Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

U18 Championships / U18 Players

Anyone know which are the players to look out for especially the interstate smokies? Most of the highly regarded Victorians are easy enough to scope out but the interstaters are the intruguing ones because many of them have already played some senior state football.

Anyone know much about Alex Rance from WA? 194cm and plays both as a forward and as a defender.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Re: U18 Championships

Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
    Anyone know which are the players to look out for especially the interstate smokies? Most of the highly regarded Victorians are easy enough to scope out but the interstaters are the intruguing ones because many of them have already played some senior state football.

Anyone know much about Alex Rance from WA? 194cm and plays both as a forward and as a defender.
    He is the son of Murray Rance, ex doggy/Weagles

Here is an excerpt from game early June:

The highlight of the first half was the performance of the Swans four debutants including Alex Rance, son of former Eagle and Swan Districts legend Murray Rance. Rance was given the task of keeping one of the Demon’s tall forwards quiet and began opposed to Kane Ransted, and his fellow state 18’s squad member David Ellard began in the forward line and kicked three first half goals.

He is also in the State 18

The Western Australian State 18s squad has been reduced to the final 25 ahead of its opening game of the 2007 NAB AFL National Under 18s Championships against Victoria Metro at Subiaco Oval on June 30.

State 18s final 25-man squad:
    Swan Districts -- David Ellard, Chris Yarran, Alex Rance, Luke Pratt, Tony Notte, Nicholas Naitanui
    Claremont -- Simon Starling, Cale Morton, Matthew DeBoer, Patrick McGinnity
    East Fremantle -- Chris Masten, Rhys Palmer, James Venturini
    East Perth -- Luke Sampey, Tayte Pears, Michael Dawes
    Peel -- Matthew Breen
    Perth -- David Myers, Justin Russell, Cruize Garlett
    Subiaco -- Jarrhan Jacky, Daniel Rich, David Gourdis
    West Perth-- Steven Browne, Mat Tedesco

BESTSwan Districts: Ames, Lange, Ellard, Rance, Garlett, Johnson
    Perth: Sprigg, Zucconi, Kayler-Thompson, Jones, Armstrong, Bossong

Post Thanks / Like

No South Freo boys MJP????

Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking an annual leave day on July 11 so I can go. Anyone else going?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I'm going on the 6th and likely to be OK for the 11th.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    No South Freo boys MJP????
    Which is why they will lose.

South are not flying, but when you have won more than you have lost you would think you might scrape one player into the 25.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I was going to try and make it on the 6th Jim. Want to see what the Jets boys are up too before I commit.

Post Thanks / Like

The WA boys looked very impressive yesterday and they were just to damn quick for Vic Metro. A number of the WA boys in the squad have played some senior footy this year in WA including Masten, Palmer, Breen Rance and Ellard and they also have a handful of players as part of AFL AIS academy including Yarran, Morton, Rich, Naitanui and Notte).
    Not sure if the senior experience helps them that much in the championships but it would be a consideration come draft time.

For Vic Metro Kruezer was good. Given his mobility he could play anywhere. Cothcin would be disappointed with his effort and he didn't handle the tag well. Maric really battles on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The WA boys looked very impressive yesterday and they were just to damn quick for Vic Metro. A number of the WA boys in the squad have played some senior footy this year in WA including Masten, Palmer, Breen Rance and Ellard and they also have a handful of players as part of AFL AIS academy including Yarran, Morton, Rich, Naitanui and Notte).
    Not sure if the senior experience helps them that much in the championships but it would be a consideration come draft time.

For Vic Metro Kruezer was good. Given his mobility he could play anywhere. Cothcin would be disappointed with his effort and he didn't handle the tag well. Maric really battles on.
    Did you see that the average height of the WA team was 187cm with the shortest 180. Todays youth are getting taller and taller.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't see him in the play that much, but there is a strapping 200cm lad from the Western Jets called Will Sullivan. He kicked a lovely goal from a tight angle in the last quarter. Anyone know more about him?
    Crumbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Umm, yep. I do. What do you want to know? Send me a pm.

