Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Key Dogs need to steer team to a premiership

If nothing else, I think Robert walls (who I generally disagree with most of the time) has identified our most talented 2 players right now. I think those two can seriously make the difference between good and great seasons for the club. Its probably not that simple - but Coons and Bobby have to burn if we are to get in the picture of winning the flag.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to see some parallels between the discussion on this thread and the one about who should be our next captain. Common theme seems to be that there's no one quite prepared to stand up in a leadership capacity at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As soon as we win the premiership, whoever it is that played well on that day will be said to "have stepped up when it was on the line".

In reality, all it means was that he had a good day at a good time. Good players have more good days, so there's more chance that a good player will have a good day when it counts.

Brereton kicked 8 in a losing grand final.
    Brereton got owned by Ryce-Jones in a grand final.

Was Brereton a star or a muppet?

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt the man who can play the role and hopefully will is Boyd. He has a bit of the Hayes about him in his dependability and ability to win the ball, he is relentless in his desire to be the best and demands the same commitment from those around him. His skills are fairly underrated and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a massive game tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    What absolute rubbish.

Please explain to me the link between the change of name and demanding respect on the football field.

How many times must the Footscray/Western Bulldogs issue be addressed? I thought that was put to bed years ago.

At least it was by the vast majority of supporters.

Get over it - it is changed forever.

With respect to Walls' article, I don't think there is a lot to argue with. It is a fair summary of the state of play.
    Couldn't agree more.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    This is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As soon as we win the premiership, whoever it is that played well on that day will be said to "have stepped up when it was on the line".

In reality, all it means was that he had a good day at a good time. Good players have more good days, so there's more chance that a good player will have a good day when it counts.

Brereton kicked 8 in a losing grand final.
    Brereton got owned by Ryce-Jones in a grand final.

Was Brereton a star or a muppet?
    All of this is a terrific point. Well said.

Time to head to the footy 'lunch' has gone way too long - so will exercise caution rather than posting late tonight....Go Dogs!

Post Thanks / Like

We certainly found our man in the last ten minutes tonight, Lakey stood head and shoulders above the rest after going forward in the last.

Post Thanks / Like

Walls is right,unfortunately! The best thing to come out of tonight was the players finished off tonight. Blimey we were close to having a critical eye on the players

Post Thanks / Like

"Hall is battling to keep his emotions under control and will do so until the day he retires"

I really dislike the way everyone is just hanging for Baz to slip up. From this by Walls, Craig Hutchison on Footy Classified, everyone seems to want him to fail. IMO, he's been great thus far. Last week he messed up a bit, but no worse than any other player has. Where's the obvious evidence that he's "battling"? Is it the tall poppy syndrome? Why do we (the general public) seem to want someone to fail?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    "Hall is battling to keep his emotions under control and will do so until the day he retires"

I really dislike the way everyone is just hanging for Baz to slip up. From this by Walls, Craig Hutchison on Footy Classified, everyone seems to want him to fail. IMO, he's been great thus far. Last week he messed up a bit, but no worse than any other player has. Where's the obvious evidence that he's "battling"? Is it the tall poppy syndrome? Why do we (the general public) seem to want someone to fail?
    Are you serious? I have about half a dozen Hall images in my head from this season alone where i felt he was about a whisker from killing someone. Stuff you NEVER see from 99% of the players. The guy has huge anger-management issues, that so far he has managed to keep in check. Sure he gets baited, but then how stupid is he to expect anything else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Are you serious? I have about half a dozen Hall images in my head from this season alone where i felt he was about a whisker from killing someone. Stuff you NEVER see from 99% of the players. The guy has huge anger-management issues, that so far he has managed to keep in check. Sure he gets baited, but then how stupid is he to expect anything else?
    Fair enough, I've felt he's done well thus far. I've seen maybe two things that have had me a bit worried. In the Collingwood game, and last week's 'hand in the face' stuff. I think because of his past indiscretions, he's being almost expected to crumble. I prefer to give him a fair go.

And yes, I am serious.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, I've felt he's done well thus far. I've seen maybe two things that have had me a bit worried. In the Collingwood game, and last week's 'hand in the face' stuff. I think because of his past indiscretions, he's being almost expected to crumble. I prefer to give him a fair go.

And yes, I am serious.
    Ok two things in seven games that many players wouldn't do in their entire careers.

To be fair, there's no doubt he gets more than his fair share of attention from well, everyone really, because of his past. No doubt at all about that.

Actually I give credit to his team mates that have gotten between him and the other bloke to diffuse a couple of potential explosions. Good on the boys for that.

Even so, I get the worrying feeling with him its not IF he'll explode, just when...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok two things in seven games that many players wouldn't do in their entire careers.
    In the Pies game, I don't recall any hitting or attempted hitting. Pushing, mouthing off, getting in people's face - happens all the time. last week, he gave a dumb free away, which happens every game to someone (and most games to Will!) and pushed his hand near someone's face. That's not that bad, IMO.
    To be fair, there's no doubt he gets more than his fair share of attention from well, everyone really, because of his past. No doubt at all about that.

Actually I give credit to his team mates that have gotten between him and the other bloke to diffuse a couple of potential explosions. Good on the boys for that.

Even so, I get the worrying feeling with him its not IF he'll explode, just when...
    Which goes back to my original point of people expecting him to fail...to me, that's just unfair.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think with johnno not playing in the mix does make the other seniors looking for that spark/motivation when it is needed to win now?

Post Thanks / Like

And yes, I am serious.
    I'm sure it was happening at Sydney (but who ever payed attention besides DryRot?) but whenever we have a set shot at goal opposition players run at Hall, trying to get a reaction and a free reversal. It looks so orchastrated it must be on instruction.

If the umpire would grow some goolies and pay a free against the initiator rather than the bloke being swamped, perhaps this blight on the game would go away.