Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog Roughead to follow Nic Nat's lead

Bulldog Roughead to follow Nic Nat's lead

By Jason Phelan 11:37 AM Fri 23 April, 2010
    WITH West Coast's Nic Naitanui currently re-writing the modern ruckman's book, Western Bulldog youngster Jordan Roughead is hoping to pen a chapter of his own.

Roughead, 19, will take his first step toward that goal on Friday night when he makes his AFL debut against Adelaide.

"Obviously it's good to stay mobile as a ruckman these days, to be able to get around the ground, get used and get a bit of the football," Roughead says.

"But I've still got to work really hard inside the contest and try to lay a few tackles or put on some shepherds for my teammates.

"I'm certainly hoping that I can be a part of that new breed, but I'm not about to get ahead of myself. I've still got a lot of work to do."

Read more ...
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Roughead to follow Nic Nat's lead

And that he did, great in the ruck and around the ground, Will is in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    And that he did, great in the ruck and around the ground, Will is in trouble.
    I don't see it like this at all -- Jordy did fantastic tonight, but he won't be able to run a whole AFL season out, it's not a bad thing to have three quality rucks to rotate through the season, and now we know that we're well set for ruck stocks when Huddo calls it a day (with Cordy coming along as well, albeit injured currently). Will has a big future with the Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I don't see it like this at all -- Jordy did fantastic tonight, but he won't be able to run a whole AFL season out, it's not a bad thing to have three quality rucks to rotate through the season, and now we know that we're well set for ruck stocks when Huddo calls it a day (with Cordy coming along as well, albeit injured currently). Will has a big future with the Dogs.
    I actually said the same thing in a similar post. To elaborate, Will's formerly near-garaunteed first team spot for the season is in trouble, his place in a finals team is also in trouble, Roughy could well play more than him this year but will need to be eased into it. The beard will need a rest too. After he has long retired Minson will be kicking on and probably more suited to the primary ruck role.
    Will is a cult hero with me and many others here but he just hasnt grabbed the many chances to be effective up forward. It'll be interesting to see how the season unfolds for these three and who makes the grade at the pointy end, how will he take it if he gets dropped for a big game? Its great to have options... but it is Jordans first game against limited opposition, do you think he will keep his spot next week? Its an important game and I think Will is in trouble.
    I hope he smashes them at Willliamstown and makes it really tough for the match committee.

Post Thanks / Like

3 big men per game would be a good option, especially when playing the likes of St Kilda. Plus having Wills and Huddo guiding Roughy would be a bonus.
    Thought Roughy played very well for a 1st game, pity he missed those 2 goals.
    3 goals in your 1st game would have been a pearler

Post Thanks / Like

He might become a handy CHF?