Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Greg Inglis to Essendon

James Phelps
    June 05, 2010

EXCLUSIVE: ARGUABLY rugby league's best player yesterday moved a step closer to becoming the latest star to abandon the NRL with Melbourne Storm ace Greg Inglis' manager meeting with AFL powerhouse Essendon.

In another blow for rugby league just days after the code was rocked by Israel Folau's defection to the AFL, Inglis is seriously considering joining the NRL exodus with Essendon making their interest in the Test centre formal.

While Essendon is playing the Swans at the SCG tomorrow, Bombers boss Ian Robson yesterday flew into Sydney a day earlier than his team for a meeting with Inglis' agent Al Gainey at a Sydney cafe.

It is understood Inglis has asked Gainey to explore the option of playing AFL in Melbourne with the 104kg centre unsure of his future with the Storm in the wake of the club's salary cap cheating.

"Inglis has a passion for Melbourne and that is where he wants to stay," said a source close to Inglis.

"He recently moved all his family down to Melbourne and he wants to stay their. He doesn't want to move anywhere else and if the Storm needs to release him from his contract then he would explore other opportunities and certainly Essendon is one of them."

Inglis is contracted with the Storm until the end of 2012 but could become a free agent with the club looking to slash $900,000 from its salary cap next year.

The Storm is understood to be over the cap by $1.2 million and will be forced to shed a star of Inglis' standing.

Robson early in the year denied his club had approached Inglis but said he would make a good AFL player.

"I've got no hesitation in saying he'd be one of several players - Billy Slater would be another - who could make the transition to AFL," Robson said.

Inglis' defection to the AFL would be even more damaging than Karmichael Hunt and Folau's controversial departures with Essendon's bid for Inglis not considered to be a publicity stunt.

Essendon's interest in Inglis stems back to when Kevin Sheedy was still at the club.

Sheedy declared Inglis should be AFL's No. 1 cross-code target.

Earlier in the week Essendon player Mark McVeigh said Inglis was a far more promising AFL prospect than Folau or Hunt.

"I think if you look at Folau and Inglis you probably think Greg is more suited in terms of the way he moves and his skills," McVeigh said.

GOLD Coast coach Guy McKenna yesterday confirmed Hunt would make his VFL debut next Saturday against Coburg at Craigieburn.

The former Brisbane Bronco trained with his new teammates at Wesley College yesterday.

"His body is in good nick and he's looking good," McKenna said. "He's a lot more natural than I think a lot of people (think). They've had to sit back and go 'Hang on, this bloke's a chance of making it'.

"He's doing what he has to do ... he looks as natural as half of our side.

"We're looking forward to next week ... to him getting out and tearing the boys apart."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225875720478

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greg Inglis to Essendon

He wants to stay "their"???
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a massive backfire for the NRL if their attempt to ruin the Storm lost the NRL's best player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    He wants to stay "their"???
    You must be a teacher!

What does everyone think of NRL payers coming to the AFL?

I think it's an interesting idea, worth at least considering. In the case of GC and GWS I can understand splashing the huge dollars because it really is a marketing coup. The risk of Folau and Hunt being duds can someway be offfset by the fact that by merely signing they have generated huge interest in the teams.

I think it's be mad for Essendon or any established team to spend heaps on Inglis or the like. The exisiting teams are already well established and can't really afford the fallout if their boom NRL recruits turn out no good.

And let's not go overboard. The media hype surrounding the signings makes me think of those flexi nose bands and the magnetic bracelets. Someone once said it helps, and they spread like wildfire. Until they didn't.

I'd rather wait and see how the big signings go before we plunder the NRL.

Side point: anyone else think it's the smartest career move Folau and Hunt will ever make? They get massive dollars, and if it doesn't work out they're both still young enough to return to rugby. Genius.
    "It's over. It's all over."

The Boy From Brasil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    I think it's be mad for Essendon or any established team to spend heaps on Inglis or the like. The exisiting teams are already well established and can't really afford the fallout if their boom NRL recruits turn out no good.
    I agree. I think the large dollars for these guys who have never played the game is obscene, but I can understand the motivations for GWS and GC17 or why they did it. But like you say, for an established team to do it, it would be madness. If they are going to come through the system on draftee or rookie salary then no problem. But coming in on huge dollars, whilst the other players have to take a reduced salary due to the salary cap restrictions, isn't great for team building or fairness.

