Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Send Will Minson to Williamstown: Rodney Eade

Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 12 April

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade was in no mood last night to celebrate a slogging win against Hawthorn, instead he took aim at his own players.

Perennial whipping boys Will Minson and Brian Lake were in the gun as Eade lamented poor decision-making and disposal in the Dogs' 16-point victory at Etihad Stadium.

For the second time in three weeks, Minson gave away a 50m penalty and goal with a basic mistake. He also missed a set shot from 25m at a key stage of the third term.

"He might need a stint at Williamstown - that's where it's headed with Will, to be honest," Eade said.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Send Will Minson to Williamstown: Rodney Eade

I didn't think he played that badly.

But I wouldn't be disappointed to see Roughie get a run next week.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

He improved towards the end of the game but made some terrible mistakes once again.

I've always been a huge fan of Minson's but i'm getting tired of the amount of stupid free kicks he gives away.

Post Thanks / Like

Can understand the frustration - but I'd much rather big Will played this week. His second half was good yesterday - and if he had have kicked that 3rd quarter goal - it would have been a very good half for him. His actual ruckwork has been good - and he was involved in a few of our scores yesterday.

I think Rocket may have used the media to give him a rev up, or a warning perhaps. Would be surprised if he was dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think Brisbane at the Gabba is a good choice, would have been better to play Roughy against the Hawks or Richmond. Brisbane are looking good at the moment and should be a big test up there.
    I actually thought Wills running and efforts were his best this year by far.
    I thought Lake was great, did his job on Buddy perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard Rocket on SEN this morning and he just re-iterated these thoughts by saying that he was disappointed the same players make the same errors week after week and in doing so are going against the coaching staffs instructions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I heard Rocket on SEN this morning and he just re-iterated these thoughts by saying that he was disappointed the same players make the same errors week after week and in doing so are going against the coaching staffs instructions.
    So, Brian Lake is in the gun this week?

Post Thanks / Like

OK so pressure built up in the Rocket and he did what he so often does, lets off steam. But very few of these have in the past turned into action in terms of positions in the side.

IMHO what this should be interpreted as is the coach saying you two seem immune to a good bake but this has got beyond a joke and I want you to act on this immediately so I'm going to try a spot of public humiliation. Rocket knows how to get to both of them so we'll have to see if this tactic works.

While both were responsible for acts I'm sure they regret, they also both contributed well at times and we shouldn't fall for the trap of blaming them for the very erratic performance of the team so far this season.

That problem lies elsewhere and needs even more urgent attention.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

My main concern would be that although Roughead was good for willy, he also spent most of the 2nd half in the ruck and looked stuffed by the end. I'd be slightly concerned about his recovery from that going into a game in Brisbane. I think it is unlikely Minson will be dropped but Eade is certainly sending him a very clear message.
    I also thought that 50m was pretty harsh to be honest. He does some stupid stuff but he barely encroached on this occasion.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I think it is unlikely Minson will be dropped but Eade is certainly sending him a very clear message.
    I also thought that 50m was pretty harsh to be honest. He does some stupid stuff but he barely encroached on this occasion.
    Stupid 50m penalty, umpires give no leeway at all. Minson won't be dropped at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The tiggy touch wood 50M penalty for creeping over the mark is one of the more frustrating rule interpretations in the game, but players know that umpires are red hot on it. Will really should have done better, particularly after giving one away against Collingwood. It was funny seeing him throw his head back; you could see him think “S*** I’ve done it again. Rocket’s going to KILL me”.

I must admite at half time, I was thinking that Roughy should come in, but big Will’s second half was much better; he ran hard to space a number of times and was important in opening up the play ahead of him.

He’ll always be a player that makes mistakes. We just have to hope that the bad stuff (free kicks against, iron hands, shanked kicks) isn’t bad enough to outweigh the good stuff (deft ruck taps, big ruck spikes, physicality).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The tiggy touch wood 50M penalty for creeping over the mark is one of the more frustrating rule interpretations in the game, but players know that umpires are red hot on it. Will really should have done better, particularly after giving one away against Collingwood. It was funny seeing him throw his head back; you could see him think “S*** I’ve done it again. Rocket’s going to KILL me”.

I must admite at half time, I was thinking that Roughy should come in, but big Will’s second half was much better; he ran hard to space a number of times and was important in opening up the play ahead of him.

He’ll always be a player that makes mistakes. We just have to hope that the bad stuff (free kicks against, iron hands, shanked kicks) isn’t bad enough to outweigh the good stuff (deft ruck taps, big ruck spikes, physicality).
    I love the pass to Hahn, I thought he was going to have a ping at goals but delivered a nice pass resulting in a goal.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Rocket is using the media to send a clear message to Will, obviously his original subtle message after Round 1 was not effective and therefore he has made a blunt & honest assessment.

Eade has put the pressure on Big Will publicly and now Minson is fully aware of where he stands. I'm confident Minson will play this weekend against Brisbane but clearly Eade is sending him a clear & strong final warning, either lift your game or you'll find yourself at Williamstown.

We all know different players react to different motivations and hopefully this acts as a wake up call, I personally am confident Minson will respond well through his actions and this tactic will serve it's desired purpose.

On the flip side, it also encourages Roughead at Williamstown who all of a sudden realises an AFL birth isn't that far away and it's important for him to perform and ensure he is considered accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    On the flip side, it also encourages Roughead at Williamstown who all of a sudden realises an AFL birth isn't that far away and it's important for him to perform and ensure he is considered accordingly.
    This is the other side of the coin - two birds cooked with the one Rocket bake.
    I do remember Hahn getting dropped a couple of years back then responding well so I'm not sure Rocket's public spray is merely an empty threat, however I think Minson has a couple of credits in the bank for this week.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Never agreed with coaches criticising players in the media. Puts unneccessary pressure on the player, and comes across as unprofessional. Keep it in house, doesn't need to be made public.