Probably not a bad thing for us that he decides to wait out the season.
    He gets the opportunity to raise his game to All Australian level (only a hair off last season) to maximise his value.
    Being a premiership player wouldn't hurt either.

We clearly couldn't give him $500K or whatever GC17 offer him, but with Eagleton and possibly Johnson in their last seasons, there should be a few bucks available to him to at least make a decent offer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Groenewagon View Post
    Probably not a bad thing for us that he decides to wait out the season.
    He gets the opportunity to raise his game to All Australian level (only a hair off last season) to maximise his value.
    Being a premiership player wouldn't hurt either.

We clearly couldn't give him $500K or whatever GC17 offer him, but with Eagleton and possibly Johnson in their last seasons, there should be a few bucks available to him to at least make a decent offer
    Interesting post CG. Lake played his career-best season coming out of contract, so we know that it can certainly have a motivating influence on a players' mindset to try to put themselves forward in the best possible light.

As for the value of his contract and ridiculous numbers being bandied about, let's not forget that at the start of last season he wasn't even in our best 22, and was almost 'discovered' as a backman by accident.. a lot of the credit has to go to our coaching setup to be able to maximise his assets coming out of the back half, but Jarrod and the GC will be kidding themselves if they think that half a season a career makes. He is best off continuing his development curve with those that have taken him this far, but of course, money talks. If he does leave, we will miss his dash and daring (married to a higher than average error rate at times), but let's wish him well and not imagine for a moment that he is irreplaceable, and we shouldn't mortgage our future trying to keep a player for more than he is worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, no doubt all clubs will be going through this at some stage...the thing with Harbrow is he was clearly our biggest impover last season and his impact helped us make the step from a filler club in the eight to a real contender! I feel that he is very important to the future make up of our side and one we need to hold onto, i reckon there is still more impovement in him and that will only make him more important!

Post Thanks / Like

Might need to change username soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Might need to change username soon
    GC17 perhaps
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

If Harbrow goes, I bet we lose Hill too.

I think I'm going to stay away from all of these threads, because they are already getting on my nerves and are also quite depressing! Boo GC17!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't read the Age, but a friend told me that during the talk about players being signed in that off-season period, Harbrow was mentioned by the Age. Did anyone else see this?

I don't want to lose Harbrow, and would be disappointed if he left just like I'd be disappointed if any Bulldogs left.

This year, with Aker and Eagle taking pay cuts, Lake staying for (probably) less than he was offered elsewhere, I think we've started to build a culture whereby the team is more important than money.

Now it's up to Coon, Griff, Harbrow, Reid etc. to continue developing this mindset amongst our players. Having a strong culture like that will also help when free agency comes in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Yes, hopefully he leaves as a premiership player so it won't hurt as much.
    The only way it will be acceptable

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs;141450[B
    ]I don't read the Age, but a friend told me that during the talk about players being signed in that off-season period, Harbrow was mentioned by the Age. Did anyone else see this?[/B]
    I don't want to lose Harbrow, and would be disappointed if he left just like I'd be disappointed if any Bulldogs left.

This year, with Aker and Eagle taking pay cuts, Lake staying for (probably) less than he was offered elsewhere, I think we've started to build a culture whereby the team is more important than money.

Now it's up to Coon, Griff, Harbrow, Reid etc. to continue developing this mindset amongst our players. Having a strong culture like that will also help when free agency comes in.
    It was in the H/S.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...hlight=Harbrow
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I even commented on that thread...whoops. Thanks chef.

Post Thanks / Like

Smart move by Harbrow(another good season and he could be AA and a top 5 in our BF), horrible move for us as we(or just me) have to contemplate the worst(leaving to go to GC).

But........... I would rather lose him than Cooney.
    Over my dead body!!
    We have put in too much work to bring this lad up to speed
    and What? so that we are raped and pillaged by other clubs,
    this goes for all players on our list. CEDE NULLIS.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 16-03-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: good gramma

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Didn't we have a player last year put off talks until the end of the year?
    It's funny isn't it? Although there was no certainty regarding Lake remaining, I always had a feeling that he would. Unfortunately, I'm not getting the same feeling with Jarrod.

Not that I'm the oracle of course!
    "It's over. It's all over."