I wonder whether Hunt and Folau will be "encouraged" by the AFL to get games rather than be dropped. I remember that happening with Capper when he joined the bears. You would like to think the teams match committee selection would be independent from the AFL, but who would know with so much money being invested there.

Post Thanks / Like

After spending time with some NRL types, I am very glad the sport is on it's knees and it's stars are deserting it.
    By far the most insular supporters in any sport I have ever witnessed.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. If it turns talented kids from rugby league to Australian footy because their heroes are changing codes, then it is a generational investment as not only will we see kids today change codes, but their kids and grandkids will be converted as well.

Whether it works or not it is good for the AFL. If the guys who change codes become stars, great. Kids are inspired and they also change codes. If they fail, becomes easy to point at the NRL with a bit of derision...International Sport? Great. Your best players can't even get a touch against our boys...yet another selling point to fans - the best play AFL.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    After spending time with some NRL types, I am very glad the sport is on it's knees and it's stars are deserting it.
    By far the most insular supporters in any sport I have ever witnessed.
    If the real AFL goal is to bring NRL to its knees then I'm not sure they are targeting they correct players. NRL heartland is without a doubt New South Wales and grabbing a guy like Hayne would create double the uproar that Hunt, Folau have. If someone like a Haynes was poached we would see panic stations for the NRL.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was coaching under 12's we had a kid swap from rugby league and at the first nights training he asked if it was the end of the running drills, sadly I had to tell him that it was only the warm up.

He lasted one more week and went back to Rugby.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    If the real AFL goal is to bring NRL to its knees then I'm not sure they are targeting they correct players. NRL heartland is without a doubt New South Wales and grabbing a guy like Hayne would create double the uproar that Hunt, Folau have. If someone like a Haynes was poached we would see panic stations for the NRL.
    I have heard they already tried that, but he recommitted to the Eels.

That's why they ended up getting Folau.

Post Thanks / Like

What a waste of time and money IMO(plus he has a faulty character). I can understand a developing market like GC or GWS(mainly marketing), but I think Williams has shown us how long of a journey(and we are not there yet) it is.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    What a waste of time and money IMO(plus he has a faulty character). I can understand a developing market like GC or GWS(mainly marketing), but I think Williams has shown us how long of a journey(and we are not there yet) it is.
    Will get along with Michael Hurley.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

As a canberra fan, I am forced to watch a lot of NRL, and there are probably 4 players who I have watched for a while, thinking, 'it would be really interesting to see them in the AFL'.

- Carmichael Hunt
    - Israel Folau
    - Greg Inglis
    - Jarryd Hayne

3/4 aint bad, and who knows, Hayne could be the next cab off the rank. Moves like Shaun Higgins.

Post Thanks / Like

Is just another way for the wealthy clubs to exploit clubs such as ours with what will ultimately lead to excessive AFL endorsed 3rd party payments made outside the existing TPP.

The Boy From Brasil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Is just another way for the wealthy clubs to exploit clubs such as ours with what will ultimately lead to excessive AFL endorsed 3rd party payments made outside the existing TPP.

It is a really good point you make. That is the thing that frustrates me out of this is that the money paid to the ex NRL players bypasses the salary cap. The new teams are getting enough of an advantage with all their early draft picks. Having new players bypassing the salary cap(only because they come from another code) creates a bad precedent IMO. I heard on the radio where Essendon will ask the AFL if they do recruit Inglis, if they can pay his salary outside the salary cap under the "marketing allowance" that applies to Falou and Hunt. Even the thought of it is crazy. It should be the same rules for every AFL player, and all their payments goes in the same salary cap.

IMO, it is discrimination against players who have been born and bred with AFL, and played the game as juniors. Because they go through the AFL junior system, get drafted and have their first two years salary fixed, and then it is what the market says their talent demands, but within the confines of the salary cap. So their whole career, their salary has some sort of restriction or ceiling put on it. With the ex NRL guys, they get an overinflated salary from day one, only because they played another code. It doesn't make sense to me. The AFL want young children to play AFL rather than other codes, and then they reward people later who choose other codes as juniors. I can understand the players being up in arms.

On the 3rd party payments, I agree with your point. I have to say that I don't have a heap of faith in it. To me, it is crazy that the AFL say "When we bring in free agency, we will have to closely monitor the 3rd party payments". They should be doing it now like they are supposed to, not waiting for free agency to come in.