Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Gia ready to lead Bulldogs

Gia wants to be captain one day...

Gia ready to lead Bulldogs
    The Age | Caroline Wilson | April 4, 2010

DANIEL Giansiracusa wants to captain the Western Bulldogs. He recently turned 28 and, knowing Brad Johnson's durability, would never assume the vacancy was a given next season. Therefore, he also knows the time for outright leadership might have gone past him.

He also knows he is not the best player in contention, despite the fact that players like Nick Maxwell and Domenic Cassisi have significantly altered the leadership vogue at their respective clubs.

However, perhaps the most telling obstacle standing in his path is also his club's greatest fi llip. And it is something that could not be said for his friend Chris Newman - the Richmond captain named as his opponent at the MCG in today's twilight game - which is the number of Bulldog teammates who suddenly seem so equipped for the job.

Giansiracusa captained the club in its NAB Cup victory and was to have led the side in round one before Johnson's surprising recovery.

Another close friend, Bob Murphy, whose achievements have virtually matched his own in statistical terms but who has never confided to Giansiracusa an ambition to captain the club, was also skipper for a preseason game, as was Matthew Boyd.

And when coach Rodney Eade gave Giansiracusa the nod until Johnson returned, he stressed that this did not make the consistent flanker-midfielder the heir apparent.

"I haven't actually told 'Rocket' [Eade] that I want the job," said Giansiracusa, "but he knows it's an ambition. It might go past me in terms of age and I'm not the most talented player at the club, so I might not be the right fi t. While Johnno's captain it's not an issue, but it's no secret I'd put my hand up and see it as a great honour."

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article....

Born & Bred Guest

Re: Gia ready to lead Bulldogs

Please. Someone should tell him to get the ball regularly and do something with it instead of stating he wants to be the next skipper.

vho Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Born & Bred View Post
    Please. Someone should tell him to get the ball regularly and do something with it instead of stating he wants to be the next skipper.
    Really have to agree with B&B here, for a seasoned and senior player he still gets knocked over too easily. I really thought Gia was over his "soft player" tag but yesterday proved otherwise. It doesn't matter if he's got the loudest voice and commands players, actions speak louder than words. Gia has had two games to prove to us he is captain material but hasn't shown zit. Boyd is a better candidate.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't subscribe to the theory that the best player should be the captain but I think Giansiracusa needs to more consistent if he is to become the captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vho View Post
    Really have to agree with B&B here, for a seasoned and senior player he still gets knocked over too easily. I really thought Gia was over his "soft player" tag but yesterday proved otherwise. It doesn't matter if he's got the loudest voice and commands players, actions speak louder than words. Gia has had two games to prove to us he is captain material but hasn't shown zit. Boyd is a better candidate.
    Gia has had a dream run at the Bulldogs. Consistently doesn't perform in big games.
    Boyd, Morris and Cross are the logical team leaders in the future. On current form Giansircusa is lucky to be in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't subscribe to the theory that the best player should be the captain but I think Giansiracusa needs to more consistent if he is to become the captain.
    I feel a bit sorry for Gia in some respects - he's obviously extremely passionate about the club and a very professional player, well respected by the group. Unfortunately his playing ability probably hasn't come on as far as it looked like it would. Back in the mid 00's I was sure he'd become one of the elite midfielders in the competition. Injuries have obviously hurt him quite a bit, but I think you are spot on in that he has never developed that real consistency in his performance.

From a supporters perspective (not mine, mind you) I don't think he would be a great choice as he's quite often challenged for his performance and made a scapegoat when the side isn't travelling well. Not sure how much it's always warranted, but I think it just wouldn't sit well with the majority of supporters - which is probably why I feel a little sorry for Gia.

Whatever happens, Gia will remain an important leader at the club and should be proud of his achievements.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I feel a bit sorry for Gia in some respects - he's obviously extremely passionate about the club and a very professional player, well respected by the group. Unfortunately his playing ability probably hasn't come on as far as it looked like it would. Back in the mid 00's I was sure he'd become one of the elite midfielders in the competition. Injuries have obviously hurt him quite a bit, but I think you are spot on in that he has never developed that real consistency in his performance.

From a supporters perspective (not mine, mind you) I don't think he would be a great choice as he's quite often challenged for his performance and made a scapegoat when the side isn't travelling well. Not sure how much it's always warranted, but I think it just wouldn't sit well with the majority of supporters - which is probably why I feel a little sorry for Gia.

Whatever happens, Gia will remain an important leader at the club and should be proud of his achievements.
    Harley was somewhat limited as a player but probably got close to the best out of himself. Gia is more talented but hasn't reached his potential. Would it be difficult for him to ask players to dig a bit deeper when it doesn't appear to be a strength of his? I don't know the answer but as much as I rate him as a player he just isn't consistent enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Gia has had a dream run at the Bulldogs. Consistently doesn't perform in big games.
    Boyd, Morris and Cross are the logical team leaders in the future. On current form Giansircusa is lucky to be in the side.
    Not sure his injuries would constitute a dream run. I agree he isn't the best captain material though. I'd go with Boyd.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100%. It is important to have a captain that won't get dropped. With Gia's game up and down I would hate that he would hold his position in the team purely because he was captain. In fact the couple of games that I have seen him play in which he has been the captain have been disappointing. I lean towards Matty Boyd myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Not sure his injuries would constitute a dream run. I agree he isn't the best captain material though. I'd go with Boyd.
    Yep, he or Murphy would be the better options.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Harley was somewhat limited as a player but probably got close to the best out of himself. Gia is more talented but hasn't reached his potential. Would it be difficult for him to ask players to dig a bit deeper when it doesn't appear to be a strength of his? I don't know the answer but as much as I rate him as a player he just isn't consistent enough.
    I think it's a reasonable consideration to have, although like you have said, there isn't a clear answer. I have no doubt that Gia tries his absolute hardest every training session and every game he plays - so I'm not sure if it's a digging deeper issue, or if we have simply overrated his abilities and therefore reach the conclusion that he hasn't reached his potential?

Like you say, the consistency is the big killer. I would want a captain who will consistently turn in very strong performances, and has a knack/ability to step up in big games and crucial moments.

We don't see what goes on behind closed doors though, and at the end of the day, the bloke who the players feel can lead them the best is probably the right choice - much like your Harley example. Was a solid player, and played his role, but was no world beater - but was probably more consistent in getting his job done week in week out.