Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The new Lake district

Mark Stevens From: Herald Sun June 09, 2010 12:00AM

WHEN the Western Bulldogs welcomed a draftee named Brian Harris to the club back in 2001, the players wasted no time inviting him out for a bonding session.
    Such a good time was had by all, disorientation set in by the time the gathering broke up. New to Melbourne, and struggling to remember how to get home, Harris took the easy option of sleeping at the place he knew best - the E. J. Whitten Stand.

For a long time the former South Australian was ribbed about not knowing where home is. At least the key forward prospect soon found a home on-field, re-inventing himself as a full-back.

After a name change to Brian Lake, he became an All-Australian defender.

But after years of being settled, confusion reigns again: where is home?

Lake might just be the best forward in the game not playing there. Coach Rodney Eade has always started Lake at full-back as Plan A, moving him forward in times of crisis this season.

The cameo switches have been such a success, the "Throw Lake Forward" faction is growing by the day.

Until now much of the argument has been based on perception and feel, but detailed statistics reveal the full extent of Lake's impact when planted inside the forward 50.

A Champion Data investigation found Lake has spent only 71 minutes, or a little more than half a game, as a set forward this year.

But in that time the Dogs have kicked a staggering 15 goals and four behinds.

In the same time period, without Lake holding down full-back, the Dogs have only conceded 7.5 - they are almost eight goals better off for rolling the dice.

In the final eight minutes of the Round 7 game against Melbourne, with Lake forward, the Dogs kicked 2.1 to 0.0 and stole a victory.

When Lake was thrown forward against Essendon for the final eight minutes in Round 10, the Dogs booted 3.1 to 0.0.

On Sunday Lake was sent forward 10 minutes into the third term. From there the Dogs kicked 10.2 to 7.5 in 55 minutes of play.

Lake has only kicked three goals in that 71-minute period, but has caused panic among opposition defences by prowling inside 50 near Barry Hall.

When Lake is forward, the Dogs are converting 41.7 per cent of forward entries into goals. On average, teams only convert 25.7 per cent of forward thrusts into goals.

Lake has made a name using his judgment to take clean defensive marks rather than spoil. Up forward Lake is working to the same strengths, only cashing in on the kicks of teammates.

We have seen glimpses before. Who could forget the day Lake wandered forward against Richmond in 2008?

He "clunked" a contested mark, then went to ground clutching his hamstring. The kick went to Will Minson, who levelled the scores with less than a minute left. He also snagged the winning goal in the NAB Cup semi-final against Port Adelaide this year.

The Dogs are coming from a long way back at 6-5, but throwing Lake forward may be their chance to strike for a flag.

The big fella would love to get lost on his way home from celebrations on the last Saturday in September

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225877227370
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The new Lake district

Now, where have I heard that term, 'roll the dice' recently? Any clues Mantis?
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Lake to stay back against twin towers

Jesse Hogan - The Age - 9 June

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade doubts the trump card that almost dragged his side to victory on Sunday, shifting full-back Brian Lake forward, will be available to him this weekend.

Lake's move into attack helped the Bulldogs kick the last six goals against Collingwood, taking them to within 10 points of an unlikely victory.

Eade initially played up his renowned frustration with the occasionally skittish Lake - ''We'd like two of him … [but] I don't know if I could put up personally with having two Brian Lakes'' - but then stressed how advantageous Lake's versatility was to the team.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Why is Eade so reluctant to make us a 2 pronged attack with Hall and Lake?
    Its not as though he cant put him back at fullback if need be.

To me its not too hard, start them both in forward line if we are getting the ball forward we dont need him at fullback but if the ball is spending too much time in our backline send him back.
    Kind of like the reverse of what he is doing now.
    The biggest frustration I am having and a few others probably is Eade doesnt seem to want to even try it.
    If it doesnt work at least he tried it.
    The old saying you never know if you dont have a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Now, where have I heard that term, 'roll the dice' recently? Any clues Mantis?
    lets roll the dice and play Williams on Brown.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So the coach is taking the cautious approach... What a surprise!

Eade said that record was not due to misplaced arrogance or a lack of talent, but more to his players being too cautious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post

Eade said that record was not due to misplaced arrogance or a lack of talent, but more to his players being too cautious.
    Indeed!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think he might be more worried about Fev than Brown. Rocket will never start Brian in the forward line we just hope he moves him forward earlier if need be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsman View Post

No wonder I'm confused

Post Thanks / Like

I remember at the start of the '97 season when Terry Wallace moved Chris Grant from CHB to CHF...

To an extent I believe that was one of the catalysts for our improved performance (also granted in 96 we had huge injury problems)- placing greater emphasis on how we could use our capabilites and key personel to hurt the opposition rather than the reverse

Its time for Williams to be told to sink or swim...give him a go on Brown, and play Lake forward

Although we dont want '10 to turn out like '97

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    I remember at the start of the '97 season when Terry Wallace moved Chris Grant from CHB to CHF...

To an extent I believe that was one of the catalysts for our improved performance (also granted in 96 we had huge injury problems)- placing greater emphasis on how we could use our capabilites and key personel to hurt the opposition rather than the reverse

Its time for Williams to be told to sink or swim...give him a go on Brown, and play Lake forward

Although we dont want '10 to turn out like '97
    Thank goodness Adelaide are playing so poorly **touch wood**.

I agree with rooner17, there's very little chance he will start Lake forward (especially not with Fev and Brown), but I think last week should have encouraged him to send Brian forward a lot earlier in games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Why is Eade so reluctant to make us a 2 pronged attack with Hall and Lake?
    Full forwards win memberships.
    Full backs win premierships.