Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Bulldog Heritage book

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Who's the guy in the top left hand corner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Without certainty it looks like Arthur Olliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Marty McDonnell?

Actually I'm pretty sure that I'm thinking of somebody else that I always get confused with Marty Mcdonell, Johnny Hoiles maybe? Or John Jillard.

I dont think it's Arthur Olliver though.
    I just consulted my copy of the book and it says it is Arthur Olliver.

I got the book sent out straight after the hall of fame night and what I have read so far has been great.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my copy at the Hall Of Fame night....got it signed by a few of the past players as well....haven't started reading it yet, but really looking forward to it......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minson27 View Post
    I got my copy at the Hall Of Fame night....got it signed by a few of the past players as well....haven't started reading it yet, but really looking forward to it......
    Ditto...only i am half way through, great read. All doggies fans should get themselves a copy, it's a great insight to the real history of our great club!! The Bulldogs Forever Foundation have done themselves a treat.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides the well known players displayed on the front cover I really enjoyed reading the stories of such players as Jim Miller, Dan Taylor, George Bell, Graeme Chalmers, Byron Guthrie, Jack Slattery and Barry Thornton, players you wouldn't hear much of.

I believe John Schultz and company intend to follow up this excellent production with follow up volumes with further stories on other players not in this book.

Post Thanks / Like

I love reading about the stories in the VFA days and how a game was abandoned on the siren when the fans ran onto the ground complaining about a mark on the siren. The dogs were 4 points up and North had marked the ball as the siren sounded. The umpires decided they couldn't control the situation so ran off and the game was replayed the following week. Mind you it was a semi final. The following week with minutes to go, Footscray were down by 2 points when a goal was dribbled through an unguarded goal and then siren went.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys just to let you know Vol 2 has just been released picked mine up from the shop today and it looks like a beauty plenty of players from the 90's in it including Nathan Brown cant wait to read it.

8. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic, I was wondering when the second volume would be released,

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    Hey Guys just to let you know Vol 2 has just been released picked mine up from the shop today and it looks like a beauty plenty of players from the 90's in it including Nathan Brown cant wait to read it.
    Nathan ( Judas ) Who ?
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Fantastic, I was wondering when the second volume would be released,
    These two volumes are a marvelous historical record spearheaded by John Schultz and his late wife Elaine together with life member Kevin Meddings and his wife Yvonne plus book editor and passionate Bulldogs member Scharlaine Cairns. This is a fine achievement by a small group of Bulldogs fanatics, who have put in countless hours of unpaid work in producing two outstanding books, being must reads for all members. Praise should also be given to Club Executive, Rachael Murphy for her coordination. This initiative is a first of all AFL clubs. A great effort by all concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Nathan ( Judas ) Who ?
    LOL. As much as we harp on the Judas thing there's no getting around the fact that he was a great player for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh goody. Picked up Vol 1 at a discount price at the recent Bulldogs mega-sale-thingy and it's a wonderful way to catch up with all the Bulldog history I need to know (nearly ready for my exam questions…) Looking forward to Volume 2!

The Cowshed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    Nathan Brown makes the surprising admission in the book that it was probably a mistake in leaving the Bulldogs for Richmond.

Post Thanks / Like

Worth buying it just for that, surely?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowshed View Post
    Nathan Brown makes the surprising admission in the book that it was probably a mistake in leaving the Bulldogs for Richmond.

He appears to have got over it though.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

When is the second book available?