Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Situation not fair on Richmond outcast Jordan McMahon

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    I think this is the crux for Dogs fans. We'd mostly wish him well, but this slap has left a pretty sour taste.

IMO his biggest problem is that he is mentally fragile as a player. That's not really meant to be a slur, but confidence is a massive thing in the big league and he drops his head too easily. It doesn't help that he's built like a 16 year old girl.

And what's with the moustache?
    To stop all the sixteen year old boys hitting on him?

edit: Oh crap, I didn't read all the posts. Scraggers beat me to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    To stop all the sixteen year old boys hitting on him?

edit: Oh crap, I didn't read all the posts. Scraggers beat me to it.
    That's ok. That 'tasche needs all the bagging it gets.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I have some sympathy for Jordy. Yes he left the Bulldogs. Yes he took a swipe on the way out. However he is clearly within Richmond's best 22 and way, way, way too good for VFL football. Sheahan has a point. If Jordy was not going to be part of Hardwick's plan's why not sit him down and say so? Why not orchestrate a trade to the Saints where I think he would fit quite well? Better than paying a guy £350k to rot in the ressies

Post Thanks / Like

McMahon is living proof that this game is 99% played between the ears. He was terrific for us in 2005-6 when his private life was settled, and his form deteriorated sharply in 2007 when his private life started pulling apart at the seams. I find it interesting that St Kilda were into him in the off-season - in hindsight he would have been a safer bet than Lovett to run the lines for them, and at 26 is still reaching his peak years. Clearly he has no future at Richmond but I wonder, if he can get his head right, that he might still have an AFL career in 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    That's ok. That 'tasche needs all the bagging it gets.
    Well in that case:

Vote for Jordy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    McMahon is living proof that this game is 99% played between the ears. He was terrific for us in 2005-6 when his private life was settled, and his form deteriorated sharply in 2007 when his private life started pulling apart at the seams. I find it interesting that St Kilda were into him in the off-season - in hindsight he would have been a safer bet than Lovett to run the lines for them, and at 26 is still reaching his peak years. Clearly he has no future at Richmond but I wonder, if he can get his head right, that he might still have an AFL career in 2011.

You would think with 80 odd extra spots in the next two years there has never ever been a better time to be an AFL fringe player or be given a 2nd chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    You would think with 80 odd extra spots in the next two years there has never ever been a better time to be an AFL fringe player or be given a 2nd chance.
    or in Jordies case a third.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I love the write up in the AFL prospectus, if you go to Jordan McMahon, Fantasy Freako says "Id rather Callan Ward".
    Must've missed that by Freako. It's a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Personally I couldn't care less. He gave our Club an unwarranted serve too as he left for what he thought were greener pastures. Shows the type of person he is.
    Being disappointed for both McMahon and Brown with how their careers disintegrated after turning their backs on the Dogs is not an emotion I've experienced as yet.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what, this is a bit out of left field, but what if he came back to the Dogs at bargain basement type prices (ie. sixth pick in the pre-season draft type thing)? Obviously there's a lot of water that has to go under the bridge for that to ever happen, and I, too think that he's a knob that shouldn't have bagged the club on the way out, but if he gets his head in the right space, apologises, knuckles down and works hard, he would be a direct replacement for Eagle (that Farren was supposed to be) in the next few years, and we aren't exactly flush at the moment for lightning runners through the middle with a decent kick. At 26, too, he would be just coming into his prime as an athlete, and we would get immediate value out of him for the next 2-3 years while our window is wide open. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    You know what, this is a bit out of left field, but what if he came back to the Dogs at bargain basement type prices (ie. sixth pick in the pre-season draft type thing)? Obviously there's a lot of water that has to go under the bridge for that to ever happen, and I, too think that he's a knob that shouldn't have bagged the club on the way out, but if he gets his head in the right space, apologises, knuckles down and works hard, he would be a direct replacement for Eagle (that Farren was supposed to be) in the next few years, and we aren't exactly flush at the moment for lightning runners through the middle with a decent kick. At 26, too, he would be just coming into his prime as an athlete, and we would get immediate value out of him for the next 2-3 years while our window is wide open. Thoughts?
    Why? He'd never get a game and we could be developing a kid with that list place.

