Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Israel Folau?

Post Thanks / Like

Israel Folau?

Has been offered in principle, a $3 million/3 year deal to join Western Sydney.

Apparently Izzy's management contacted the AFL & he has already been put under the watchful eye of AFL representatives, they believe he is able to make the switch. All this according to the Footy Show tonight, Hucthy just broke the story.

Will be interesting to see if it's all true & the AFL come out stating that.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Israel Folau?

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Has been offered in principle, a $3 million/3 year deal to join Western Sydney.

Apparently Izzy's management contacted the AFL & he has already been put under the watchful eye of AFL representatives, they believe he is able to make the switch. All this according to the Footy Show tonight, Hucthy just broke the story.

Will be interesting to see if it's all true & the AFL come out stating that.
    I hope it's true. The more money they splurge on non-AFL players, the less they will have to poach players from clubs like ours.

Post Thanks / Like

This is becoming joke.

If they were going to make a play for a RL flog why wouldn't they go for a player that grew up in the GWS region?

And didn't Izzy leave Melbourne because he missed his family and his church??.... I guess it all boils down to the amount of moolah on offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I hope it's true. The more money they splurge on non-AFL players, the less they will have to poach players from clubs like ours.
    I am the opposite, i love my League & don't won't players like GI & Izzy to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    This is becoming joke.

If they were going to make a play for a RL flog why wouldn't they go for a player that grew up in the GWS region?

And didn't Izzy leave Melbourne because he missed his family and his church??.... I guess it all boils down to the amount of moolah on offer.
    He did didn't he.

He will be great for marketing and worth every cent.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    He did didn't he.

He will be great for marketing and worth every cent.
    Yep, was mentioned that he'd grown up in the area.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone really think these blokes will have the right skills to play AFL.
    Can't kick and throw the ball more than the Crows in a pack.
    As soon as they have any pressure the can fall straight to ground.(holding the ball in our game)
    One or two may be able to play at the elite level but IMO and experiance they make good backman and can tackle but get them in front of goal or need a precise pass you could just recruit Sam Power.

Agree with Chef its is all about marketing.
    Last edited by KT31; 30-04-2010 at 09:56 AM.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Majority of the money used to pay his salary would actually be from the AFL and would fall outside of the salary cap as it would be considered a marketing investment.

As Hutchy stated GWS would only be paying him maybe 400k, when looking at the bigger picture and taking into consideration the youth on their initial list plus their salary exemptions it wouldn't really be that much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Majority of the money used to pay his salary would actually be from the AFL and would fall outside of the salary cap as it would be considered a marketing investment.

As Hutchy stated GWS would only be paying him maybe 400k, when looking at the bigger picture and taking into consideration the youth on their initial list plus their salary exemptions it wouldn't really be that much.
    So the other $600k a year that would not be considered part of the salary cap would be coming from where exactly ????? Is the AFL seen as an independent employer with no direct relationship with GWS or do the concessions for the new clubs include the line
    "whatever it takes to ensure a premiership" ?

Regarding the recruitment of NRL players, their real value on the field will be wholly dependent on their ability to deliver the ball by hand and foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Found the answer to my question.

It appears that GWS have an inflated Salary Cap and an inflated Marketing Allowance. The reality is that the AFL is paying it all, but only half goes into the cap.

AFL may help $3m Folau bid
    JESSE HOGAN
    April 30, 2010

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Does anyone really think these blokes will have the right skills to play AFL.
    Can't kick and throw the ball more than the Crows in a pack.
    As soon as they have any pressure the can fall straight to ground.(holding the ball in our game)
    One or two may be able to play at the elite level but IMO they and experiance they make good backman and can tackle but get them in front of goal or need a precise pass you could just recruit Sam Power.

Agree with Chef its is all about marketing.
    He needs to switch from being a power athlete to an endurance athlete. They can't teach him to run 15 km at pace overnight.

Post Thanks / Like

Just another marketing tool. Ihope he looks more a natural AUssie Rules player than Karmichael Hunt!!!Those ads Hmmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Yep, was mentioned that he'd grown up in the area.
    Yep, he grew up in the western part of Sydney and didn't move to Queensland until his mid teens.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

All we need now is some Inglis and some Hayne and we'll have poached all of the NRL's best young talent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    He needs to switch from being a power athlete to an endurance athlete. They can't teach him to run 15 km at pace overnight.
    Murph covered almost 18km from half forward one game.
    No player has broken the 20km per game barrier yet apprently, Cross was the closest at 19.8km a game (only includes players wearing GPS equipment as far as I can tell).

Billy Slater is regarded as teh hardest working RL player, he covers up to 14km a game. I don;t think it will be too hard to get some players up to the required level, but I don't think many League players could make the switch. I'd say Folau would be better suited than Hunt, even though Hunt played Aussie Rules as a junior.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers