Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player review at the half way mark.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    OK.

On a total output basis, yes.
    On a 'influence the game' basis, No. Aker was magnificent in the last quarter against Melbourne when it really counted, sliced Collingwood up in the 3rd quarter especially when the game was on the line, kicked two early against the Lions to shut them up and two late against the Dorkers to put any thought of a comeback out of their tiny minds.

I think Aker has been good at important times, though average in the main. I think Eagle has been OK, and has not reached any great heights at all.

He does not deserve the flack he is copping from some supporters though - he remains in our best 22, and it isn't even close.
    Good call on Aker for mine. Lots of experts have been saying he's done nothing, but if Walls was right in saying he was got for the close games he could shape when the pressure was on, then he's been fairly decent. He's helped us win 4 games when the heat was on, which is an ok return given his injuries and time away from the game. (Perhaps you could make an argument for his Hawthorn game as well, where it sounded like he sliced them up early to help establish our lead.)

Is a chance to be better next year given some luck, and still has a bit to learn about his team-mates and vice-versa. Depends a bit on whether he can put a few quarters together.

I think Eagleton has made more of an effort on his defensive side of his game this year but has struggled to make an impact. Might take him a bit of time to adjust or might be the start of a decline, but like you I can't see who is going to take his place atm.

Post Thanks / Like

Eagleton kicked crucial goals in the Melbourne game, and has done some important things for mine this season at important times.

Post Thanks / Like

13 - Daniel Giansiracusa - Started the season slowly but has become more consistent over the last few weeks. I haven't been unhappy with his performance but I haven't been thrilled either. Gia is supposed to be entering his prime but unfortunately he just hasn't reached anywhere near his ability or promise. I think the balance of the season, with Cross and Griffen out of the side, will dictate if Gia is to ever really be regarded as a truly quality player in the AFL.

14 - Luke Darcy - It's been a difficult season for Darcy after returning from two years in the wilderness recovering from consecutive knee reconstructions but deep down I think we all knew it would be. Just when it looked like Darcy would be relegated to the Werribee team, putting a big his career in jeopardy, Darcy has shown that he is slowly returning to the type of form we know he is capable of. Not sure how the balance of the season will play out for Darcy but if we can keep him somewhere near his best he will be an invaluable player for us.

15 - Sam Power - Power played some good footy throughout 2006 however his 2007 season has been well short of the mark. Power is still yet to find his true position in the team and unless something drastic happens he could well find himself as fringe player who covers injuries and suspensions. That scenario would really be waste of his ability.
    Power needs to make the most of any opportunities that present themselves for the balance of the season.

16 - Ryan Griffen - After two sensational seasons in the AFL the expectations on Griffen having another stellar season were very high amongst the Bulldog faithful.
    His form through the off season only enforced that view. Griffen has hit the training track hard and was clearly the form player in the team and his move into he midfield seemed nothing more than a formality. Griffen however copped an injury which slowed down his pre-season and his move into the midfield really didn't go to the plan. To make matters worse he copped a knee injury which will sideline him for a number of weeks. Not sure if he can come back and add much value for us for the balance of 2007 but Griffen is a barnstorming defender who can really ignite the team.

17 - Adam Cooney - Cooney's pre-season was also hampered but another bout of OP but after a slow start to the season he has shown some very good form. At times he has struggled with a tag but he has been working through the extra attention opposition clubs place him under and is playing more consistent football. He has also kicked some nice goals this year. It goes without saying that Cooney's work in the midfield and up forward will be critical for us.

18 - Cameron Faulkner - Faulkner must be a very frustrated footballer. His form with Werribee has been very good and consistent however it has not translated into any real opportunities in the senior side. Not sure if he is out of favour with the coaches, but on form he should be in the team. Like Power, Faulkner has yet to establish himself a true position in the team and I guess he is now just seen as a depth player.