Jordy will be tearing it up in the SANFL next year, if he can be bothered.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Why? He'd never get a game and we could be developing a kid with that list place.
    For the reasons highlighted.

I don't see that there is a like-for-like replacement for a gut-running mid that Eagle is on our current list.. Wood may well be the next best option, but his kicking isn't as deep as it should be yet. Howard and Tutt are the obvious kids in line, but they may not be ready for a couple of years, while Jordy would be ready to step right in. Maybe. If the stars align. Just a thought!

ps. I guess we could go down the mature age rookie path to find a runner, but Jordy may be further along the development curve than anyone in the VFL/SANFL anyway. The Saints wanted him for precisely the same reason this year...

Post Thanks / Like

For the reasons highlighted.

I don't see that there is a like-for-like replacement for a gut-running mid that Eagle is on our current list.. Wood may well be the next best option, but his kicking isn't as deep as it should be yet. Howard and Tutt are the obvious kids in line, but they may not be ready for a couple of years, while Jordy would be ready to step right in. Maybe. If the stars align. Just a thought!

ps. I guess we could go down the mature age rookie path to find a runner, but Jordy may be further along the development curve than anyone in the VFL/SANFL anyway. The Saints wanted him for precisely the same reason this year...
    What would the point in having a player who can definatly run, but continually turn the ball over? As Terry Wallace said "he looks good when he runs", unfortunatly for himself, he doesn't do much else, in regards to Eagleton, at least Eagleton tackles, is hard at it, has a body on him that wont be brushed aside. like what Jordy has, and he simply does not gut run anywhere near what Eagleton does.

If Jordy was playing decent footy, was at our club right now, or for the next 2 or 3 seasons, who's spot in the side would he take? If Harbrow moves to the Gold Coast, there is probably a spot there, but part of what makes Harbrow so good, is his attack, is hard at it, doesn't shirk a contest, all of the things Jordy aint!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see that there is a like-for-like replacement for a gut-running mid that Eagle is.. Wood may well be the next best option, but his kicking isn't as deep as it should be yet. Howard and Tutt are the obvious kids in line, but they may not be ready for a couple of years, while Jordy would be ready to step right in. Maybe. If the stars align. Just a thought!
    I reckon there are about a million planets that need to align for McMahon to have an AFL future beyond 2010 (let alone one with the Dogs), not the least of which is his attitude. Relevant to the Dogs, he would also have to re-build some serious bridges with key Dogs people for his shabby comments upon leaving the club. Having said that, players that leave their first club and then return to the club have been quite common in the last decade or so - Croad, McPhee, J Murphy, Salmon amongst others.

Based on his rapid development from 2004 to 2006, had he maintained that level of improvement there is little doubt that he would currently be a top 50 player in the competition - he certainly wasn't a turnover merchant during this period of his career. But he needs to get his head space right - it is all wrong at the moment and his career has suffered accordingly. That means working out whether or not he actually has that burning desire to succeed at this level - if he's content to live a life of relative leisure, the SANFL beckons as Sockeye rightly pointed out. It is hard to deny that he has some genuine talent, but he also has some pretty deep-seated flaws in his game that the last 3 seasons have done little to rectify.

Post Thanks / Like

The thinking in itself isn't that bad just not with McMahon. For where we're aiming to be will mean having a playing group that must legitimately be able to compete in high intensity finals footy. Pressure and McMahon don't go together. The risk going into a finals series with McMahon would be too great. The opposition would exploit this weakness in an instant.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a reasonable question to ask - if he provides value to the side then great, but a guy like Reid (rumours suggest his manager wasn't happy with his lack of gametime last year) or Wood would quite rightly be a little miffed if they are missing out on opportunities now and they are likely to continue into the future if someone who already walked out on the club starts sompeting with them for spots.

Not every fringe player will have the loyalty of someone like Addison (named as emergency 10 times before debut).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers