Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rest on cards for Hall

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Barry Hall says he might be rested from a match in the coming weeks as he attempts to withstand the rigours of a 15th AFL season.

The 33-year-old admitted to playing below full fitness over the past few rounds and said a week off could be on the cards.

"Maybe. I haven't really spoken in depth about it but I'm starting to feel the wear and tear of the AFL season at this stage," he said.

"The last two or three weeks I've gone into games sore.

"I've certainly got to take professionalism to another level, which I have this week, just to get myself up.

"I'm not a spring chicken anymore and AFL footy is just getting quicker so collectively it's just getting harder and harder."

However, he said he was a certain starter to take on his former side the Sydney Swans in Canberra this Saturday.

Hall, who left the Swans midway through last season before being traded to the Western Bulldogs, said he hadn't given the prospect of lining up against his former teammates much thought.

"A lot of people have being saying when we play the Swans, but it hasn't really been on my radar that much," he said.

"Stepping away from the Swans, I'm really in debt with the Western Bulldogs and I've just been concentrating on week to week and trying to get myself up and my body right.

"My concentration hasn't been on this game totally but it's always in the back of your mind you're going to play against your old club at some stage.

"I'm handling it ok. Saturday I'll probably be a bit more nervous about it."

He said he didn't expect to receive much banter from the Swans and predicted a match up with premiership defender Lewis Roberts-Thomson.

"They've got a few options up there. Heath Grundy has been in great form and one of their best backmen so far, along with Tadhg," he said.

"He could quite easily come to me as well but I'll be expecting Lewis at this stage.

"He's a great athlete. He can run all day and he's taken some big scalps; he's played on Jonathan Brown and done some pretty good jobs in the past.

"He's a big challenge. He's a hungry young man and I've got to get myself up for this game."

Hall said it was a little disappointing to be facing the Swans for the first time at Manuka Oval as part of the league's agreement with the ACT Government, instead of in Sydney.

He also said he was already anticipating the round 21 rematch at the SCG.

"It would be nice [to play in Sydney] in terms of the weather because it's always freezing in Canberra," he said.

"In terms of the fans, I got to say goodbye but you want to get to say goodbye playing.

"I'd love to play at the SCG and I think we play there later in the year, which is nice, but it would have been good to do it early as well."

Hall said Bulldogs captain Brad Johnson was expected to return from a groin injury but would have to get through training on Thursday before a final decision was made

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/se...8/default.aspx
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rest on cards for Hall

Melbourne game would have been a good one for him to miss in hindsight and maybe he could sit out one of the games have play against North or Essendon.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

If he sits out a match, it will be very interesting to see how the forward line operates.

Post Thanks / Like

Not good for him to be playing hurt at this stage of proceedings, I wouldn't have thought...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with chef - he should have missed the Melbourne game last Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    If he sits out a match, it will be very interesting to see how the forward line operates.
    Absolutely, will be interesting to see if we go back to how we played last year, in fact it might be a great chance to reset the mindset, so to speak. Then bring the big fella back and slot him into the forward line as just another running forward, as in last year — except this one is massive and the entire competition is scared shitless of him…