Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Round 8 Games

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 8 Games

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think we underestimated how much they're battling and played accordingly. If we had our time again, we'd be much more aggressive.
    Agree. The tactics, whilst not wrong, were not the optimal method of playing them without Riewoldt. With Riewoldt, perhaps that would have been the best option, in which case it's good to get the practice for when he comes back later this year.

Ah well, we're fourth =]

Post Thanks / Like

Great result for us, St Kilda have well and truly lost their aura, big trip to Subi for them next week, hopefully the eagles put them to the sword.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Would have been sweeter if we hadn't given them their only win in the past four weeks.
    My absolute annoyance at that result dissipated 7 days later when we stole one back. Looking back I'd much prefer to learn a bitter lesson in Round 6 than in September.

Post Thanks / Like

The last two weeks have put a different slant on our loss to the Saints for me.

After we lost a game we should have won against a fellow top 4 contender (or even contender). It was another loss in a big/blockbuster (quality of sides blockbuster not ANZAC day blockbuster) type game.

Now I feel as if an ordinary team just pinched a game off us that we should have won comfortably.

Despite rating the side we lost to less, I oddly feel better about it as I think it says less about how we fare against the best sides and just see the loss as a big mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    They have more (albeit talented) skunks that roll the dice and run ahead of the stoppage than any other team in the competition. Guys like Didak, Swan, Davis, Thomas, etc.. rely on Collingwood winning the stoppage battle and are then in acres of space when they do break, which leads to several soft goals. These guys are very good at finding space and even better at punishing the opposition when they do. That's why they were so keen to get Jolly and Ball to the club to bolster their stoppage capabilities. Have to say they have been extremely effective at it all year, as we witnessed first hand in Round 1.

Easier said than done, but put the clamps on their inside ball winners (in particular Pendlebury), thereby preventing them from winning the clearance battle, and the skunks don't get anywhere near as much space to run riot. They certainly won't be getting that much space come September.
    That isn't one of our real strengths as Picken & Addison play the role of 'outside' taggers and we don't really have anyone else capable of fulfilling the task as the 'inside' tagger at present.

To win in September we are going to have to be able to shut down (at the very least reduce the impact) the likes of Ablett, Judd, Hayes & Pendlebury so it's something I supect the MC are planning for.

Boyd & Cross struggle in the role or are best used in other ways so I am not sure who else we can call on. Perhaps Ward or Reid could be used, not sure??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That isn't one of our real strengths as Picken & Addison play the role of 'outside' taggers and we don't really have anyone else capable of fulfilling the task as the 'inside' tagger at present.
    What's an inside tagger? Isn't that just a guy who goes in and gets the hard ball before the other inside guy gets it ie. Brett Kirk and Cam Ling (who have both erroneously been called 'taggers' on occasion)? In that case Boydy and Crossy are our go-to guys for that, with Ward, Gia, Addison and Coons able to pinch hit 'inside' as well.

The only real 'inside tagger' on any list at the moment is Clint Jones, and he doesn't have to win his own ball because he's a cheating maggot that is allowed to get away with murder when trying to stop his direct opponent from going for the loose ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Reid's effort on Bartel last year sticks in my mind.