Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our next captain?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    When we our players to pick their opponents in the last few minutes of Friday nights game to try and force a turnover Higgins was one player who wasn't working hard enough. A captain should be the one setting the example by busting his gut to get to his man and then getting stuck right into the bludgers who aren't. Higgins fits comfortably within the bludger group at present and until he gets out of it I don't think he is captaincy material.
    Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought a captain should be the one moving the ball with clarity and intent when no one else can, hitting targets when no one else can. Showing the way through congestion and extending confidence to those around them. The defensive things come second (from a captain's perspective) because it's much harder to lead by example in that respect. I know that as a supporter at least I notice the greatly beneficial things that Higgo does with the ball more than I ever notice him not running hard enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tillerific View Post
    Back on topic- GVGjr mentioned that Cooney seems disinterested at club functions, maybe if he was given the leadership he would straighten up and fly right. I remember before he was drafted after West Adelaide had one the Under 19's premiership (iirc) and Cooney was interviewed after the game. He summed it up beautifully, and paid tribute to teammates who were killed in a car-crash during the year. I just thought that on-field interview showed that he had leadership potential. Would be a worry whether he can captain a side and keep his own game on par, but he is surely a talent. Would also go a good way to keeping him at the club.
    I was at a function last week where Cooney was called up (along with 2 others) and asked a series of questions. As he was about to sit down he was tapping away on his phone and seemed surprised when eventually he was welcomed and a question was directed to him. Slightly later he even didn't hear a question or two directed to him as he was otherwise distracted. It got a lot of laughs and he grinned away like it was all part of the show but it underlined to me that he isn't interested at the moment in being a genuine leader of the club.

I see no good reason to reward that level of commitment with the captaincy and it's a shame because he does have a sharp mind and as a footballer he's a step above even the better players at the club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it on public record, Cooney stating himself that he doesn't want to be captain?

For me, no one really stands out at the moment. Gia has been under Johno for sometime & seems to get a lot of duties when BJ isn't there, but could he go on and carry the club forward by himself as captain?

Boyd is another who has risen from the average midfielder to stand out A grader & very much a general in the middle of the park, seems to be well respected around the club also.

There isn't really anyone else who stands out to me, Morris maybe, but i still don't see captain in him.

There are plenty of players who have been at the club a while, Murphy, Gilbee & Hargrave just to name a few. I don't know what these guys leadership qualities are away from camera, could possibly get a mention.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought a captain should be the one moving the ball with clarity and intent when no one else can, hitting targets when no one else can. Showing the way through congestion and extending confidence to those around them. The defensive things come second (from a captain's perspective) because it's much harder to lead by example in that respect. I know that as a supporter at least I notice the greatly beneficial things that Higgo does with the ball more than I ever notice him not running hard enough.
    Tell that to Brett Kirk, Tom Harley & Cameron Ling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Isn't it on public record, Cooney stating himself that he doesn't want to be captain?
    Yep, he says he's too left field...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

These were my thoughts from the Grant thread

Boyd is the standout and probably should be the front runner for our next captain. He has managed to turn himself into an A grade midfielder so not only is he respected but he is beginning to grow his profile, he has a tremendous work ethic, let's his actions speak for themselves and is one of the guys who is 100% committed to making this a standout club. You can see in the way he is around the boys that he expects 100% from the group and will accept nothing else. I don't think Crossy has enough confidence in himself to really stand up in front of the group and take charge while Morris is probably too much of an insular character to be captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Boydy comes across as a bloke who would chew glass if it meant he could improve himself as a footballer and expects the same from those around him. He's probably not the most popular bloke down at the club because he's there purely to be an elite footballer, rather than just live the life of one.

He's my pick. Let others do the media stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell that to Brett Kirk, Tom Harley & Cameron Ling.
    You think they are good captains? I would have chosen Goodes and Chapman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    You think they are good captains? I would have chosen Goodes and Chapman.
    Yes I do.

They may not be the best players in their teams, but they set the best example by their work ethic, discipline & team before individual ethos.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I do.

They may not be the best players in their teams, but they set the best example by their work ethic, discipline & team before individual ethos.
    This.

I think talent can be overrated when selecting a captain. Sure, it helps but as long as their spot in the side is safe in the long term, I don't think it should be such a massive indicator.

Post Thanks / Like

Give it to Harbrow so he doesn't head north!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    I actually see Harbrow as a possible future captain, unfortunately it looks like it will have to be in yellow, red and white.

Post Thanks / Like

So it's ok for the capatain to not chase or pick up an opponent when we need him to.... Talk about setting the right example.
    Yes Mantis spot on doesnt work hard enough .. we all think Higgins is a gun but the problem is Higgins thinks he is without doing the hard things. Why not Bobbie?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    My mail is he is already gone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hughy31 View Post
    My mail is he is already gone
    Hate to say it but my mail is that he has gone as well, Enjoy watching him this year peoples