Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Viable Dogs crucial to AFL: report

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I have heard similar things for years - the AFL is very concerned about soccer (espcially with two Melbourne teams in the A league shortly), and know that soccer is the most popular junior sport played in Australia. The Western Suburbs of Melbourne are a high growth corridor with a high migrant population - perfect for soccer to try and pick off.
    They don't have to even 'pick' it off. Kids world over (and thus kids of immigrants from everywhere bar the US) grow up on soccer as the natural sport of choice. Even if you don't play it you have a club from your home country that you support, or at least one of the global brands (your Manchester Uniteds, Real Madrids etc.). That's the advantage of being an international sport -- you literally have a club in every city in the world.

In fact, when I deal with international students that I teach, or international musicians that I gig with, the easiest way to connect with them is just to name the club in their home city (I am a soccer geek -- I buy the scarf of the local club of every city I travel to/through).

It's more that footy needs to pick off these kids from soccer, and even then, they will love both, not give up soccer altogether, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's also these second/third generation footy/soccer lovers who find the spats between AFL and FFA etc. unbecoming and distasteful.

Post Thanks / Like

I have said for years the AFL is not doing enough to bring new Australians to our game the Somalian youth are begging to become part of our country.
    I believe leadership in this area is neccesary not only for the Bulldogs and the AFL but also to help the Somalian kids intergrate more smoothly into our county soccer will always be there but if you want to attract 60,000 week after week aussie rules will always be THE game
    It is incumbent on the AFL,state and federal government to get all kids off the street and into sport any sport really but Aussie rules with such a huge number of participants per side is the best vessel if it was afforrdable you would see more kids playing $150.00 registration is out of the question not only for new australians but also for low income earners this is where the government needs to help as much of this is insurance for our kids and keeping junior clubs afloat
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    In fact, when I deal with international students that I teach, or international musicians that I gig with, the easiest way to connect with them is just to name the club in their home city (I am a soccer geek -- I buy the scarf of the local club of every city I travel to/through).
    I am the International Sales Manager of our company and travel regularly.

I always make sure I am up to date with the local league and I know who all of my distributors follow (and which ones don't care, too).

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Somali are much better equiped as they have the thicker bodies but the sudanese i suppose are althletic if not very lean
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning