Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: U18 Championships

Worth a read

Normington's new goal
    28 July 2007 Herald Sun
    Gareth Trickey

A MISSED shot on goal after the siren proved a minor setback for Murray Bushranger Ryan Normington.

Making his mark: AFL draft Ryan Normington takes a safe mark playing for Vic Country against Vic Metro this month. Picture: Colleen Petch

The 17-year-old had the opportunity to win last year's under-17 international rules match against Ireland, but a wayward kick turned the dream moment into a brief nightmare."At first I felt like I had let the team down, but you think about it a little more and you realise it's the little things throughout the game that can let the team down more than a kick after the siren," Normington said.

"Looking back on it now it wasn't that big of a deal, but at the time I didn't feel that flash.

"We had game two a week later so I had to get over it pretty quickly and get myself up for the next game."

Normington took last year's setback in his stride and erased all memories of the fateful kick with an impressive TAC Cup debut.

The midfielder averaged 23 possessions a game for the Murray Bushrangers last year.

His consistent form rolled into this season where Normington has collected more than 100 possession in eight games.

His finesse in the midfield caught the eye of state selectors and earned him a spot in this year's Victoria Country team at the under-18 national championships.

"I played fairly average in the forward line in the first two games (with Victoria Country) but in the final game, against (Victoria) Metro, I played pretty well," Normington said.

"I found I settled more in the midfield in the third game. I seemed to get more of the ball and was freed up a little bit."

Buoyed by his performance in the final game of the championships, Normington returned to the Bushranger camp with an emphatic 31 possessions against the Geelong Falcons last week.

Normington is now readying himself for a possible AFL draft place this year.

Murray Bushrangers play Northern Knights at Norm Minns Oval, Wangaratta today.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Re: U18 Championships

Another one worth a read

Knights ready for challenge
    28 July 2007 Herald Sun
    Geoff Poulter

THE revitalised Northern Knights face another searching test against the Murray Bushrangers in the fourth-versus-sixth clash at Wangaratta this afternoon.

The Knights crushed third-ranked Western Jets at Burbank Oval, Williamstown by 55 points last round in their best performance of what has been an inconsistent season. "It is a big game for us," Northern coach Paul Satterley said.

"Murray have won four in a row and they have won them very convincingly.

"They won one of them by 103 points and last week they beat Geelong (by 83 points).

"Last week there were some really good signs for us and we probably had our best win for the season.

"It was a really good performance but we need to be able to back that up.

"That's the biggest thing for us. Just to be able to go back to back with the same effort and intensity and that's our focus for tomorrow."

Satterley said that the Knights had had some good "ins" last week against the Jets with Matthew Kreuzer, Jack Grimes and Brett Meredith among those good players returning to bolster the ranks from recent representative duties.

"These guys make a big difference to our side, there's no doubt," Satterley said.

"They came in and it affected us; everyone really contributed."

Grimes, the Knights' captain, had 34 possessions against the Jets in the Round 13 win.

Michael Hurley and Tim Bongetti both kicked four goals against the Jets, capitalising on Northern's efficient use of the ball through the midfield.

Satterley said the team had prepared thoroughly for the three-hour bus trip to play on one of the Bushrangers' five regular grounds.

"We have really addressed our preparation and how we go about it," Satterley said.

"We have spoken about how we want to prepare for it (including taking) plenty of fluids . . .

"Even though we are above them on the ladder, we are approaching it as sort of the hunters coming into the game.

"(That is) given that they have won four in a row and it is on their home ground.

"They also beat us in Round 3 at our ground.

"We see it as we are the underdogs going into the game, so we are approaching it that way."

The Knights are fourth on the TAC Cup ladder with eight wins at this crucial stage of the season.

They are a game ahead of the Bushrangers, who are sixth behind the Geelong Falcons on percentage.

Murray's Ben McEvoy kicked four goals and Ryan Normington had 31 touches in their big victory against the Falcons last round.

The top teams are favoured to win again in this week's Round 14.

Ladder leader Gippsland Power should be too strong against eighth-ranked North Ballarat in the clash at Casey Fields today and the second-placed Calder Cannons are favoured to get the points against the Eastern Ranges (seventh) at Box Hill City Oval tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: U18 Championships / U18 Players

I really hope we draft a couple of guys with a bit of grunt this year. I know we need a ruckman and a tall forward but I just want us to select players witha physical presence.
    That Rhys Palmer from WA looked like the type of midfielder we need. He wasn't super quick but he was quick enough and used the ball well. at 17 or 18 he already looked strong enough to walk into a senior side like ours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blogger View Post
    I really hope we draft a couple of guys with a bit of grunt this year. I know we need a ruckman and a tall forward but I just want us to select players witha physical presence.
    That Rhys Palmer from WA looked like the type of midfielder we need. He wasn't super quick but he was quick enough and used the ball well. at 17 or 18 he already looked strong enough to walk into a senior side like ours.
    Yep - you are preaching to the converted

If we select another Jay Solomon - 55kg potential apprentice jockey I dont think it will be well received by the members

Post Thanks / Like

Some local results from the weekend

TAC CUP Round 14

DANDENONG 3.2 10.3 12.7 15.11 (101)
    OAKLEIGH 3.2 6.5 9.10 10.13 (73)

Goals: Dandenong: Boumann 4 Simpson 4 Tohiariki 3 Harley 2 Clark Dal Lago. Oakleigh: Scipione 5 Van Unen Edwards Jellis O'Farrell Latsas.
    Best: Dandenong: Simpson Harley Westcott Bastinac Clark Boyle. Oakleigh: Otten Gotch Scipione Inglis O'Farrell Coyle.
    Reports: Nil.
    At Warrawee Park.

GEELONG 5.3 12.4 15.8 20.12 (132)
    BENDIGO 6.1 9.4 13.8 14.12 (96)

Goals: Geelong: Moreland 5 Jull 3 Steven 3 Hughes 2 Scott 2 Staveniuter 2 Ledin Donohue Hickleton.
    Bendigo: Tarrant 3 Holmes 2 Healey 2 Thoolan Martin Coghlan Millard Featherstone Taylor Stroobants.
    Best: Geelong: Staveniuter Jull Steven Ledin Kangars Moreland. Bendigo: Ford Featherstone Holmes Stroobants Millard Selwood.
    Reports: T Hornsey (Geelong) for charging T Petrie (Bendigo) in the third quarter.
    Skilled Stadium.

GIPPSLAND 5.5 12.8 16.11 23.14 (152)
    NORTH BALLARAT 3.3 5.4 9.6 15.7 (97)

Goals: Gippsland: Webber 4 Heyne 3 Blair 2 Connelly 2 Michaelides 2 Blaser 2 Stockdale 2 Endres 2 Oldmeadow Kelly Kay Crosby.
    North Ballarat: Austin 6 Weadon 2 Whiting 2 Peters Linke Tyler Hinkley Roughead.
    Best: Gippsland: Blaser Kay Granger Connelly Woodhead Webber.
    North Ballarat: Austin Whiting Caldow Cheney Peters Delahunty.
    Casey Fields.

MURRAY 2.5 9.8 9.10 14.13 (97)
    NORTHERN KNIGHTS 1.2 2.4 5.8 7.10 (52)

Goals: Murray: Rockliff 3 Terlich 2 Thompson Hebbard Walker Hockey Normington Martiniello Deledio Warnett Garland.
    Northern Knights: Grimes 2 Merkel 2 Bongetti Kreuzer Kelly.
    Best: Murray: Klemke Warnett Boyle Martiniello Rockliff Walker.
    Northern Knights: Bongetti Hurley Totino Kreuzer Brunelli Grimes.
    Norm Minns Oval, Wangaratta.

WESTERN JETS 7.3 9.7 16.11 22.14 (146)
    SANDRINGHAM 1.2 9.5 12.9 13.17 (95)

Goals: Western Jets: McKerracher 6 Lyons 3 Black 3 Morris 3 Schroder 2 Giles Heffernan Lunardi Kennedy Banner.
    Sandringham Dragons: Shakaib 4 Allan 2 Gilder 2 Cook 2 Burnett Robertson Hine.
    Best: Western Jets: Banner McKerracher Morris Kennedy Lunardi Lyons.
    Sandringham Dragons: Shakaib Shaw Calder Gilder Allan Hine.
    Trevor Barker Beach Oval.

CALDER CANNONS 5.3 10.5 15.9 19.13 (127)
    EASTERN RANGES 2.2 4.3 7.6 10.8 (68)

Goals: Calder Cannons: Daniher 4 Arrowsmith 3 Farmer 2 Richmond 2 German Dove Mendico Short Tsardakis Kite May Putt.
    Eastern Ranges: White 3 Dell Aquilla 2 Sloane 2 La Marca Wright Noy.
    Best: Calder Cannons: Robertson Daniher Laidler Buckley Farmer Arrowsmith.
    Eastern Ranges: Walker McDonald Sloane Harding Jones Cunningham.
    Coburg City Oval.

Post Thanks / Like

Versatile Banner top of Jets' class

WESTERN Jets defender Mitchell Banner knows he has big shoes to fill.

Improved: Mitchell Banner
    As a recipient of the prestigious Mike Fitzpatrick AFL Scholarship, Banner stands alongside former scholars Joel Selwood, Paddy Ryder, Jimmy Bartel, Xavier Clarke and Lance Franklin.
    But Banner, who has another year in the TAC Cup, is in no rush to match the feats of his predecessors.
    "I feel pretty good that they put me in the same category as those sorts of players," he said.
    "I'm happy to have that extra year to develop a bit more and work on the things that I've got to work on to make myself a better footy player."
    Banner, 17, joined the Jets in 2006 as an under-16 player. He played two games with the club last season and was selected to represent Victoria Metro in the under-16 national championships.
    This year he has averaged 27 possessions a game, thanks to coach Mark Neeld's decision to move him from the centre to the back pocket.
    The change of scenery has allowed the 185cm defender to evolve into a versatile player.
    "I'm thankful that Mark has put me in a different role this year and forced me to develop my footy," Banner said.
    "One of the things I've been trying to work on is getting a bit quicker."
    Balancing a fledgling football career with Year 11 has given him a new perspective.
    "It helps that the team is a good bunch of blokes and we've been connecting well throughout the season," Banner said.
    "A lot of the top-age players, and more so the captains, help if you aren't having the best game. They pull you through."

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any chance that we would be in a position to select either Lachlan Henderson or Ben McEvoy with our first selection in the draft?
    Henderson is 196cm forward who can have a spell in the ruck and McEvoy is a 199cm ruckman to can take a grab up forward. Both of these player would fit our needs.
    The other player who interest me is Rhys Palmer because he already has had a season of senior football and was sensational in the championship games. Palmer is a tough 180cm goal kicking midfielder.
    Tom Collier is 192cm and versatile and might be one of those famous Clayton targets.
    Anyone else have a few likely names?

Post Thanks / Like

A few people on BF think we should look at McEvoy or Henderson with the first pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southerncross View Post
    http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5595734,00.jpg[/IMG]
    The change of scenery has allowed the 185cm defender to evolve into a versatile player.
    "I'm thankful that Mark has put me in a different role this year and forced me to develop my footy," Banner said.
    Mitchell is fantastic, but:
    1/.He is not 185cm tall
    2/.He is not eligible for the 2007 draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thats Golden! View Post
    A few people on BF think we should look at McEvoy or Henderson with the first pick.
    Anyone else have a view on this? The general consensus I have been hearing is that we should be looking at Ebert, McEvoy, Palmer and Henderson possibly in that order.
    Given we have moved up a couple of positions in the draft order at the moment are these players realistic options?

Post Thanks / Like

Finals bonus for Morris

WESTERN Jets forward Steven Morris is enjoying his football again after two frustrating seasons battling injury.

Courageous: Steven Morris is relishing having a second chance to play TAC Cup football with with the Western Jets after two injury-interrupted seasons. Picture: George Salpigtidis

Morris, the son of Richmond premiership player Kevin, received a lifeline from the Jets this year as an under-19 player. And a full season in the TAC Cup has allowed the 18-year-old to showcase his skills.
    "All I've ever really wanted to do was to play league footy and I honestly thought my opportunity was gone after last year," Morris said yesterday. "To get a second chance has been great."
    His father, a tough ruck-rover, played 110 games with the Tigers from 1971-76 and was a member of the 1973-74 premiership teams. He also played for Collingwood from 1978-81.
    Morris, who is known for his courage in and around the packs, said his father was instrumental in his career. "From what I've heard, Dad used to be pretty fearless and tough," Morris said.
    "He gives me sound advice and it's good to have that father figure who knows what he is talking about."
    The Jets finished fifth at the end of the season and play eighth-placed North Ballarat Rebels today in the first elimination final at Princes Park.
    Morris said he was relieved to be playing finals football after two years in the wilderness.
    "Playing such a high level of football during September is fairly exciting," he said
    "I haven't felt like this coming into a game before. I'm fairly excited and also nervous about the game."

Post Thanks / Like

Cal Ward out on a football clinic today but the disappointing Western Jets were beaten. Ward kicked 6 goals and was the standout player. The Jets went to sleep in the 2nd and 3rd quarters after a very impressive first quarter.

The Eastern Ranges beat the Geelong Falcons and it was good to have another look at Henderson and Cordy.

Fantastic day to watch a bit of footy and I will backup again for another look tomorrow.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Cal Ward out on a football clinic today but the disappointing Western Jets were beaten. Ward kicked 6 goals and was the standout player. The Jets went to sleep in the 2nd and 3rd quarters after a very impressive first quarter.

The Eastern Ranges beat the Geelong Falcons and it was good to have another look at Henderson and Cordy.

Fantastic day to watch a bit of footy and I will backup again for another look tomorrow.
    Is Cordy father/son material - Or is this all pipe dream stuff?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 42-C-3 View Post
    Is Cordy father/son material - Or is this all pipe dream stuff?
    Yes - I would think a certain f/s selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Cal Ward out on a football clinic today but the disappointing Western Jets were beaten. Ward kicked 6 goals and was the standout player.
    Didn't he though?

Cal is going to be selected very, very high.