Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  63
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hall of fame

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hall of fame

Love the picture of Da Druid in disguise.
    Just need a pair of Clark Kent's glasses to complete it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Love the picture of Da Druid in disguise.
    Just need a pair of Clark Kent's glasses to complete it!
    Looks like John Barnes if you ask me.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the reports & wonderful photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Looks like John Barnes if you ask me.
    Fair call!

becmatty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Scott West (maybe straight to Legend status)
    Rohan Smith
    Scott Wynd
    Brian Royal
    Steven Wallis
    John Jilliard
    George Bisset
    Herb Henderson
    Jim Gallagher
    Wally Donald
    Joe Ryan
    Good list. Rick Kennedy and Peter Foster won't be far off the mark either. And Johnno will be an automatic legend once he retires...

From our current playing list, who would be potential inductees in the future?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I believe the thinking is for every second year but don't quote me on it.
    They don't want to set a regular timeline, becuase they don't want to be forced into inducting people. When you set an event every one or two years, eventually you have to start scraping the barrel for inductees, and they want the HOF to remain selective.

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    It was an amazing night...proud, emotional, uplifting and poignant. Loved it.

Quite a few comments from inductees about the current group of players needing to take the opportunty that's been presented and end the premiership drought. Agree with them wholeheartedly but couldn't help but think what pressure and expectation they are under. Our players carry a heavy burden when you see people like an ailing Charlie Sutton urging the players to produce the result we are all hoping for. Just hope they were inspired by the living legend.

By the way...love the earlier suggestion that Bob's speech be posted on the website. It captured the night beautifully. Also loved meeting DaDruid briefly
    Geelong carried the same burden into 2007, add to that the GF losses of the past two decades to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I think the banner should have these words on it this week,

"Underneath your shirt you've got a heart and without a heart you don't win."

Good stuff from Charlie.
    100%. Someone get onto Gary about it, let's see it happen…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post

100%. Someone get onto Gary about it, let's see it happen…
    Do you think the players even read what is on the banner?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    Another highlight of the night was an interview with Neil Sachse who came over from Adelaide for the night. After the interview they bought out mannequin with his jumper and shorts that had been cut off his body after the accident. They were auctioned for about $20,000 and all monies was donated to Neil's charity. David Smorgon bought the jumper and shorts to put in the Bulldogs Museum.
    That must have been so emotional - I was there the day Neil had his accident, and it is as clear as day to me. Can't recall just how old I was, but I remember all at the Whitten Oval just held their breath and became very silent. I have heard Neil interviewed a few years ago, and he has a wonderful outlook on life. A great role model.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Quite a few comments from inductees about the current group of players needing to take the opportunty that's been presented and end the premiership drought. Agree with them wholeheartedly but couldn't help but think what pressure and expectation they are under. Our players carry a heavy burden when you see people like an ailing Charlie Sutton urging the players to produce the result we are all hoping for. Just hope they were inspired by the living legend.
    Agree that we don't know exactly what it's like for the current crop of players, but sustained success is always done under the burden of expectation -- if you're good enough to succeed, the pressure will come.

The players have two choices: either the pressure galvanises them into a tough as nails playing group, or they crumble under the weight of expectation. Some clubs seem to love it and thrive under the pressure -- your Carltons, Hawthorns, Essendons etc. -- and others seem to struggle a bit with it: the Saints, Collingwood, Geelong even (their last two GFs have been wobbly as hell), and the Dogs.

All this is easier said than done, sure, but done it must be, or else let's just forget ever winning another flag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Agree that we don't know exactly what it's like for the current crop of players, but sustained success is always done under the burden of expectation -- if you're good enough to succeed, the pressure will come.

The players have two choices: either the pressure galvanises them into a tough as nails playing group, or they crumble under the weight of expectation. Some clubs seem to love it and thrive under the pressure -- your Carltons, Hawthorns, Essendons etc. -- and others seem to struggle a bit with it: the Saints, Collingwood, Geelong even (their last two GFs have been wobbly as hell), and the Dogs.

All this is easier said than done, sure, but done it must be, or else let's just forget ever winning another flag.
    Spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Do you think the players even read what is on the banner?
    Does that mean we should put there “Oh well boys, just have a crack and see what happens?”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Does that mean we should put there “Oh well boys, just have a crack and see what happens?”
    They pretty much do anyway. Hardly inspiring words are on the banner.
    Quiet embarrassing actually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by becmatty View Post
    Good list. Rick Kennedy and Peter Foster won't be far off the mark either. And Johnno will be an automatic legend once he retires...

From our current playing list, who would be potential inductees in the future?
    I was a big fan of those two players, especially Foster, but I doubt they will be in the next batch. The club have indicated that administrators will be eligible for the next batch so I would expect Peter Gordon will be a big chance for his Fightback leadership.

I'm not sure any of the current players (other than Johnno) have done enough yet to be included but looking to the future Cooney is the only one I would feel that confident about. Hopefully we will a flag soon and that will change!

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to note that I can't believe we are in such grand company as seen on the first page of this thread. I'd love to say Thank You to Susan Alberti for your generosity in the donations of item for the Museum. Who knows who else is lurking on here. Hi Jonno maybe????????

No doubt if you read WOOF often then you'll have seen fans do wonder about the historic items (or I do) and it I hopes it's an constant opportunity for fans to see the flag that was actually handed to Footscray when the permiership was won and the later awarded Permiership Cup.

So really, you're AWESOME!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lets just say that Susan is honoured to be a part of the Footscray/WB Football club. Whatever she can do to preserve our history she will do whatever it takes. When the Museum is completely up and running it will be something that you will want to visit with your family and friends and it will also be available to everyone who loves AFL football
    ________
    Mywebcamshookup
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 19-03-2011 at 02:03 AM.