Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Minson shows off old-style rucking

WESTERN Bulldogs ruckman Will Minson says his traditional ruck style still has a place in the game despite the emergence of fleet-footed Bulldog Jordan Roughead and West Coast ruckman Nic Naitanui.

Minson, who shone for Williamstown yesterday, was dropped by the Bulldogs two weeks ago, giving the impressive Roughead an opportunity to relish the big stage as back-up ruck to Ben Hudson.

But the Bulldogs face a tough decision - whether to recall Minson for Friday night's clash against Melbourne

"I don't think there is a Nic Naitanui type. I don't think I necessarily have to change my game too much … I'm back here [at Williamstown] working on a few things around the ground … Nic Naitanui is his own player. There's not too many ruckmen like him," Minson said.

Minson had a dominant game in the ruck against Port Melbourne's David Fanning and was used as "an extra midfielder".

It was just his second stint at VFL level in two years.

"I was pretty happy with my game," Minson said. "The conditions at VFL level are a lot different to AFL, but I felt better out there this week … It's a new experience because I haven't played for Williamstown before. My last time in the VFL was for Werribee, their arch rival.

"I'm back here, obviously, for a reason. I'm not playing good football … Jordy's obviously in the team and they've given him a go and it's up to me to fight for it and get my spot back."

Bulldogs development coach and Williamstown coach Peter German said: "I thought Will played a solid game from the start. His game was great. He basically rucked for the whole game. He had a couple of chances forward and if he capped it off with a couple of goals, it would have been great."

Midfielder Stephen Tiller played his first VFL senior match on return from a groin injury and got through unscathed, while Josh Hill continued his development as a midfielder.

"We played him there [midfield] and a bit forward. He had a really good first half and he probably lost his impact on the game in the second half," German said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...0501-u0b5.html
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minson shows off old-style rucking

Maybe Will, will be back this week as Roughy looked to be sore from his straped shoulder.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

'Midfielder' Stephen Tiller?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    'Midfielder' Stephen Tiller?
    I think he was talking about Hill there.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Dilemma.

"We are facing Melbourne" on that premise I'd say rest/play him in VFL another week but geez, Mark Jamar is one of the best ruckman so far this year you'd have to say..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Interesting Dilemma.

"We are facing Melbourne" on that premise I'd say rest/play him in VFL another week but geez, Mark Jamar is one of the best ruckman so far this year you'd have to say..
    No get Will in and give him first crack at Jamar. He has beaten Jamar in the past and give Huddo and easier game.
    Could even rest Huddo .. he can't carry the ruck all year.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the reasons Minson was dropped was due to his increase in weight (according to Eade). Has he dropped any weight in that 2 weeks playing at Williamstown?
    If Roughy is fit, he deserves at least one more game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    If Roughy is fit, he deserves at least one more game.
    Agree. He hasn't done anything wrong and had a solid game last Friday.