Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Viable Dogs crucial to AFL: report

Caroline Wilson - The Age - 27 May

A GROUND-breaking report into the long-term future of the Western Bulldogs has revealed that the club which faced extinction two decades ago is as crucial to the AFL as Greater Western Sydney.

The report, written by former Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson, has urged the AFL to work as closely with the Bulldogs as it does the league's 18th team, GWS.

The Age understands Jackson's report was presented to the AFL commission some five months after chairman Mike Fitzpatrick questioned the Bulldogs' finances at a meeting with club chiefs last December.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Viable Dogs crucial to AFL: report

Guess that explains what Peter Jackson was doing at the club on behalf of the AFL.

It appears to be quite complimentary of the club and the staff. Interesting to see that we have the lowest number of staff of any AFL club.

The report suggests that the western suburbs of Melbourne could potentially be lost as a market to Soccer gradually over time unless the AFL steps in and does more in the area. For those who live in the area, given the cultural diversity of the region, do you see this as an accurate assessment of the situation?

vho Guest

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Guess that explains what Peter Jackson was doing at the club on behalf of the AFL.

It appears to be quite complimentary of the club and the staff. Interesting to see that we have the lowest number of staff of any AFL club.

The report suggests that the western suburbs of Melbourne could potentially be lost as a market to Soccer gradually over time unless the AFL steps in and does more in the area. For those who live in the area, given the cultural diversity of the region, do you see this as an accurate assessment of the situation?
    Yes i believe so. As a Vietnamese born Australian residing in the western suburbs, it's still true that soccer is still the preferred choice of sport among the Vietnamese community and most likely in the African community too unfortunately. Most of my relatives still view Australian Rules Football as quite a rough and barbaric sport with minimal skill. The one thing they do praise is the free flowing nature of the game as well as the players being able to run all day, but so too is soccer most of the time. The rules of the game is also quite complicated for someone who is viewing the sport for the first time and it can put potential supporters off (Glad we don't play like Sydney or St. Kilda).

It's definately a culture thing as education takes precedence over sport and by quite a margin.
    Having said this, i do know many Gen-Y asian's who love the sport and follow the doggies every week (on TV whenever possible) but never buy a membership. I'm not sure what the reason for this is but i think the Western Bulldogs really need to target these types as once they do commit to a membership their siblings will most likely follow suit.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like only a lot of good can come out of this report, also it just shows what a great job that the staff of the Bulldogs do.

There has been great strides at the club since the dark days and maybe the AFL need to dedicate a club support round to recognize the hard work that is done at the club by the people at the top to the trainer that cleans the boots and the many volunteers that make game day possible.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    On a recent tour of the elite training centre, Rocket said we have one of the lowest spends in the football department. I asked in what sort of areas and it was in staffing such as physios, medical, recovery etc.

I was so happy to read this article this morning as many supporters have been saying for a such a long time that the Western Suburbs is a massive area and so important for the AFL and the continued development of the game. The AFL must ensure we are viable for the long term future of the game out in the Western Suburbs.

First generation Australians in the area may not embrace the game straight away, but their kids want to be Australian and they are the ones that should be targeted. My parents came out to Australia in the 50's from Europe and started following the dogs and took me along to games and I loved it. I don't buy the excuse of a cultural thing amongst migrants that is passed on to their kids. It really starts from school, Auskick, and other competitions where the migrant kids should be encouraged to play the game and also general promotion as the Bulldogs do in the area. I know alot of this already happens, but it needs to be ramped up.

A premiership would also not go asray to help the game further in the West.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The growth in Western Melbourne is as important to the future of footy as the growth in Western Sydney? The dogs need to be treated as a 3 or 4 year old club?

I am not completely sure about that. There are at least grounds in Western Melbourne. The footy is at least on TV in Victoria.

The main thrust of the story is correct - the AFL needs to work more closely with its existing clubs to boost growth of the game within the immigrant communities on the suburban fringe...but this is true in all states - I would further say it is as true in the North of Melbourne as it is in the West. It is interesting the assistance the AFL are providing to GWS re- promoting game participation, yet the same support is not given to the clubs in other states.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

It reminds me of something I read Nick Columb say in 1989 before the board had voted to merge with Fitzroy - something along the lines of 'we've got the whole western suburbs, you've got a little spot in the north sandwiched by Carlton and Collingwood'
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem with Nth Melb and Richmond is they arent in a residential area, they are in the city and havent branched out, another in Carlton are really starting to feel the hurt of not having a suburban base,(they rely more on corporate backing).

Hawthorn, Collingwood and Melbourne have looked at suburban areas and moved out to them in some form to at least get a suburban support base.

If you dont find a suburban base to rejuvenate your membership and are not successful eventually your supporters die off.

Nth were offered a get out but refused it, they are relying on the "poor working mans club" for members to sign up, but sadly its not enough anymore and people get sick of the same old rhetoric after a few years if your not seen to be going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    The biggest problem with Nth Melb and Richmond is they arent in a residential area, they are in the city and havent branched out, another in Carlton are really starting to feel the hurt of not having a suburban base,(they rely more on corporate backing).
    Richmond are building a training facility in Craigieburn.

Post Thanks / Like

They have seen the light then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    They have seen the light then
    Don't know aout that have you been to craigieburn?

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard similar things for years - the AFL is very concerned about soccer (espcially with two Melbourne teams in the A league shortly), and know that soccer is the most popular junior sport played in Australia. The Western Suburbs of Melbourne are a high growth corridor with a high migrant population - perfect for soccer to try and pick off.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vho View Post
    Yes i believe so. As a Vietnamese born Australian residing in the western suburbs, it's still true that soccer is still the preferred choice of sport among the Vietnamese community and most likely in the African community too unfortunately. Most of my relatives still view Australian Rules Football as quite a rough and barbaric sport with minimal skill. The one thing they do praise is the free flowing nature of the game as well as the players being able to run all day, but so too is soccer most of the time. The rules of the game is also quite complicated for someone who is viewing the sport for the first time and it can put potential supporters off (Glad we don't play like Sydney or St. Kilda).
    Seeing as you would have a good perspective on this issue, what do you think could be done to help the Bulldogs gain more support within the migrant communities?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I have heard similar things for years - the AFL is very concerned about soccer (espcially with two Melbourne teams in the A league shortly), and know that soccer is the most popular junior sport played in Australia. The Western Suburbs of Melbourne are a high growth corridor with a high migrant population - perfect for soccer to try and pick off.
    Mofra, this is a perfect opportunity to taunt the North flogs who keep bringing up the financial assistance we receive.

There was no mention in the article of the northern suburbs as a growth corridor
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Mofra, this is a perfect opportunity to taunt the North flogs who keep bringing up the financial assistance we receive.

There was no mention in the article of the northern suburbs as a growth corridor
    The Bombers and Carlton have that sewn up anyway.