Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Unlucky Tom 'Biscuits' Williams a tough cookie

Jay Clark - Sunday Herald Sun - 25 April

HIS teammates call him "Biscuits" because his body has broken down so much, but the truth is Tom Williams is a tough cookie.

Had there been any cracks in the Western Bulldogs defender's character or self-belief, the expectation and pressure on him would have forced him to give up the game long ago.

For almost six years, the man so athletic he is often described as the defender's version of Lance Franklin, has watched the latest batch of AFL draftees go past him, in terms of games and their development.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unlucky Tom 'Biscuits' Williams a tough cookie

I think if his body can hold up he will only gain in confidence and get better and better. We know that he has the athleticism, he just needs football experience and with less than 40 games under his belt, he has a while to go.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

They need a new picture of Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    They need a new picture of Tommy
    Why? He has the new apparel so must be fairly new.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Noticed that Tom is making less mistakes by the week.Must admit every thread I see on Tom I always assume the worst!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think if his body can hold up he will only gain in confidence and get better and better. We know that he has the athleticism, he just needs football experience and with less than 40 games under his belt, he has a while to go.
    Spot on. To me he's shown some real positive signs with his football and just needs to stay healthy.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why? He has the new apparel so must be fairly new.
    Wow it looks a lot like an old 2005 photo of him. Guess he hasn't changed a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like his body has come good. Ifhe can get through this season we should have a player by next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I hope that he gets through this season unscathed and gets some footy miles under his belt. We have all seen the potential he has - may this "biscuit" not get broken again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Spot on. To me he's shown some real positive signs with his football and just needs to stay healthy.
    He has improved.

I no longer cringe when he gets the ball in his hands deep in defence.

The article mentions his disposal as something that he needs to work on but i would think that he isn't too bad in this category. He's actually better than a large number of his teamates. For me his decision making at times is still a problem, and most importantly his contested marking/spoiling in defence.

Tommygun is a big guy but he doesn't seem to have the Brian Lake strength in the legs.
    Lake is the immovable object, body on body i don't think there is a forward in the comp that can beat him, whereas Tom is still in two minds about where he should be, either watching the ball picking it off, or following his man. In 1 on 1 battles he worries me if he gets in front as he doesn't seem to have the strength to hold his position. A gentle nudge and he loses his balance.

I would also like to see Tom run with the ball more. He has to fill a role of either a key match up defender, or he needs to provide run to the backline.
    Lake and Morris still seem to be number 1 and 2 options, Hargrave, Everitt and Williams are the next options, and Gilbee and Harbrow are the runners.
    I think we are too heavy and need more run out of defence. What to do with Everitt and Williams in the same side is a big question.