Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2010 Brownlow Medal

Okay I know it's very early in the season, but I just thought I'd get the ball rolling on Brownlow talk. This year I'm taking a more systematic approach to my Brownlow tips; I've developed a model which calculates the probability of a player getting 3, 2 or 1 Brownlow votes given the player's disposals tally, goals tally, Supercoach score and number of votes given to them by the two opposing coaches (AFLCA Award). From the percentiles I approximate the average of all outcomes, or in more basic terms, the most likely vote tally of the player (except its in decimal form!). I thought some might be interested in my leaderboard to date:

1 - J Brown - 6.2 votes
    2 - N Riewoldt - 4.57 votes
    3 - M Barlow - 4.32 votes
    4 - G Ablett - 4.11 votes
    5 - B McGlynn - 4.07 votes
    6 - L Hodge - 3.05 votes
    7 - B Harvey - 3.05 votes
    8 - A Sandilands - 2.78 votes
    9 - K Cornes - 2.64 votes
    10 - R Griffen - 2.53 votes
    11 - R O'Keefe - 2.52 votes
    12 - S Gilbert - 2.49 votes
    13 - L Montagna - 2.18 votes
    14 - A Carrazzo - 2.14 votes
    15 - D Swan - 2.12 votes

With Riewoldt injured, Barlow a first year player, McGlynn unlikely to continue his form and Hodge and Harvey known non-pollers, you'd have to think Brown and Ablett are the best bets from here, although it's extremely early. Sandilands looms as a good bet if Freo continue their form, and Montagna and Swan are again around the mark in the early parts of the season. And Griff? Well, who knows! For those interested, I have the top 5 doggie Brownlow pollers as:

1 - R Griffen - 2.53
    2 - A Cooney - 1.93
    3 - M Boyd - 1.63
    4 - L Gilbee - 1.44
    5 - M Hahn - 0.73

I can update this every 3 weeks if anyone is keen.

But for general discussion,

1) Who is your tip?
    2) Who is your smokie?
    3) Who will win the Doggies count?!

For me:
    1) Leigh Montagna
    2) Stephen Hill
    3) Adam Cooney

Cheers guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Brownlow Medal

My tip: Adam Cooney
    Smokie: Chris Knights
    Dogs: Adam Cooney

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic work there Scorlibo. Will definitely be interested to read further analysis in a few weeks time.

My tip: Gary Ablett - I can't tip against him. His game v Fremantle was outstanding.
    Smokie: Aaron Davey - Thought he was BOG v Collingwood.
    Dogs: Adam Cooney - Looks in pretty good touch and we know he's a proven vote getter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    My tip: Adam Cooney
    Smokie: Chris Knights

Isn't Chris Knights out injured?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Griffen will poll well this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tip: Adam Cooney
    Smokie: Shaun Higgins
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Tip-Cooney
    Smokie-Rioli
    Dogs-Cooney
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Scorlibo, good read & a great amount must go into it each week.

One area I would have a query on though is the Coaches votes. They may look at someone who does a specific job, as an example Dale Morris might negate his direct opponent & keep him to a handful of kicks & not get too many himself, but he's done the team thing & is recognised by his coach. In that example I can't see the umpires reflecting it.

And yes, please keep us updated regularly. Be interesting to see at the end of the season how you went.

Tip: Sam Mitchell
    Smokie: Aaron Davey
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Played his first game for the year on the weekend, and obviously lacked a little bit of conditioning. He was OK though, and should start to really pick up his form over the next couple of weeks.

Tip: Goddard
    Smokie: O'Keefe
    Bulldogs: Cooney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Scorlibo, good read & a great amount must go into it each week.

One area I would have a query on though is the Coaches votes. They may look at someone who does a specific job, as an example Dale Morris might negate his direct opponent & keep him to a handful of kicks & not get too many himself, but he's done the team thing & is recognised by his coach. In that example I can't see the umpires reflecting it.

And yes, please keep us updated regularly. Be interesting to see at the end of the season how you went.

Tip: Sam Mitchell
    Smokie: Aaron Davey
    Thanks TCD, a lot of research went into it before the season started, and then a lot of time was spent formatting and formulating the excel spreadsheet. But now I simply have to plug the results in each week, which doesn't take too long.

I know what you're saying, and I agree, but I feel the the system is a bit flawed without the coaches votes. I have the disposals/goals in there for the raw quantity of a player's performance, I have the supercoach scores to measure effectiveness/damage with those possessions/goals, and then the Coaches votes are in there because sometimes stats alone (however technical in the case of SC) are misleading, and the coaches seem to have the most direct perception of the game outside of perhaps the umpires, so they tend to balance it out.

For example Ablett's performance in Round 2 was not given any coaches votes, even though he amassed a game high 38 disposals and scored 128 supercoach points (second highest). So under the system he was third or fourth in line for votes, and not first as disposals and supercoach score would suggest. The main thing to note is that under the system, the players most likely to poll the 3 and 2 votes will be the players who do well in every category. So dour defenders who get coaches votes will still not have a very good average voting outcome because they typically won't do well in the statistical areas.

ps. Sam Mitchell is a good tip I reckon, with the Hawks set to do well. Buddy looks down on form, Sewell is coming off an injury and Hodge is a bad poller, so he doesn't look to have much competition for votes. Plus he is himself is quite a good poller.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    ps. Sam Mitchell is a good tip I reckon, with the Hawks set to do well. Buddy looks down on form, Sewell is coming off an injury and Hodge is a bad poller, so he doesn't look to have much competition for votes. Plus he is himself is quite a good poller.
    11 games for 31 votes when he won the Liston Trophy is testament to that.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Furtanken View Post

Great minds think alike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Played his first game for the year on the weekend, and obviously lacked a little bit of conditioning. He was OK though, and should start to really pick up his form over the next couple of weeks.
    What he said.

I think he will poll very well this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Medal: Cooney
    Smokey: Sandilands
    Dogs: Cooney