Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Eade defends role in St Kilda scrap

Rocket breaks his silence about Friday's 'spectacle'...

Eade defends role in St Kilda scrap
    May 4, 2010 - 1:38PM

Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has defended his side's part in last week's scrappy AFL game against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.

The Saints' three-point win was roundly criticised by commentators and fans as an ugly spectacle, with too great an emphasis on defence.

The aggregate score of 95 points was the lowest in 475 games played at the ground and the combined 13 goals came at an average of 66 disposals apiece.

Eade said he had not listened to much of the criticism, but felt that sometimes it was necessary for teams to focus on shutting down opponents when trying to win.

Rest of article here

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eade defends role in St Kilda scrap

I didn't mind Friday nights game(apart from the last 4 minutes) for a change, but you wouldn't want every team playing that sort of football all the time.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly, I didn't even realise it was so crap until I looked up at three quarter time and saw the scores. It was certainly an absorbing contest.

Having said that, I was weaned on soccer as much as I was on footy so am not necessarily the best gauge. Seven goals in soccer is a goalfest!

Post Thanks / Like

It was so frustrating to watch, one of the worst for a long time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It was so frustrating to watch, one of the worst for a long time.
    The game nearly killed me

Post Thanks / Like

I loved it until 5 minutes from the end.

Post Thanks / Like

I was sitting there thinking, as we were 23 up, before p***ing it all away, that if we'd won, it'd be a really unsatisfying win. For mine, it was dull and uninspiring for large chunks of time.

Add to that the fact that we P***ed it all away, and it made for one unhappy camper...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

At 3 quarter time I was waiting for the sucker punch and sure enough it was delivered.

If you allow a team to dictate terms, even if you have the better of it for most of the match, in the end they will have your arse in their sling.

What Rocket needs to explain IMO is why he let it happen, again.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

boring game............if we want that lock down shit we may as well watch rugby, afl is separated from the rugby shit for its fast and exciting game play.

if we had won, it would have been more relief then joy (that sitting there watching it for 2 hrs was not a waste of time) however i only watched the 1st quarter...............taped the rest so i could go back and watch it if we had one...............but (unfortunately) or fortunately...............i didn't have to put myself through 3 more quarters of that shit,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    At 3 quarter time I was waiting for the sucker punch and sure enough it was delivered.

If you allow a team to dictate terms, even if you have the better of it for most of the match, in the end they will have your arse in their sling.

You might be waiting a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Perhaps you should ask him!

Happy to PM you with his email address, though I suspect you may already have that.

Be grateful if you could let us know how you get on.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Go Bulldogs Go Guest

That was the worst game I have ever been to in my life. It's always such an effort getting to the ground on a Friday night, and to have to suffer through such a boring game is hard to take. Certainly would turn me of AFL if the team played like that every week.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Rocket is on the same wave length of a lot of Posters....including me...when he said "But certainly from our point of view we'd like to move the ball a bit quicker and we probably fell into the trap a little bit at times".

That sums it up for me perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

I too found it an incredibly frustrating/boring game to the point I almost got my book out of my bag to read. To then lose it in the way that we did I went from bored to angry in the space of 5 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta Love Ross Lyon he claimed on Saturday Morning that the only reason they played that style was because of his side turning the ball over constantly!Hate to plagerise (spelling?) but if Lyon told me it was raining I'd step outside to check. We fluffed our lines in this game simple!!