Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  63
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hall of fame

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hall of fame

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Why did he leave?
    Those days you could trade away players for a transfer fee. We needed the money to survive.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes chef, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why did he leave?
    Because BAD kept telling him how disappointing he was.

4. Likes chef, bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why did he leave?
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Those days you could trade away players for a transfer fee. We needed the money to survive.
    Alledgedly Ted Whitten and Peter Box had a fist fight over a woman, and Box walked away.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Alledgedly Ted Whitten and Peter Box had a fist fight over a woman, and Box walked away.
    Chef was asking about Bernie Quinlan

But thanks for the info on Peter Box

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Chef was asking about Bernie Quinlan

But thanks for the info on Peter Box
    FFS my brain is misfiring lately. I'm mixing all sorts of things up. I just aren't excercising it enough I think. More crosswords and less TV is the cure.

Hang on, did I say the fight was over a woman? Sorry I meant to say it was over Bernie Quinlan...

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quinlan could play in most key positions and even in the ruck. I'm sure he represent Victoria as a CHF, CHB and FF.
    He certainly played better football at Fitzroy than with us but he was a terrific player.

From my memory BAD is correct in that Quinlan was traded because of the money we would receive for his services.
    I was only young and was put in my place a few times by my grandfather who was never sold on Bernie's abilities. He thought he was a squib. One day at the Western Oval, Bones McGhie, who was playing for Richmond, and Bernie chased a ball out on the members wing and lined each other up from 30mtrs or so, it was a massive collision and both hit the ground, Bernie just bounced up while McGhie took a while to absorb the contact. Cheekily I asked my Grandfather if he still thought Bernie was a squib. Pretty sure I got a well deserved clip for my petulance
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember Bernie threatening to go to the VFA without a clearence, I think he nominated Port Melbourne, if we didn't clear him.

Post Thanks / Like

I managed to speak to Bernie on the night. Lovely guy who was quite genuinely chuffed at being welcomed back by the Club and by receiving his HOF induction.

It’s great seeing a number of our past players from the 70s start to come back into the fold in recent years.

For all of the external talk of infighting there does appear to be a very positive and conscious effort to rebuild and proactively welcome back those that have contributed so much to the Club over the years. Bernie’s induction, whilst worthy in its own right, also sends a very positive message of unification.

Seeing David Smorgon recognised on the night with a heartfelt speech by Peter Gordon and Alan Johnstone, and David reciprocating his thoughts on Peter also spoke strongly to this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post

Seeing David Smorgon recognised on the night with a heartfelt speech by Peter Gordon and Alan Johnstone, and David reciprocating his thoughts on Peter also spoke strongly to this.
    Steve Wallis said as much on SEN today. He thought it was telling that two hard headed leaders could hold the sort of respect for each other they do, given the nature of how they came into contact as rival ticket holders etc.

14. Likes Doc26, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I managed to speak to Bernie on the night. Lovely guy who was quite genuinely chuffed at being welcomed back by the Club and by receiving his HOF induction.

It’s great seeing a number of our past players from the 70s start to come back into the fold in recent years.

For all of the external talk of infighting there does appear to be a very positive and conscious effort to rebuild and proactively welcome back those that have contributed so much to the Club over the years. Bernie’s induction, whilst worthy in its own right, also sends a very positive message of unification.

You would be chuffed at something like your old club reaching out I reckon. Especially if your new club went down the tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

West and Johnson dead set certainties to be upgraded to Legends status you would reckon.

Boyd, Murphy and Morris all very likely to be added into the Hall at some point. Brisbane are playing in Melbourne that afternoon so Morris likely to be able to attend. However, Fremantle are playing in Perth that evening so I can't see that the other two will be in attendance and may not be added this time is my guess.

Gotta hunch, that Steven Wallis might get a gig. 261 games, a club captain and father of Mitch. Being involved in a sizeable club sponsor (Airport Toyota) won't hurt either.

I expect Wood to be added as a premiership captain and Darcy and Cooney would be chances. Would love to see Peter Foster added as he was a terrific player for us.

18. Likes azabob, bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bernie Quinlan shared the 1981 Brownlow with the late Barry Round. Both started with the Dogs around the same time 68/69. Quinlan was the best kick I have ever seen. At 6'4" and 97kg he would likely also dominate in today's era.

20. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the club is pricing themselves out of attendees with the price of a ticket at $350.00 for a single ticket.

I would like to go but being on a pension I can't afford it.

22. Thanks Stevo thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalek View Post
    I think the club is pricing themselves out of attendees with the price of a ticket at $350.00 for a single ticket.

I would like to go but being on a pension I can't afford it.
    I was talking to one of the player sponsors last round and while she is going she's having trouble filling a table of 10 that she normally would have no problems with stating that similar events in recent years have been priced from around $210 to $250.
    She pointed out some other challenges with it as well. It will be a fantastic night but I'm still in two minds about going mainly due to the price point.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"