Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favourite Racing Moments

My favorite race put to music. The 1992 Cox Plate by Melbourne band Mr Floppy;

https://www.last.fm/music/Mr+Floppy/...2+Ws+Cox+Plate
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Favourite racing moment has to always be when you win big! Mine was Derby day 2010 when Lion Tamer won the Derby on a rain soaked track. My dad, brother & i picked the quaddie that day & it was a very healthy pay out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    These are over and above Nicks.

1. Kingstown winning three Cox Plates, especially the last one and the famous call by Bill Collins when he said "and Kingstown no chance."

2. Family of Man and Surround dead heat in the Alister Clarke Stakes 1977. A friend asked me to put a huge bet at the track on Family of Man to win. It was a fantastic battle by two champions.
    Never thought I'd see Kingston Town's feat bettered, then along came Winx. Freak.

Re-reading the bit about Surround and Family of Man, I remember watching a video on Youtube on Surround's career (I think it was a VRC production from the 80s), and her regular jockey, Alan Trevena, was telling the story of her winning the Caulfield Guineas in 1976.

He said he got her into a good spot, slightly back in the field, with FoM in his sights. As they got around the 600 he heard the course commentator call "Here comes Family of Man". He thought to himself "You better look about three lengths back, I've got him well beat". Sure enough, Surround romped home, and then went on to win the Cox Plate that year as a 3yo filly, a feat still unsurpassed. Sadly, Trevena couldn't make the weight for the Cox Plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    My favorite race put to music. The 1992 Cox Plate by Melbourne band Mr Floppy;

https://www.last.fm/music/Mr+Floppy/...2+Ws+Cox+Plate
    By a fair margin the greatest race field ever assembled in Australian racing history.

Between four horses being taken out in a fall and the protest at the end it was a riveting race.

Post Thanks / Like

I worked at Flemington for a few years. The Diva's cup wins were something special. Turned off my walkie talkie and wandered up to the top of the stand to watch. The atmosphere was incredible. I used to sit in the stand before my shift on Cup day at about 4:30am, solo, and listen to the roar of crowds gone by, thundering hooves of all the champions. A spine tingling few moments every year.

5. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coup...be65b5b08e2ba7

Melbourne Cup drama as protest changes placings after local upstages foreigners in thriller

Vow And Declare has held off the international challenge to win a thrilling Melbourne Cup but the placings behind him were changed after the first protest in the race since 1991 was upheld.

At the pub I was at today they had the race on the screen but didn’t have the sound on just the subtitles which was disappointing.
    AFL PREMIERS 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coup...be65b5b08e2ba7

Melbourne Cup drama as protest changes placings after local upstages foreigners in thriller

Vow And Declare has held off the international challenge to win a thrilling Melbourne Cup but the placings behind him were changed after the first protest in the race since 1991 was upheld.

At the pub I was at today they had the race on the screen but didn’t have the sound on just the subtitles which was disappointing.
    It was a bloody good win. V&D had to guts it out, he looked in trouble in the straight but found another gear late.

First time since Subzero in 1992 that my dad has successfully tipped a Melbourne Cup winner.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post