Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Cross

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daniel Cross

I hate to add fuel to the fire and shaft the one player I love and believe represents us the most out of the playing list (For dedication)

Cross is a gun and if you watch him closely he blocks and chops out, for his better "skilled" players around him. I know he will deliver once again and I think he has kicked more and kicked better this year than others years gone past.

I'm sure he knows and understands that his days are numbered but he has got the rest of the season left in him, as for next year depending on the development of the young guys coming through he may be just list clogging and we may be better long term to blood the kids.

I would have Eagle, Aker and Mitch ahead of him at this point for retiring.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest some of you might check out the stats for Cross, from PRO STATS. For last week, he won -

11 contested possessions (3rd highest for the Dogs), but well under some players from other clubs.
    10 tackles (the most).
    7 1%ers (equal 2nd highest behind Gilbee's 8)
    4 clearances (3rd highest),
    7 first possessions (the most)

27 disposals (5th highest, 22 handballs),

Some of these stats are the important ones that coaches value. Of course he made mistakes, but you would think by some of the commentary here that he contributed very little.

Maybe the load is being spread around more so he doesn't appear to be as noticeable as previously. I can't tell if he is doing what the coach wants, but these stats suggest he is still doing the hard stuff.

His stats for the previous week were just as good.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you Metal, can't help but be a bit mystified with the criticism being dished out to Cross. There are much bigger passengers in the team at present.

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    I suggest some of you might check out the stats for Cross, from PRO STATS. For last week, he won -

11 contested possessions (3rd highest for the Dogs), but well under some players from other clubs.
    10 tackles (the most).

Some of these stats are the important ones that coaches value. Of course he made mistakes, but you would think by some of the commentary here that he contributed very little.

Maybe the load is being spread around more so he doesn't appear to be as noticeable as previously. I can't tell if he is doing what the coach wants, but these stats suggest he is still doing the hard stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post

10 tackles (the most).

I get why some people can get frustrated with Cross mainly because of his handball first mentality and his kicking skills not being anywhere near where they should be but his consistency is just terrific.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with GVG. He does have his weaknesses but I think he more than makes up for them overall. However I don't have him in that gun category anymore, but think he can get back up there will a tweak or two to his game.

I get his reluctance to kick but there are times were turning around, looking for an obvious handball and putting a team mate under pressure are is probably going to be worse than his kicking. I think his kicking isn't great but it's not as bad as he seems to think it is (he seems to think he will miss his boot).

I would also like him to be more close checking and sacrifice his own game/getting the ball. He more than knows his limitations when he has the ball, perhaps he should use that when he hasn't got the ball. He is a natural ball winner, so he will still get enough of it. He is tough and has a great tank. The Saints have Jones, the Cats Ling and I would like to see Crossy as more of an inside tag.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the camp that believes Cross has had a good start to the year without being brilliant. I believe his blocking,chopping and tackling in close have been excellent, yet as many have pointed out, his hands have been uncharacteristically fumbly (is that a word?) this year.

One thing you can be certain of with Crossy is that he knows his limitations and will play a role as required for the good of the team. I think this season he has been instructed to kick more and a clanger seems to stick in the mind of supporters alot more than an effective disposal.

The other thing we aren't sure about is whether the ankle reconstructions have made the joints tighter and have affected the spring he got out of them, which may also affect his confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I get his reluctance to kick but there are times were turning around, looking for an obvious handball and putting a team mate under pressure are is probably going to be worse than his kicking. I think his kicking isn't great but it's not as bad as he seems to think it is (he seems to think he will miss his boot).
    Tend to agree with this, and this is sort of why I think he's had a bit of a down year. His handballing has been fairly average as far as awareness goes, and as others zone off him expecting a handball, and hone in on the closest target, he has (on quite a few occasions) ended up handballing to someone about to get run down.

Sometimes a quick 30m kick, of the Cross variety, will be better as he can often weight a ball to a good spot, and should be able to put the ball in front of someone by foot and they can gobble it up.

It's an option I'd like to see him take more often, especially when the handball targets are shut down, but I guess that's an awareness issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Tend to agree with this, and this is sort of why I think he's had a bit of a down year. His handballing has been fairly average as far as awareness goes, and as others zone off him expecting a handball, and hone in on the closest target, he has (on quite a few occasions) ended up handballing to someone about to get run down.

Sometimes a quick 30m kick, of the Cross variety, will be better as he can often weight a ball to a good spot, and should be able to put the ball in front of someone by foot and they can gobble it up.

It's an option I'd like to see him take more often, especially when the handball targets are shut down, but I guess that's an awareness issue.
    Definitely seems to be his biggest problem so far this season. Hopefully he's working on ways to eliminate the errors as they've been very costly.

His kicking over 30m is generally pretty good IMO. Robert Harvey made a legacy out of those 20-30m passes and I think Cross could too considering how hard he runs and how much of the ball he consistently finds.

Agree with others he needs to play tighter. Our midfield lacks a defensive edge and he's a type that could change that around.

Post Thanks / Like

thats attempted 30 metre pass on his left foot in the last qtr reminded me why he handballs more than he kicks. Sometimes you need to work with your strengths hence why he generally handballs more than he kicks.

Post Thanks / Like

Big props to Crossy for his game tonight. Conditions certainly helped him but his ability to nullify Melbourne midfield's forward thrusts by cleverly positioning himself defensive side of the play was very important. He also distributed by hand and foot a lot better than previous weeks. Was in our best 5 players tonight (he just missed out on votes from me).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Big props to Crossy for his game tonight. Conditions certainly helped him but his ability to nullify Melbourne midfield's forward thrusts by cleverly positioning himself defensive side of the play was very important. He also distributed by hand and foot a lot better than previous weeks. Was in our best 5 players tonight (he just missed out on votes from me).
    That's exactly how I saw his performance last night.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly since Sedat shot Bambi , Cross has been consistently named in our best by WOOFers. Thoughts?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Are you lurking out there, Crossy??? Hm?

Don't worry, this week we love you...

Post Thanks / Like

Bump

Just announced his retirement !!
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Bump

Just announced his retirement !!
    Legend. Never put a foot wrong. Can't wait to see him back where he belongs.
    "It's over. It's all over."