Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Sledgers at all clubs

Jon Ralph - Herald Sun - 17 April

THE Herald Sun has done its annual round-up and club-by-club survey of the best sledgers.

Article in full...

Similar article in the HS has this to say:

NSIDERS REVEAL THE AFL'S TOP 5 SLEDGERS

1 STEVEN MILNE (ST KILDA)

He isn't nicknamed Yapper for nothing. Dubbed the game's best sledger by Pies captain Nick Maxwell last weekend, Milne breaks through the banner and the talking starts. Four quarters later, he is still going.

2 COLIN SYLVIA (MELBOURNE)
    You can take the boy out of Mildura, but ... Sylvia has not let a court appearance for an altercation with his girlfriend dim the intensity of his verbal run-ins with opponents. Across the competition, his reputation as a sledger precedes him.

3 BRIAN LAKE (WESTERN BULLDOGS)
    Rivals are far from complimentary about the quality of Lake's sledging, but he is undeterred. They say that, unlike some players, he is far from malicious but can keep up a running commentary, especially if the Bulldogs are in control of a game.

4 BRENDAN FEVOLA (BRISBANE LIONS)
    It should not surprise that Fevola's verbal output is random, often hilarious, and not always aimed at his opponents. Capable of ripping into a teammate just as often as a rival, Fevola can't keep out of the action. Now that he is united with Jonathan Brown, they could form the league's best double act in more ways than one.

5 BRET THORNTON (CARLTON)
    A surprise packet given he boasts one of the league's most dismal win-loss records. But Thornton goes hard, and goes early. Not noted for classiness, but intent on verbalising with his direct opponent.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS
    Barry Hall, Chad Cornes, Alan Didak, Daniel Kerr, Brock McLean

* One of the funnier sledges I heard of was Brett Voss for St.Kilda lining up for goal & his brother Michael, one of the better slesgers going around yelled, 'My father's ****ed your mother!'
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sledgers at all clubs

I think this sums up Fevola nicely:

He says stupid stuff, then laughs at his own joke. He is always talking about some bird one of his teammates has been with. It normally comes back to females.
    Class.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd think Aker would be up there, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerific View Post
    You'd think Aker would be up there, too.
    He's mentioned in the article.

"Aker comes very much from left field. Aker is the only one who understands Aker."
    Love it

Post Thanks / Like

Great read in this mornings paper. Love to see some of the fall out if some of those quoted were identified.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Great read in this mornings paper. Love to see some of the fall out if some of those quoted were identified.
    I get the feeling it was the same player for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    I get the feeling it was the same player for some reason.
    I thought it was more than one, 'cause there was a couple of paragraphs for a number of teams with a slightly different point of view. In saying that, probably two players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I thought it was more than one, 'cause there was a couple of paragraphs for a number of teams with a slightly different point of view. In saying that, probably two players.
    Yeah true, could even be a recently retired player or 2.

In answer to your other question, not sure if we want the crows to win or lose today.
    Perhaps for them to get a win.

Post Thanks / Like

I would've thought Hudson would be our biggest sledger - Dustin Martin even made reference to him being sledged by Hudson recently about him leaving school so young.