Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Aker in the Dog house and suspension possible

By Jennifer Witham
    12:56 PM Fri 28 May, 2010

JASON Akermanis may be sanctioned by the Western Bulldogs after the controversial veteran revealed he was entirely responsible for his recent column that suggested gay footballers should stay in the closet.

The Dogs are not expected to act on Akermanis until early next week but some form of punishment has not been ruled out.

"We'll deal with it next week. I'm not ruling anything out," general manager of football James Fantasia told afl.com.au on Friday.

"We just want to get all the circumstances together and have a closer look as a club. Then we'll work out how we're going to deal with it.

"We're going to concentrate on the footy tonight and we'll deal with it next week."

Rest of Article
    Last edited by Scraggers; 28-05-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aker in the Dog house and suspension possible

There is no excuse for what he did, I would give him a spell next week whether he plays well or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is this story still brewing? We don't need this distraction.

The person responsible is Fantasia. He approved the subject matter of the article.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why is this story still brewing? We don't need this distraction.

The person responsible is Fantasia. He approved the subject matter of the article.
    Fantasia approved it initially, then the wording was changed by Aker before it went to print.
    Am I misunderstanding the situation?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Fantasia approved it initially, then the wording was changed by Aker before it went to print.
    Am I misunderstanding the situation?
    No you are correct, Aker is at fault here and no one else to blame. The club shpuld be very angry as it has made the cub look stupid by calling the Herald Sun liars then to find out it was Aker who was lying

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by way out west View Post
    No you are correct, Aker is at fault here and no one else to blame. The club shpuld be very angry as it has made the cub look stupid by calling the Herald Sun liars then to find out it was Aker who was lying
    That could be true and deserves a suspension, as he knows the rules.

What I am saying is that the subject matter is controversial and we should not have approved Aker of all people to write an article on that subject. We don't need this sort of publicity. That is why Fantasia should take the blame.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    There is no excuse for what he did, I would give him a spell next week whether he plays well or not.
    Agree with this.

Been a big fan of Aker but this has been pretty disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't understand why Aker would go against a long standing agreement with the club, and more to the point what he thought it would achieve. It's all a bit strange to me.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Aker really hasn't covered himself in glory so far this year. It was fantastic that he agreed to play on for less cash and I was wrapped at first.

But its not really panning out very well so far and he doesn't seem to recognise the effect he can have on the club as a whole. Sure, his comments & behaviour outside of football may seem like 'no big deal' to him - but rightly or wrongly - the club has to deal with it and pick up the pieces.

Part of me thinks Aker will come good football-wise and be dynamite in September, another part of me thinks he's overstayed his welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I can't understand why Aker would go against a long standing agreement with the club, and more to the point what he thought it would achieve. It's all a bit strange to me.
    Not really when you look at his history.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

He's having a bad run is Aker, both on and off the park. He obviously has a burning desire to win another premiership before his playing days are over, and if he's half-smart he will sniff the breeze and concentrate his efforts in the next few weeks on getting a kick and adding value to the Bulldogs on the field of battle. If he continues to regress as he has done in recent weeks (save for the Melbourne game), he might very well find himself going the way of Edwards and Eagleton. Massive month of football coming up for Aker.

Irrespective of the so-called off-field issues (all of which have been pretty minor with the exception of this latest one), Aker has been a fantastic aquisition to the club. He has added wonderful skill, a team-oriented focus and professionalism, and given the Dogs far greater media presence. It wasn't that long ago that spuds like Jade Rawlings and Ben Holland were openly telling the football world that they did not want to entertain a move to the Bulldogs, so for Aker to willingly choose the Dogs over a number of suitors at the time was really important in building the attractiveness of the Bulldog brand to the wider football public. It has also been a good challenge for our admin to handle someone that doesn't necessarily toe the party line at all times - this has made us a very strong force off field that other clubs pale in comparison to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What I am saying is that the subject matter is controversial and we should not have approved Aker of all people to write an article on that subject. We don't need this sort of publicity. That is why Fantasia should take the blame.
    Apparently Aker wrote a similar article last year, yet no one took any notice of it. Fantasia would not have expected this.

Post Thanks / Like

Water is wet, Sky is blue, & footballers are homophobic!
    Did he really tell us anything we didn't know?????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post
    Apparently Aker wrote a similar article last year, yet no one took any notice of it. Fantasia would not have expected this.
    No, it was when he was with the Lions.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    No, it was when he was with the Lions.
    Well that's what Caroline Wilson said on Footy Classified.