Post Thanks / Like

Best and brightest: the weekend's top 10

10:41 AM Wed 4 July, 2007 | Back
    By Matt Burgan
    Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
    News

The 2007 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships are being played from June 23 to July 11. For the duration of the championships, afl.com.au is highlighting the 10 players who stand out in each block of matches. These assessments are made purely on their performance in the carnival, regardless of their drafting prospects and eligibilities in 2007. This block has been assessed after the matches played in Perth and Adelaide.

On Saturday, Western Australia upset the fancied Vic Metro, easily winning by 47 points at Subiaco Oval. And South Australia rubbed further salt into the Victorian wound, when the Croweaters produced a comfortable 50-point victory over Vic Country at AAMI Stadium on Sunday.
    1. Rhys Palmer – Western Australia
    Born: February 13, 1989, Height: 180cm, Weight: 76kg, Club: East Fremantle
    Palmer produced an electrifying first-up performance. His pace and dash, along with his skills and flair – particularly when celebrating one of his five goals – were eye-catching. The midfielder/forward won 34 disposals and took nine marks against Vic Metro.
    2. Levi Greenwood – South Australia
    Born: February 19, 1989, Height: 181cm, Weight: 91cm, Club: Port Adelaide Magpies
    The small running defender was outstanding for South Australia, rebounding out of 50 six times and driving the ball inside 50 on five occasions. He finished with 23 disposals and eight marks against Vic Country.
    3. Brad Ebert – South Australia
    Born: April 2, 1990, Height: 187cm, Weight: 86cm, Club: Port Adelaide Magpies
    Hailing from one of football's greatest families, Ebert – nephew of four-time Magarey Medallist Russell and cousin of Port Adelaide's Brett – was his side's leading ball-winner with 27 disposals. He pumped the ball inside 50 with regularity – 11 times.
    4. Nicholas Naitanui – Western Australia
    Born: May 4, 1990, Height: 194cm, Weight: 70kg, Club: Swan Districts
    Of Fijian origin, although born in Sydney, Naitanui is raw, yet extremely talented. He showed plenty to like about his game, displaying great athleticism and enthusiasm. His ruck contest with potential No.1 draftee Matthew Kreuzer was enthralling.
    5. Matthew Kreuzer – Vic Metro
    Born: May 13, 1989, Height: 199cm, Weight: 91kg, Club: Northern Knights
    Touted by many as this year's No.1 draftee, Kreuzer battled hard in an otherwise disappointing showing from Metro. His duel in the ruck with Naitanui was a beauty. Kreuzer finished with 23 hit outs and 17 touches, and he laid six tackles.
    6. Chris Masten – Western Australia
    Born: May 2, 1989, Height: 179cm, 78kg, Club: East Fremantle
    A highly fancied prospect come November, Masten was one of several key link-men in Western Australia's excellent win over Vic Metro. His clearance work was a feature of his game – he finished with six – and he also claimed 26 touches for the match.
    7. Cale Morton – Western Australia
    Born: January 18, 1990, Height: 192cm, Weight: 75kg, Club: Claremont
    The third Morton destined for the AFL – he is the younger brother of West Coast's Mitch and Hawthorn's Jarryd – Cale was highly consistent across four quarters, playing predominantly on the wing. He finished with 24 disposals and nine marks.
    8. David Myers – Western Australia
    Born: June 30, 1989, Height: 190cm, Weight: 85kg, Club: Perth
    Myers won 28 disposals against Vic Metro and was second only to No. 1 Palmer in terms of possessions for the match. He displayed great drive into attack and rebound from defence and was a key element in Western Australia's emphatic victory.
    9. Dan McKenna – Vic Country
    Born: June 29, 1989, Height: 194cm, Weight: 82kg, Club: Gippsland Power
    Vic Country may have gone down to South Australia by 50 points, but McKenna was one player who stood tall for his side, either down back or up forward. He finished with 25 touches – including a game-high 21 kicks – and seven marks.
    10. Matthew Wright – South Australia
    Born: December 14, 1989, Height: 176cm, Weight: 75kg, Club: North Adelaide
    Wright teamed brilliantly with fellow South Australian small forward Hamish Hartlett (three goals) to jag four majors against Vic Country – he was the game's leading goalkicker. He also tackled well and laid four for the match.

Post Thanks / Like

After watching the game on the TV the other day I got all enthused about heading to MC Labour Park today. Now that I have thawed out here is a summary of some of the players that stood out.

