Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert Murphy: We're getting things back on track

Murph's latest column...

We're getting things back on track
    BOB MURPHY | The Age |April 22, 2010

''Railway termini are our gates to the glorious and the unknown. Through them we pass out into adventure and sunshine, to them, alas! we return.''

- E. M. FORSTER

IN RECENT times I've been reacquainting myself with the world of train travel, and it's brought the memories flooding back.

As a kid I remember catching the train down to the city with my Ma, and I was absolutely convinced we would hit a train going the other way. To my surprise we made it, and I've never felt that fear again.

As a teen I got on the V-Line from Warragul to the city with one of my first girlfriends. We had grand plans for the day - catch a glimpse of the big city, and see the teen movie American Pie. The girl and I, well, we didn't last long. Nor did many of the stars of that film, but the train ride was a beauty.

Train rides through high school became a lot more frequent after that. I had a mate who lived about 20 minutes down the line, which at the time felt like quite a journey. I realise now life takes us on far longer journeys every day.

When I left school, football took hold and I've pretty much avoided any train trips since. I even had a four-wheel drive at one point. I guess everybody disappears up their own backside at some stage.

The point is, after a long sabbatical, I'm back on the rails and feeling like Dorothy as she put on her red slipper. A perfect fit.

Up until this past week it has been smooth sailing, too. Actually it's been a blast, although if anyone from Melbourne's new rail operator is out there, it wouldn't hurt to put a few human beings on duty at suburban stations, and maybe an extra few trains on the Sydenham line. And I imagine West Footscray station was a bit more inviting back in the good old days when the Doggies were still playing at ''The Kennel''.

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Robert Murphy: We're getting things back on track

It would be awesome to see Bob Murphy on the train! Too bad I'm always on the Werribee, Lilydale or Belgrave lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Has he moved to Taylors Lakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Has he moved to Taylors Lakes?
    I read on another thread he's living somewhere like Fairfield/Alphington/Heidelberg?? Gets the train into town, then the Sydenham line to West Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Murphy lived in Fitzroy. I remember reading it somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

He is such a great guy. I was down at training a few weeks ago and had a tour of the Elite Centre with my daughter and her friend, and the only player to say hello was Murph. Everyone else just starred and kept walking past us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post
    I thought Murphy lived in Fitzroy. I remember reading it somewhere.
    Since his family is expanding he has moved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkie View Post
    It would be awesome to see Bob Murphy on the train! Too bad I'm always on the Werribee, Lilydale or Belgrave lines.
    Arkie, you do get around. Not all on the same day I hope. Or are you a train driver?
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    I read on another thread he's living somewhere like Fairfield/Alphington/Heidelberg?? Gets the train into town, then the Sydenham line to West Footscray.
    I know for a fact that he's moved to Ivanhoe. Saw him at my local the day he moved in.
    He often gets seen walking around the shopping strip with his kids.

And BTW a "Fact" is ... A tiny mite that sits on the balls of deep sea fleas catching fish farts to make air bubbles in spirit levels.

You always wanted to know how they got those air bubbles in didn't ya!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Arkie, you do get around. Not all on the same day I hope. Or are you a train driver?
    Ageo you just got a mention

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Nah not a train driver. I live in Altona but go to Swinburne University in Hawthorn. So I always have to change trains at Flinders St. and get on the Belgrave or Lilydale line to get to Glenferrie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    I know for a fact that he's moved to Ivanhoe. Saw him at my local the day he moved in.
    He often gets seen walking around the shopping strip with his kids.

And BTW a "Fact" is ... A tiny mite that sits on the balls of deep sea fleas catching fish farts to make air bubbles in spirit levels.

You always wanted to know how they got those air bubbles in didn't ya!!!!!
    Bugger!! I worked in the Ivanhoe Shopping strip for 16 years and NOW Murph moves in????

Post Thanks / Like

it's great to read that Bob supports getting more staff on the Metro system....something very close to my heart!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by western monkey View Post
    it's great to read that Bob supports getting more staff on the Metro system....something very close to my heart!!
    Yeah. I agree. Especially staff at suburban stations late at night.