Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitchell Hahn - Its Time to Go

In the now immortal words of the Great Gretel Killeen....

Mitchell Hahn needs to make way for others. My main reaons are below:

1 - Barry Hall, Barry and Mitch play similar bullocking games at a similar pace. Barry though is bigger and far better.
    2 - Jarrad Grant - Offers Mitch's defensive pressure (but with pace, a tank and chasing), while offering clean hands and a fast leading option (unlike Mitch)
    3 - In high pressure games, Mitch all too often goes missing (see any final against Geelong), and worse he makes costly errors, see his critical decision in the St Kilda game that resulted in a turnover and momentum swing. See his fumbling and turnover against the Pies in the one pointer last year that resulted in the Dale Thomas goal. See his poor kicking for goal under pressure. See his blind panicked kick to no-one against Melbourne last night and his miss of an easy shot for goal (did anyone think he would kick it?)
    4 - Mitchell lacks composure, skill, decision making and clean hands under pressure (unlike Grant who played a key role in winning the game last night with clean hands, cool goal kicking and strong defensive pressure - his last effort resulted in the Griffen goal).
    5 - We cannot carry Hall, Johnson and Hahn's lack of speed/defensive pressure (Hahn's lack of speed, Johnson's poor lateral movement when trying to lay a tackle) in the forward line.
    6 - Hahn's opponent will zone off him with comfort to double team Hall, our players don't play through him well enough (I would suggest because they don't have faith in him) and when they do, he fails to get possession or kick the goals to make his opponent accountable.

Frankly, Hahn has let us down time and again in big games and with Hall in the team his bullocking role is played by Hall, but better. And Grant now offers far more with his defensive pressure and cleaner hands.

Mitch thanks for your service, but really you should only be picked to play the role that Hall plays if/when Hall gets injured or suspended.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mitchell Hahn - Its Time to Go

I disagree wholeheartedly sorry Kelvinator. Mitch is still an important member of our forward line, and I would go as far as suggesting that he is the best one on one player at the club, his ability to win a contest with clever body positioning and awareness is second to none.

Even last night, when he didn't have a great game, he managed 6 inside fifties from just 12 touches. In the two games before last night he was in our top bunch of players. Unfortunately people are just too quick to jump on him on the back of one or two bad performances. I think he still has a lot to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. His role in blocking and providing support is really important. watch him have an influence in Sydney

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/n...h&surname=Hahn

Here, the stats confirm, more hot than not is our Mitch.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 09-05-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Same could be said about Hall, when we're not winning the ball cleanly out of the middle and delivering t lace out or when opposition put extra numbers in the backline he has been completely useless!

If we improve up the ground and have a consistant forward set up we can get away with both, otherwise you would select neither based on current form.

Post Thanks / Like

These people who are so bloody quick to want to push players into retirement are beginning to give me the shits...get off their backs just for 5 mins for god sake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PWebb View Post
    These people who are so bloody quick to want to push players into retirement are beginning to give me the shits...get off their backs just for 5 mins for god sake
    I like the way Kelvinator has given his reasons for his opinion and if anyone disagrees, they should argue with some substance and not with emotion.

Hahn was shown wanting last night with the pace of the young Melbourne legs, but against some opposition, like last week, his style can be handy. 28 disposals against the Saints and only a handful last night.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You sound like the Collingwood supporters who were calling for the head of Dale Thomas after the semi final against Adelaide last year, when Malthouse gave him a task and he sacrificed his own game to help disrupt the Crows' gameplan which led to a Pie win.

Unless you are amongst the inner sanctum of the match committee, and know the precise role of each player, it is fraught with danger to criticise a player on statistics alone.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest disappointment with Mitch last night was at times he appeared to give up on the chase very quickly. Forward pressure should be a huge part of his game but at times he looked a little disinterested, not Mitch-like at all. I actually wondered whether he was not 100%.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    My biggest disappointment with Mitch last night was at times he appeared to give up on the chase very quickly. Forward pressure should be a huge part of his game but at times he looked a little disinterested, not Mitch-like at all. I actually wondered whether he was not 100%.
    Good point Underdog. There were a couple others who dont put in too hard for the chase. Josh Hill and Ryan Hargrave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like the way Kelvinator has given his reasons for his opinion and if anyone disagrees, they should argue with some substance and not with emotion.

Hahn was shown wanting last night with the pace of the young Melbourne legs, but against some opposition, like last week, his style can be handy. 28 disposals against the Saints and only a handful last night.
    Totally agree with you there.

I have nothing views that I think are negative or positive as long as logical reasons are provided.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't necessarily disagree with the general idea that there may be others better/better suited to the roles he's played. But realistically, are they gonna pay him to play in the twos for the rest of the year? IMO, they'll try and extract anything good out of him.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    True, but the more worrying thing for me is that he seemed to have company in that regard.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    you sound like the collingwood supporters who were calling for the head of dale thomas after the semi final against adelaide last year, when malthouse gave him a task and he sacrificed his own game to help disrupt the crows' gameplan which led to a pie win.

Unless you are amongst the inner sanctum of the match committee, and know the precise role of each player, it is fraught with danger to criticise a player on statistics alone.

here, here!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    You sound like the Collingwood supporters who were calling for the head of Dale Thomas after the semi final against Adelaide last year, when Malthouse gave him a task and he sacrificed his own game to help disrupt the Crows' gameplan which led to a Pie win.

Quote Originally Posted by PWebb View Post
    here, here!!!!!!
    Amazing how mindless negativity is smashed here (justifiably) but mindless positivity is OK.

So what are we meant to do guys? Either praise selections or assume that a player who is seemingly in poor form is actually playing a stealth like super secret role devised by our MC?

I'll KISS

Mindless positivity= bad
    Mindless negativity= bad

Why is he wrong about Hahn? What do you actually think Hahn brings to the side to warrant his spot in the 22?

Post Thanks / Like

BTW I actually think Hahn had a good game against the Saints and think he will suit Sydney's style next week. Assuming he is fit (I think his game has a very small margin for error and should only be played when he is the practical version of 100%) I would definitely have him in the side ahead of Stack.