Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Youngsters thrill Eade

Hoping that both hold there spots for St Kilda.

24-4-2010

Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said promising youngsters Jordan Roughead and Jarrad Grant had done enough to retain their spots after the pair impressed in the Dogs' 49-point mauling of the Adelaide Crows at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

Roughead, a cousin of Hawthorn star Jarryd, kicked one goal and should have had a second as a forward and proved just as menacing in the ruck, having replaced underperforming Will Minson in the side.

Grant, the forgotten No.5 pick in the 2007 national draft, provided two goals, including a classy snap in the last term, in his second match and was praised by Eade for his defensive hustle.

"Jarrad kicked two goals, one was a very smart goal,' Eade said.

"I was just pleased with his pressure and his ability to win a 50-50 (contest) or neutralise the ball."

"The forwards, if they aren't in the side at the moment, need to be able to do that."

Eade had threatened to axe Minson before what proved to be a heavy defeat against the Brisbane Lions in Round 4. This time he pulled the trigger, giving Roughead his chance.

"He looked good, took a couple of marks and I think his ruck work was pleasing," Eade said.

Roughead and Grant also helped to re-energise a team that was sloppy and undisciplined against the Lions, a loss which left the Bulldogs, a premiership fancy, teetering with just two wins.

While the Bulldogs started slowly against the Crows, conceding the opening three goals, the contest was never really in doubt from midway through the second term when Eade's men opened up a 31-point break.

"They are a good character group," Eade said.

"I think last week was a bit of an anomaly to be honest. For various reasons that happened. They answered the challenge."

The Dogs were also sparked by Daniel Giansiracusa, who moved into the midfield and responded with a game-high 35 possessions.

Barry Hall was also magnificent with five goals, while the likes of Nathan Eagleton, Ryan Griffen, Brodie Moles and Adam Cooney provided plenty of drive.

Skipper Brad Johnson, in his first game in a month, was rusty at times but still finished with 24 disposals.

Eade said consecutive breaks of just six days between games had taken a toll, with six players 'out on their legs' come the final siren.

"Against a good running team, I thought our players were terrific," he said.

The challenge for the Bulldogs now will be to freshen up in time for a Friday night blockbuster against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.

http://www.sen.com.au/display-articl...rill-Eade/7795

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Youngsters thrill Eade

Don't want to sound nitpicky (not sure if that's a word) but all of the quotes are from the press conference and Eade didn't say they would play next week, just that he was happy with the way they played last night.

Both may well hold their spots but it's really an assumption by SEN rather than a quote.

Post Thanks / Like

I listened to the Press confrence and he did state in it that they would hold their spots

Post Thanks / Like

Roughy should hold his spot after seeing Willy at Willy yesterday.
    He wasn't that impressive, and I love to see Willy using his Massive frame to break open packs.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead impressed me for his first game.
    Did i see a bit of Scott Wynd in some of those marks on Friday or was it the couple of beers I had?????

LxGee Guest

he sure did impress me he missed a few but he can sure go up in a pack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    Roughead impressed me for his first game.
    Did i see a bit of Scott Wynd in some of those marks on Friday or was it the couple of beers I had?????
    The leap on him is fantastic (marking and ruckwork), something that i think we've missed with Will.