Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 9 games

Post Thanks / Like

Round 9 games

Well after watching tonight, Geelong are clearly the benchmark.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 9 games

Quote Originally Posted by JH40 View Post
    Well after watching tonight, Geelong are clearly the benchmark.
    Because of the end result or the way they went about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Because of the end result or the way they went about it?
    The way they went about it, were challenged on numerous occasions & stood up.

Ablett had an off night, but Bartel stood up and delivered. I also think there back line is absolutely top notch, they're looking really good again this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Ablett had an off night, but Bartel stood up and delivered. I also think there back line is absolutely top notch, they're looking really good again this season.
    Personally I thought tonight's game said more about Collingwood than it did about Geelong.

I was waiting all night for the multitude of Collingwood options to hit the scoreboard.... but alas just 3 goal-scorers.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see Neon Leon go well in a big game again.

In all seriousness, I thought James Kelly was outstanding as well as Bartel obviously, and Mooney in form makes a huge difference to Geelong.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I thought tonight's game said more about Collingwood than it did about Geelong.

I was waiting all night for the multitude of Collingwood options to hit the scoreboard.... but alas just 3 goal-scorers.
    Agree. They also lack a big target in the forward 50.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it showed exactly why they will struggle in finals & why we have the past few seasons, you can have numerous amounts of goal kickers during the season for certain games. But when crunch time comes in finals, or finals type games during the season. Small forward lines just don't stand up to the task, they needed a big game from Cloke tonight & he didn't deliver.

Mooney & Pods were devastating for Geelong tonight, created tall options & breaking up packs. No one did that tonight for Collingwood, simply because they don't have anyone capable enough to do this. In big time matches, there small forward line falls down & Cloke isn't the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, but it was also the end result, the way they went about it took care of the scoreboard in the end.

Just before & after half time, Collingwood were all over Geelong, had them cold, had all the momentum, but Geelong just flicked a switch, and seemed to go another gear.

From the few games i have watched Geelong play this season, they are going as well as, if not better than anytime over the past 3 years.

That said, and again, no Davis, no Cloke in the big games, at least Didak had a crack, he is another that usually goes missing.

Post Thanks / Like

I always think you learn more in losses than you do in wins, Collingwood have learnt tonight that:

* Wood is a gumby.

* Johnson can't kick and for that reason he shouldn't be playing.

* Davis is a serial non-performer in big games.

* O'Bree is cooked.

* Dawes isn't there yet.

* In big games every one in your team has to be able to kick a goal from 40m - Ball & Macaffer can't.

Who else would like to add to this list?

Post Thanks / Like

* Playing the flanks is the long way home.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Cloke had a very good first quarter but once Taylor was moved off him he went out of the game. Cloke is also so predictable when he gets the ball, loves to boot it long but to who?
    Dawes was disappointing, got his hands on a few balls but couldn't hold on to them.

Heath Shaw is over rated, turns the ball over and gives away too many silly free kicks. I thought the pies did well but when Geelong lifted the pies couldn't find that extra gear.

That Varcoe is such a smooth mover. The cats are the team to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mantis;154014]
    * Davis is a serial non-performer in big games.

We talk about shaggy cashing in all of his credits but Leon wouldn't have many credits left. He has not played one decent game this year and should really be dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post

We talk about shaggy cashing in all of his credits but Leon wouldn't have many credits left. He has not played one decent game this year and should really be dropped.
    Averaging just 12.4 disposals this year.

I know disposal amounts aren't the be all and end all, but Tom Williams is averaging 12.4 per game this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Who else would like to add to this list?
    Constantly peeling off your opponent and running forward of the play can be effective against mid-low range teams; against the better teams, you will get hurt the other way.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, how bad were those set shot misses by McCaffer in the last quarter. 2 shots from 30 metres out, minimal angle & both nearly hit the point post!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!