Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs Fan in the clink

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Definition of Meh:

Indifference; to be used when one simply does not care. The verbal equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Initially the club was given the member's name incorrectly by the media which led to the confusion as to whether he was a member or not. It has since been clarified & he is a member.
    Yeah he has been a member for years, and whilst it was a dumb, well, stupid thing to do, he has spent 2 nights in the lock up, surely more than enough punishment plus the embaressment, i really hope he doesn't get his membership suspended as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he should sue.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt another issue which will be beaten to an inch of it's life!Just wondering why that woman who threw a cup of grog on Johnson wasn't thrown out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I hope you are kidding. Whilst I do not condone his behaviour at all to suggest that even one night in lock up is fair is absolutely ridiculous.

To put it into perspective for you, when Hurley kicked and punched a taxi driver he spent only a few hours in lockup.

If Fevola was in your face giving you a mouthful in the heat of the moment I would hope the average person could summon the mental strength to do nothing in return. But a silly reaction (probably executed in a relfex manner without thinking) to flick half a beer in his face, whilst unnacceptable, is hardly serious criminal behaviour and to be stripped searched and spend two nights in jail? I am no lawyer but I bet they are hoping that he doesn't have the cash for a good attorney because I suspect even the judge realised that it was extremely heavy handed.

I think a far more appropriate course of action would be to eject him for the game, give him an official police caution, and to give him a punishment that actually fits the crime... an approprite AFL or club enforced sanction that prohibits him attending games for a set period (perhaps 1-3 months like a hotel barring).

If you read the report about the lady that threw beer on Johnson, she too was an average footy fan and she seemed sincerely sorry for her actions for the unprovoked attack. At the time all parties involved seemed to acknowledge that it was just a bad judgement call and the embarrassment of the incident was probably punishment enough.
    Nope. This is stupid behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated. Maybe the inconvenience of two nights in the lock-up and the hassle of re-organising and paying for flights will remind this guy that he is an adult, and should behave accordingly. It's the type of ugly thing (violent swearing and disregard for others also) that makes me cringe when I see/hear/read about it. And I don't see the Hurley incident as giving this any perspective. IMO Hurley got off way too light.

BUT I agree with you 100% on the second part of your response that I have bolded.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure this idiot is the same one who copped a beating from a Collingwood supporter at the Dome a few years ago for having an overly smart mouth from first bounce to final siren.
    Just when we think our players and supporters are better behaved than those involved with other clubs, up jumps this clown. Time to grow up old man.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny stuff getting behavioural advice from Voss!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    Nope. This is stupid behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated. Maybe the inconvenience of two nights in the lock-up and the hassle of re-organising and paying for flights will remind this guy that he is an adult, and should behave accordingly. It's the type of ugly thing (violent swearing and disregard for others also) that makes me cringe when I see/hear/read about it. And I don't see the Hurley incident as giving this any perspective. IMO Hurley got off way too light.

BUT I agree with you 100% on the second part of your response that I have bolded.
    I agree that the behaviour is grossly unacceptable but it is far from criminal. Therefore suspending his right to attend games for a set period is a far more logical consequence and he still earns a harsh lesson and it still acts as a heavy deterrant for others.

Whether you think Hurley did or didn't get off lightly is almost irrelevant. He didn't. So a bloke who commits a very serious crime walks out of the police station 7 hours later and a bloke that underarms 300mls of beer on the back of a players back gets two nights and a strip search. It is comparing apples to oranges a bit but it still illustrates the point.

If he had of done this in a pub he would be equally the idiot he is but would have got nothing more than turfed out of the pub. I still wouldn't want this type of behaviour representative of our footy club and I too would still cringe, but lets take away the hysteria of a celebrity being involved and see it for what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    ‘‘I got a lot of beer tipped over me by Brisbane supporters, but the police didn’t seem to worry about that,’’ Davey said.
    I find that bit pretty important, what's the difference between a player and a supporter in terms of legal rights for safety and wellbeing? There's no way he deserved 2 nights in a cell for that! Especially when that hag who poored beer all over Johnno got off scott free. Rubbish double standards everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

There'd be no room left in prisons by your standards over the weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    There'd be no room left in prisons by your standards over the weekend
    Agreed, my stance is on the strong side, but IMO this guy's way out of line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I agree that the behaviour is grossly unacceptable but it is far from criminal. Therefore suspending his right to attend games for a set period is a far more logical consequence and he still earns a harsh lesson and it still acts as a heavy deterrant for others.

Whether you think Hurley did or didn't get off lightly is almost irrelevant. He didn't. So a bloke who commits a very serious crime walks out of the police station 7 hours later and a bloke that underarms 300mls of beer on the back of a players back gets two nights and a strip search. It is comparing apples to oranges a bit but it still illustrates the point.

If he had of done this in a pub he would be equally the idiot he is but would have got nothing more than turfed out of the pub. I still wouldn't want this type of behaviour representative of our footy club and I too would still cringe, but lets take away the hysteria of a celebrity being involved and see it for what it is.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the point of the punishment.

It's not about the hysteria of celebrity at all for mine. It's about our players being able to go about their business without threat or fear of missiles/offensive items coming over the fence at them. I don't like Fevola, but his style adds a certain showmanship that gives footy some of it's great character (Yes, I used the term Fevola and great character in the same sentence, but believe me they would ordinarily be mutually exclusive).

If a player chooses to banter with a spectator or respond to their taunts so be it. Tossing beer on them is not on. Would we all still feel the same if it had been a cup full of urine (and before anyone cries shenanigans, I have seen a feral supporter from another side pi$$ing in a cup at a game)?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not about the hysteria of celebrity at all for mine. It's about our players being able to go about their business without threat or fear of missiles/offensive items coming over the fence at them. I don't like Fevola, but his style adds a certain showmanship that gives footy some of it's great character (Yes, I used the term Fevola and great character in the same sentence, but believe me they would ordinarily be mutually exclusive).

If a player chooses to banter with a spectator or respond to their taunts so be it. Tossing beer on them is not on. Would we all still feel the same if it had been a cup full of urine (and before anyone cries shenanigans, I have seen a feral supporter from another side pi$$ing in a cup at a game)?
    Agree, but the punishment was over the top. Two days locked away for half a cup of beer. At best he should have copped a fine and kicked out of the ground.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

TWO DAYS! What a joke! What did that tart get last year when she threw a keg on BJ??? Nothing no doubt. He shouldn't have done it, but deadset - two days !

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you that at no time is it ok for anyone to throw anything over the fence and I don't think anyone disagrees with that. The issue is the gross mishandling of the individual that, despite doing something incredibly stupid on the national stage, deserves to be treated with at least a grain of comparison to others that do something similarly incredibly stupid. But like Bornadog said it is this side of things that they got horribly wrong. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree.