Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doggies battling to get Aka back on the leash

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    In fairness to Caro, headlines are written by sub-editors, so that at least isn't her fault.
    Okay, I didn't know that, but it doesn't really matter who wrote it, it's still frustrating! Does she have to okay those things??

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it, journos have no control over headlines.

Post Thanks / Like

Caroline should just do what the confidential in the sun does just stalk people's Twitter and Facebook accounts.I'm tired of the little snide comments she writes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Are people disagreeing with the article or who wrote it?

It would seem that Akermanis now makes more money in the media than on the field.

At least 3 times a year he brings pressure and negative press about our Football Club.

Rightly or wrongly people who dont have an interest in football see Akermanis as "our" spokes person and would think his opinions are the clubs opinions.

Now he is struggling on the field more than ever before.

Interesting times for Akermanis; especially if he does spend sometime in the VFL.
    Take it easy Bob; nobody regards Aker as a spokesperson for our club. Let's distinguish between hype and reality.

If you want the club's view Rocket, Cam or Smorgo are the spokespersons. Aker is an interesting and usually intelligent, byplay.

Courage isn't one of the qualities he lacks, so probably there are no real “interesting times for him”, more like yet another storm in a much used teacup. Anybody with half a brain knows what Aker is about, and in spite of his recent supposed gaffs he has yet again raised an issue that needs public airing.

If we are to get to the stage where one's gender orientation is not an issue in sport then we don't need all this hype and condemnation; what we need is cool heads to address the notion that gay guys or in other contexts girls, are constantly “on the hunt”. That they aren’t, and that they are no more promiscuous than you and I, is the issue raised by Aker or "his assistants", perhaps in a somewhat confused and combative manner. From my perspective I'm glad to have it in the public domain.

Let me make it clear my orientation is heterosexual, but that's not a moral or superior position it's just a matter of nature, I have friends of all gender positions, whose sexual orientation is their own business as is mine, except when I engage in debate about it.
    For better or for worse, and one can't be sure what ideas were Aker's and what were either his ghost writer or subbies at the Hun, he/they have raised the issue of “straight” guys not feeling at ease with nude contact with persons of "suspicious" orientations.
    It might surprise some, but this and other largely unreconstructed macho values, still dominate the AFL dressing rooms.

My own experience is that this fear is just another example of a stereotype to be overcome. But until someone identifies the issue it will remain unaddressed. Shooting the messenger doesn’t help; as with all such phenomenon anxiety is at the heart of the matter and being explicit about your fears is the first stage in overcoming them.
    Last edited by alwaysadog; 27-05-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Typo
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    ^^ That's crap, and Caro's insinuation is malicious -- don't be naive about her clear vendetta against the Dogs. Is it also coincidence that she somehow managed to get 'Doggies' and 'battling' into the same sentence?

As I posted on a different thread:

What kind of rubbish is being insinuated by the fact that Aker is getting paid more outside the club? What does that have ANYTHING at all to do with his on-field performance? Not everyone is led by their hip pocket. He said last year that it would be his last because of how tough pre-seasons are, but it was his choice to come back after the club asked him to, on much lower money, and endure another pre-season ONLY because he feels that we are a genuine chance for the flag.

Are we suggesting that he's going to throw all that away -- ie. his last ever AFL season, a chance at a flag, and all the hard work put in over the off-season because he's got an eye on his media gigs? Ridiculous.
    I dont think what I wrote is crap and I stand by it.

Akermanis is struggling on the field and causing negative publicity regarding the Western Bulldogs Football Club.
    Normally when he causes a stir he can back it up on the football field at the moment he is struggling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Take it easy Bob; nobody regards Aker as a spokesperson for our club. Let's distinguish between hype and reality.

If you want the club's view Rocket, Cam or Smorgo are the spokespersons. Aker is an interesting and usually intelligent, byplay.

Courage isn't one of the qualities he lacks, so probably there are no real “interesting times for him”, more like yet another storm in a much used teacup. Anybody with half a brain knows what Aker is about, and in spite of his recent supposed gaffs he has yet again raised an issue that needs public airing.
    I disagree; to the non football follower they would hear more of Jason Akermanis than Rocket, Cam or Smorgon.

I do hope his form issues improve as he can play a vital role on the field and behind closed doors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    I disagree; to the non football follower they would hear more of Jason Akermanis than Rocket, Cam or Smorgon.

I do hope his form issues improve as he can play a vital role on the field and behind closed doors.
    People have been reading/hearing about Aker's issues long before he was a Bulldog, and you are the only person I know that doesn't distinguish between the two.

Regarding his form perhaps a careful look at his body language might suggest that he's carrying.

By the way what do you have to say about the main thrust of my reply to your initial post?
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

It's a bit sad that he lied to the club and deserves whatever punishment that they throw at him.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    It's a bit sad that he lied to the club and deserves whatever punishment that they throw at him.
    What could the range here be?

He was named this arvo, but this revelation became clear tonight (unless the club was aware of it before the team was named and it was only released to the media tonight)

Would we go down the suspension path? Or more severe?

TFS reporting the club aren't happy (what a shock) and Sam looked a little embarassed given he'd defended him previously.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Aker is Aker and he brings a lot to the side.
    Wilson on the other hand ??????????????
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    What could the range here be?

He was named this arvo, but this revelation became clear tonight (unless the club was aware of it before the team was named and it was only released to the media tonight)

Would we go down the suspension path? Or more severe?

TFS reporting the club aren't happy (what a shock) and Sam looked a little embarassed given he'd defended him previously.
    There would be a few people who defended him who would be embarrassed. Maybe a one game suspension would be the best tack.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't a fine suffice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nawrocki View Post
    Why wouldn't a fine suffice?
    We might do nothing other than talk to him.......again.

Lying to the club is pretty low from my perspective - but if the club don't make a big deal of it, it's the last I'll comment on it.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    People have been reading/hearing about Aker's issues long before he was a Bulldog, and you are the only person I know that doesn't distinguish between the two.

Regarding his form perhaps a careful look at his body language might suggest that he's carrying.

By the way what do you have to say about the main thrust of my reply to your initial post?
    I dont think for one second Akermanis is the spokesperson for our club. I however think that other people who are not familar with our game such as international people do as they are not familar with our president, CEO and coach etc.

In regards to the main thrust of your post, I agree with all of you had said. It obviously is still a taboo topic and one that needed to be raised.

Unfortunately it appears that the intention of the article (to commence dialogue) has been lost totally in shooting the messenger.

Perhaps the messanger could've been better chosen and most definetly the forum it was delivered in should've been different but worst of all was the headline. The headline was bound to take all of the focus which it did.

Post Thanks / Like

The headline was horrible. It made the whole thing 10 x worse. I doubt Akermanis would have chosen the headline, the writers often don't. The herald sun is the master of the crass, sensationalist headline. In a way Aker has been taken advantage of here...the paper knew what they were printing was extremely controversial. Being not the sharpest tool in the shed Akermanis is easy pickings imo for anyone that wants to manipulate him to sell papers.

More than anything else though the article was just extremely poorly written. Any point he was trying to make just got lost . All Aker's articles are a mess, no flow, paragraphs randomly jumbled all over the place. They all seem to be written in 5 minutes.