Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert Murphy: 'Club is more powerful than any individual'

Murph's article this week talking about the HOF event...

'Club is more powerful than any individual'
    The Age | BOB MURPHY | June 3, 2010

'HIT 'em hard, hit 'em bloody often.''

Saturday night was the inaugural Footscray-Western Bulldogs Hall of Fame function, and it was a beauty. Fourteen-hundred people turned out to honour the first inductees. Our champions. But in reality, the night was about a lot, lot more. In effect, it was a history lesson - on Footscray, football, culture and unity.

I take my hat off to the many people who orchestrated the night. As much as they would have planned meticulously to create a night to remember, the mark it leaves on people so often comes down to whether there is a bit of magic in the air.

Our newest official legend, Charlie Sutton, took care of the magic in his sermon to the red, white and blue mass. The best speeches I've ever heard are from people who put their vulnerabilities on display - it's these weak points that make us human and give the words a bit more credibility.

When Charlie arrived in a wheelchair, it knocked the wind out of everyone. Charlie was vulnerable, no doubt about it, but he was there because he cares. Looking more frail than we'd ever seen him, he took to the stage and spoke with a passion as big as the room itself.

''Hit 'em hard, hit 'em bloody often,'' he cried.

You knew you were witnessing an iconic moment, something that would stay with you forever.

Our two legends on the night were Charlie and, of course, the great E.J. Whitten. E.J's shadow looms large out in Footscray, and it made me think that with E.J. being such a huge part of Footscray and football, that we (as in Bulldogs' people) have shared him with you all.

But Charlie is all ours. He is so dear to us, perhaps because he - more than anyone else in the club's history - put the team before himself. By simply being there on Saturday night, he showed he still does.

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Robert Murphy: 'Club is more powerful than any individual'

I wonder if Acker has read this yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Great Read as always !!!!! Very inspirational to all - Lets see how the Team goes this week.....
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 03-06-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    I wonder if Acker has read this yet?
    Not a coincidence this was the theme for this week's column, presumably.

Post Thanks / Like

Great article - it actually made my eyes fill and my heart swell with pride I would assume that this is how most people felt at the dinner on Saturday night. C'mon boys, let this pride translate to a thumping win on Sunday - pleeeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

Geez that gave me goosebumps. 11am at work on a Thursday morning, that takes some doing.

What a club. I think it's fair to say that, with all due respect to our leadership group and Johnno (who will obviously be inducted at our next Hall of Fame function), if Charlie Sutton was our current captain, we would be dead-set flag certainties.

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie smashed the Melbourne captain John Beckwith early in the Grand Final. Beckwith said the worst part of it was his chin rubbed up against Charlie's hairy chest. Suggested it was like scraping up against barbwire

Charlie was loved by all, especially the patrons in his Albert Hotel. One Saturday Night after a Bulldogs' loss at the Whitten Oval, an opposition supporter made the mistake of calling into the Albert for a drink and then made the near fatal mistake of taking a poke at Charlie who by this time was well into his sixties.

I reckon he got wacked at least once by everyone in the bar. They were lining up three abreast to take a shot at him.

Can't recall but he was probably a Collingwood supporter - would have been out injured for a few games, I reckon

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie was very nearly a South Melbourne player.

I think Charlie was from Altona which was about to be allocated to South Melbourne in the new zoning laws about to be brought in.

The night before zoning started Footscray officials wanted to sign Charlie before he became South's property but when they went to Charlie's house they were told he was at the pictures in Yarraville.

Footscray officials got the picture stopped and the lights put on so they could find Charlie, get him to sign and get the papers to Harrison House before the deadline.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Charlie was very nearly a South Melbourne player.

I think Charlie was from Altona which was about to be allocated to South Melbourne in the new zoning laws about to be brought in.
    He was from Spotswood who they were about to zone to South.

Post Thanks / Like

The comment at the end intrigues me a little.

I guess this issue has had an impact amongst the group, and could explain our lacklustre effort last week.

Hopefully it's settled and we are focussed on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I guess this issue has had an impact amongst the group, and could explain our lacklustre effort last week.
    If this is true, and all it takes to derail our efforts are some bruised feelings and harsh words, apologies for my french, but that's mentally p*ssweak. Did we think we were just going to turn up this season and someone would hand the flag to us? Performing well regardless of the circumstances, internal or external, is a mark of a champion team.

It just seems that we have too many players too busy looking around for an excuse rather than at the mirror and taking some responsibility for their own performances.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Lantern;156908]If this is true, and all it takes to derail our efforts are some bruised feelings and harsh words, apologies for my french, but that's mentally p*ssweak. Did we think we were just going to turn up this season and someone would hand the flag to us? Performing well regardless of the circumstances, internal or external, is a mark of a champion team.

It just seems that we have too many players too busy looking around for an excuse rather than at the mirror and taking some responsibility for their own performances.[/QUOTE]

Which players have been giving excuses for poor performances? - apart from Aker who is now injured.

Post Thanks / Like

Just love Bob's obvious passion for the Red White and Blue. Great article.

Post Thanks / Like

Murph's own opening speech on the night was a big highlight. Have heard numerous Charlie speeches over the years but this one was just extra special, one that will live on forever.

KOTC Guest

I reckon he would have written the same article about the night regardless of the Aker kerfuffle. I think some people are reading too much into what was a brilliant article.