WA.
    Rance - Good size, moves well, kicking not bad but not great.
    Palmer - Ball magnet in any conditions, managed the tag well and racked up a heap of possessions again.
    Masten - got a bit of it but his kicking wasn't great. Tough conditions though.
    Myers - Gets a lot of it and is a great prospect. Kicking can be suspect.
    Morton - Great height and pace and uses the ball very well. A real prospect.
    Natanui - Raw but very talented. (to young)
    Sampey - Strong on the lead
    Notty - Pencil thin for a 194cm player but could be a good long term prospect

Vic Country
    McKenna - Plenty to like about him as a tall defender, holds his marks.
    McEvoy - Conditions didn't suit but will make a very good ruckman.
    Selwood - another in a long line of good Selwood footballers. Nice size for a midfielder.

SA
    Hartlett - Talented small, tried hard (to young)
    Ebert - Expected a bit more but he is another top prospect.
    McNamara - Battled hard against Kreuzer. Good size

Vic Metro
    Kreuzer - Fantastic player.
    Grimes - Good sized midfielder type, conditions might have suited him.
    Cotchin - Played off half back, did OK
    Polkinghorne - Stocky midfielder
    Sullivan - Well worth a look at. Very solid ruckman.
    Hurley - FB and a decent prospect.

That WA team is very strong.

Post Thanks / Like

A question for mjp or anyone else. Kreuzer is rated as one of the standouts of the draft this year and he certainly looks to have a great combination of height, pace and ball winning ability but I'm hearing the same type of comparisons about him as I did about Josh Fraser. I know he is 199cm tall but is he really big enough to be a ruckman and/or does he have the skills to slot into a KP?

Post Thanks / Like

This from AFL.com. I wouldn't mind betting that Clayton is keen on Rioli.

Under-18 players look to make mark

THEY are yet to learn whether they will actually make the AFL, but already they carry some of the most recognisable names in Australian football.
    Teenagers Brad Ebert and Cyril Rioli, two of the stars of the current NAB AFL Under-18 Championships who will be up for grabs in this November's NAB AFL Draft, have the talent to suggest they will make the grade.
    But for those who have watched their famous forebears in action, the expectations upon them will far exceed those on most juniors with AFL prospects.
    Speedy Northern Territory defender Rioli could hardly come from more celebrated lineage, boasting both Richmond great Maurice Rioli and Essendon champion Michael Long as uncles.
    "I've had a few people come up and ask me 'Are you going to be as good as them?'" he said of the two Norm Smith medallists.
    "I can't really say that, but I'll try my best to be like them, just follow in their footsteps.
    "Hopefully I can try to do what they've done in the past."
    Mirroring their achievements is asking a lot, but Rioli says his family's history is more of an inspiration than a burden, although he notes it does draw the spotlight.
    "It just really gets your attention," he said.
    "People say 'He's related to Maurice, you want to watch out for him'."
    Rioli is hoping to be picked up by Essendon, but says he is willing to play anywhere to fulfil his AFL dream.
    Ebert, the South Australian captain, boasts a similarly impressive pedigree.
    The son of former Port Adelaide Magpies player Craig Ebert, he is also a nephew of Russell Ebert, the AFL Hall of Fame member who played 391 games for the Magpies, winning a record four Magarey Medals.
    Russell Ebert's son Brett is already carrying on the family's Port Adelaide tradition with the Power, where he was a father-son recruit.
    Craig Ebert fell just short of notching the 200 games the Magpies needed to allow the Power to claim his son under the same rule.
    "I do want to continue the family history at Port Power," Ebert said.
    "But I know that personally I can continue the history playing at any other club as well, so it doesn't really matter."
    The impressive midfielder-forward, who is already playing senior football with the Magpies in the SANFL, said having family members to tap for guidance helped him towards his AFL ambition.
    "You get great coaching from your parents and your family as well," he said.
    "It helps a lot having them there speaking to you and just improving your game."
    But, for now, he says he is ignoring the raft of recruiters on the sidelines and just trying to play good team football.
    "You know that they're all there, but I really put it out of my head and hopefully most of the boys in the team do too, because it can distract people, I suppose," Ebert said.
    "It doesn't distract us, but you see them hanging around the huddles and that, they just want to see what you're like really."