Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Brett Deledio or Ryan Griffen?

Spent this morning engaging in John Anderson's live blog debate on the topic of Who would you pick now between Brett Deledio and Ryan Griffen ? It made for some interesting, and yes at times juvenile, debate. With what we know today which way would you go all things being equal ?

EACH week Jon Anderson will ask you to pick the best of two footballers. Today, who would you pick between Richmond's Brett Deledio and the Bulldogs' Ryan Griffen?

BOTH taken high in the 2004 National Draft, both 188cm midfielders who can also play forward or back, their ability to run and carry is a standout feature in today’s game.

So, who would you choose first if Brett Deledio and Ryan Griffen were available in this year’s National Draft, as they were in 2004 when taken with picks one and three respectively?

Who would you pick? Debate with Jon Anderson below at 9am.

That was the same draft where Jarryd Roughead went at two, Richard Tambling at four and Buddy Franklin got through to five for reasons only known to the recuiters of the time.

Deledio and Griffen have since become fine players in their own right and to win two best and fairests by age 22, albeit in a struggling team, is a fair reflection of where Deledio is at.

Griffin plays at a far stronger club and has suffered one serious injury when he dislocated his knee in 2007 after a very good season in 2006.

But have both fulfilled their obvious talent? Mike Sheahan would say not after he left them out of his annual top 50 player lists.
    Now into their sixth seasons, Deledio and Griffen are at a stage where you want more from them.

Griffen teases because when in full flight he is a sight to behold, a fluent runner capable of carrying the ball further than most. But he suffers from inconsistency, although at 23 he’s reached the stage where he may be ready to explode.
    Jimmy Bartel and Gary Ablett were both that age before becoming the midfield stars they are today. Back to Deledio and Griffen, who would you choose first?

On exposed form it’s hard to justify placing him ahead of Deledio, but Griffen plays in a free-wheeling style that can change games very quickly. Maybe it’s blind faith but I still believe he will end up the better player.

Or do it this way. When you team is exposed to Richmond and the Western Bulldogs, who worries you most?

ANDO'S VERDICT: RYAN GRIFFEN

TALE OF THE TAPE
    Brett Deledio
    Games: 107
    Height and weight: 188cm, 88kg
    Best and fairests: 1st in 2008-2009
    NAB Rising Star in 2005
    Strengths: Good overhead mark, good speed, long and accurate kick.
    Weaknesses: Doesn’t win enough contested football and right now is a jack of all trades, master of none.

Ryan Griffen
    Games: 98
    Height and weight: 188cm, 87kg
    Best and fairests: 9th in 2008, 8th in 2006
    2nd in 2005 NAB Rising Star.
    Strengths: Has obvious speed and balance, good core strength to break tackles and can kick it long.
    Weaknesses: Like Deledio is extremely athletic but not an obviously natural player. Needs to get it more often.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brett Deledio or Ryan Griffen?

Deledio has 2 best and fairests but what are they worth in such a poor, underachieving list .

A Richmond B&F doesn't really carry much weight these days in my opinion. Wayne Campbell racked them up like hot dinners and he was by no means a superstar.
    Deledio lacks presence, and aside from the obvious attributes of a top athlete, there's nothing electrifying or unexpected in his play. Yeah he's fast, yeah he's good overhead, yeah he's a good long straight kick. yeah he's a very good player, but...................... he's a bit ho- hum,

Griffen, however, has the 'wow' factor in spades.
    Can't believe Ando says he's not an obviously natural player.
    When he's on the burst he looks like one of the most 'natural players' I've ever seen.
    He's got that great, tackle breaking strength through the hips, And when he hit's that right foot sweetly on the Sherrin it's a sight to behold.
    2 top 10 B&F finishes doesn't seem to compare to 2 B&F's, but Griffen has been hit with a reasonably major injury and personal tragedy. He's also playing in one of the best lists in the AFL who are regular finalists. I know who's highlight reel would make better viewing.

I agree we're all expecting Griffen to explode every year and he still hasn't really started to dominate games yet, but when he does...........OMG!
    He will tear Deledio a new one.

Griffen for mine

Post Thanks / Like

If they swapped teams IMO(I'm a little biased as Lids is a Ky boy and his dad is my sons 1st grade teacher ATM) Deledio would be a better player with us than Griffen is ATM. Not that I don't like Griffen, it's just he's the biggest tease(promises so much but doesn't deliver it often enough) in our team to me.

The one thing Griffen does have in his favour is that he has preformed well in finals games, but you can't hold that against Brett when he's stuck at a club like Richmond.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Griffen promises more in that he can play a number of different roles to great effect. Deledio isn't noted for his contested game. Both are pretty similar in that they're very quick and can break games open in a spell of 10 minutes.

However, Deledio has done more to date. He cops the hard tag every week and although criticised a lot, he's been a pretty good player for them. Griffen is surroudned by the likes of Cooney, Higgins and Boyd yet has struggled badly with consistency.

Still more than happy to have Griff who could be anything. He's a proven finals performer and has looked good in the pre-season.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have Deledio a half step in front of Griffen because he has been more consistent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post

When he's on the burst he looks like one of the most 'natural players' I've ever seen.
    He's got that great, tackle breaking strength through the hips, And when he hit's that right foot sweetly on the Sherrin it's a sight to behold.

I agree we're all expecting Griffen to explode every year and he still hasn't really started to dominate games yet, but when he does...........OMG!
    Griffen for mine
    Dougy - I couldn't agree more! On the burst, my boy "Griff" has great balance and speed, not unlike your namesake! Yes, he has been inconsistent, but he has had some pretty big "head" stuff to content with i.e., his Dad, etc. We tend to forget also, just how young these guys are, and do we expect too much of them too soon? I don't think we have seen the best of Griff just yet.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    2 top 10 B&F finishes doesn't seem to compare to 2 B&F's, but Griffen has been hit with a reasonably major injury and personal tragedy. He's also playing in one of the best lists in the AFL who are regular finalists. I know who's highlight reel would make better viewing.

He will tear Deledio a new one.

Griffen for mine
    Griffen plays his best football as a half back flanker so I suspect now that he is played in the midfield that's why we have been waiting for a couple of years for him to reach his potential.

Deledio on the other hand has been consistent and is a better kick. Pace wise Deledio is a bit quicker and that's why I think he's currently in front of Griffen.
    At the end of this season though Griffen might be in front because he is a more exciting player to watch.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to have Deled's at the dogs, but I wouldn't trade Griff for him.
    Time will only tell, but I'll keep my faith and $$$ on Griff

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to have Griff at the Dogs but would lean towards Lids at this stage of their careers. Both break the lines and can be game breakers, not that Brett gets much chance of this at the Tigers.

Griff's X factor is arguably better than Lids. Lids is a better overhead mark and to this point has been more consistent even faced with constant tagging. Griff on the other hand has more upside if his sublime skills can come together with consistency.

Post Thanks / Like

At this stage I would have Deledio slighty ahead but not by much. In Griffen's favour he is a proven finals performer so he certainly ticks those boxes while we may be waiting some time before we can judge Deledio on the big stage.

In Deledio's defence however he is the first player the opposition would look to tag and he has still been able to provide a consistent output and in his favour he is a goal kicking midfielder which is something Griffen stills needs to add if he wants to take his game to another level (elite).

Post Thanks / Like

I think Deledio is ahead. Better mark, better kick and better up forward as a goalkicking option. Not by much though.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff