Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Williams ready to tame Lion kings

Good article on Williams....

Williams ready to tame Lion kings
    The Courier Mail | Andrew Hamilton | April 14th, 2010

FOR Western Bulldog Tom Williams a trip to the Gabba always brings mixed emotions.

He loves coming home to play in front of his family and friends but the opponents are always Brisbane - and for a defender that means Jonathan Brown and, for the first time on Saturday, Brendan Fevola.

The Bulldogs' two senior defenders, Brian Lake and Dale Morris, will start the game on the two snarling Lions and Williams will be called on to help out. But at some point during the rotations the job will be his.

"It is going to be a big challenge," he said. "Brownie is in great form and Fev has been playing pretty well too.

"We have got a tall backline and we match up well with them, but you are always aware Brownie can get off the leash and kick a few goals.

"They (Lake and Morris) are our senior defenders and will get first crack at them, but everyone needs a rest in modern footy and I'll have my turn playing on one of them. "Hopefully they don't kick too many goals while I am."

At least the evening will start on an enjoyable note when he watches his younger brother Jonathan play in the QAFL curtain-raiser for Morningside.

"I'm looking forward to that," he said. "I don't think I have ever seen him play - I'm a good big brother, aren't I?"

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Williams ready to tame Lion kings

He'd be spending a bit of time on Staker, if Staker plays forward. That's a good matchup, It's not like TW is going to be monstered around there. If he is playing on Brown or Fev, I don't like the sound of that at all. All the best to him. Glad to see him relatively injury-free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerific View Post
    He'd be spending a bit of time on Staker, if Staker plays forward. That's a good matchup, It's not like TW is going to be monstered around there. If he is playing on Brown or Fev, I don't like the sound of that at all. All the best to him. Glad to see him relatively injury-free.
    He played on Brown for periods up at the Gabba with a broken bone in his foot and acquitted himself well.

As Tom stated there will be times when Lake & Morris need a spell and Tom will need to help out. Playing on quality players even only for brief periods can only be good for his development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He played on Brown for periods up at the Gabba with a broken bone in his foot and acquitted himself well.

As Tom stated there will be times when Lake & Morris need a spell and Tom will need to help out. Playing on quality players even only for brief periods can only be good for his development.

Brown is in pretty good form, though. Can't remember him being this good. But you are right about playing on quality being good for development. We'll have to see what happens. IMO the game will be won further up field. We control the midfield, their forwards don't get as much as Tom has an an easy day.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see Tommy get a crack at Brown, and I'm sure it will happen at some stage.
    We can't simply expect that Lake is going to play every game until the end of his contract, and Morris is too small to play on the gorillas.
    I know fans are normally highly critical of Williams, but he's playing his 37th game of AFL level football and pinch-hitting against some of the game's stars. A little patience should see us rewarded.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I know fans are normally highly critical of Williams, but he's playing his 37th game of AFL level football and pinch-hitting against some of the game's stars. A little patience should see us rewarded.
    True Mofra - I find myself holding my breath a little when Tommygun is handling the ball, but I'm no expert and even I understand that he has little time on the park to gain experience. I hope that the faith the dogs are putting in him shines through and we reap the rewards of a very athletic, skilled backman in the future!

Post Thanks / Like

Point taken, Mofra. Guess I'm just a little worried about the Brown match-up. I'm usually a fan of Williams.

Post Thanks / Like

Brown is excellent below the knees; Williams is not. I think Brown is more nimble (better turning circle), and better ball controller than Tommy, who he should be able to easily turn inside out.

Post Thanks / Like

Have no problem with Williams taking Brown when he is outside the forward 50 but don't have faith in Williams do get the job done inside the forward 50, much prefer lake, Brown will have to many footy smarts for Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Still remember Williams out muscle Brown last season, to take a strong mark.

More of that please