Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating the second-year dogs

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/se...8/default.aspx

DEVELOPMENT manager Chris Maple looks at the Bulldogs' young guns and provides an update on their progress. This week, he looks at the club's three second-year players, taken in the 2008 NAB AFL Draft.

AYCE CORDY - selection No.14 overall
    He had his shoulder reconstructed six weeks ago and his rehab is coming along well. He is meeting with the surgeon this week. It is the shoulder he has previously had reconstructed and we'll just see how it pulls up.

He had done a lot of strength work this year and he's 16 kilos heavier than he was when he arrived at the club. He had been going really well and his pre-season form was excellent. We were really happy with his progress. He lives with Jordan Roughead, they're around the same height and they play a bit of the same position, and I'd say Ayce was tracking as well as Jordan when he hurt his shoulder.

It's really unfortunate he's had to go through this again. After we get it sorted out, we're confident it won't happen again. That's why we're not planning on Ayce playing for the rest of this year. We want him ready to attack his next pre-season and have a really good 2011. We're quietly confident he's going to have a really good year.

He's a strong individual and he's going to increase the number of subjects he does at university next semester to take his mind of things. We're also hoping he'll get away for a while and then get back to start his strengthening program.

JORDAN ROUGHEAD - selection No.31 overall
    He's made his AFL debut this year and has been great. We saw in both those games he has competed quite adequately. He didn't look out of place at all and we were really stoked with his performances. He's been playing really good footy at VFL level, was named in the best players two weeks ago, and took on a really good ruckman this week and was good again.

Jordan will hopefully play some more senior games this year. Obviously, Ben Hudson and Will Minson are going really well but if either of those guys need a rest, Jordan will be able to step up and play that role.

LIAM JONES - selection No.32 overall
    Liam had a really good pre-season where he performed well in an intra-club practice match and got an opportunity in the NAB Cup. Since then, he's played senior footy at Williamstown every week and I think he's equal third on their goalkicking.

He's playing centre half-forward, a really good effort from a boy who's just finished school. He's got really good speed and strong hands, he's been taking strong marks and we're really impressed with that. He's worked really hard on his fitness and has a good base, and with another pre-season under his belt, we're looking forward to having a big key forward in our ranks.

This year you'd never say never to an AFL debut but with Barry Hall in the side, it's about spots opening up. With a strong senior side, it's about being patient and developing well in the VFL, and when the opportunity presents, being able to step in.

If a spot came up, he may well get an opportunity. If not, we're looking forward to his third year at the club being a good one in 2011.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/se...8/default.aspx
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating the second-year dogs

Personally I think in a couple of years we'll look back on 2008 as our super draft. These 3 could form the core of a gun team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Personally I think in a couple of years we'll look back on 2008 as our super draft. These 3 could form the core of a gun team.
    I'm more confident of 2008 than I am of 2009.

I think 2010 will prove to be a success as well
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Along with Grant you would think that we can comfortably build our forward-line around this group for 2011 and beyond. It would be great if we could play Jones & Grant in the same team as Hall next year... Hall could take a bit of presure off with match-ups and expectations to allow them to just contribute, but Hall could also benefit with the fact that these 2 (and others) may take some of the heat off him.

The sensible route is being taken with Ayce as he was always going to be a long term prospect.. Look forward to seeing him in action in 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The sensible route is being taken with Ayce as he was always going to be a long term prospect.. Look forward to seeing him in action in 2011.
    And with an injury free preseason , he should be around the 95 - 97kg mark.
    Last edited by Desipura; 18-06-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Along with Grant you would think that we can comfortably build our forward-line around this group for 2011 and beyond. It would be great if we could play Jones & Grant in the same team as Hall next year... Hall could take a bit of presure off with match-ups and expectations to allow them to just contribute, but Hall could also benefit with the fact that these 2 (and others) may take some of the heat off him.

I think they can all play together, Jones while athletic and quick is your genuine pack marking power forward, He and Hall could prove a really good duo, while grant (at this stage anyway) is a quick lead up type who due to his pace and defensive pressure won't make our forward line too tall and immobile.

I'm not one for talking up young players just because they are young, but in Jones and Roughead I honestly think they can become stars at AFL level, I'm not convinced about Cordy yet but people I speak to who are better judges than me are all really excited about him too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm more confident of 2008 than I am of 2009.

I think 2010 will prove to be a success as well
    I have to agree with you Mofra, I like the look of Tutt in the limited time I've seen of him, he's genuinely quick and has a surprisingly powerful kick for a small guy. Howard I haven't seen at all but I know a couple of senior players and they said before he had his operation they were really impressed with him. Markovic I found a strange selection, gun VFL player but like Skipper doesn't have the attributes to match his desire. And Thorne, well I don't think he'll be around long.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with you Mofra, I like the look of Tutt in the limited time I've seen of him, he's genuinely quick and has a surprisingly powerful kick for a small guy. Howard I haven't seen at all but I know a couple of senior players and they said before he had his operation they were really impressed with him. Markovic I found a strange selection, gun VFL player but like Skipper doesn't have the attributes to match his desire. And Thorne, well I don't think he'll be around long.
    By 2010, I was referring to a kid called Liberace or something and some other kid called Mitchell with a funny hairdo
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Thorne's got to offer and was extremely disappointed when he was injured so early. Have read and heard some great things about him and it's an excellent start in my view to hear how emotional he was on the news he got drafted it obviously meant alot to him and his family. As well we are really lacking a small forward with some x factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what Thorne's got to offer and was extremely disappointed when he was injured so early. Have read and heard some great things about him and it's an excellent start in my view to hear how emotional he was on the news he got drafted it obviously meant alot to him and his family. As well we are really lacking a small forward with some x factor.
    Have heard quite the opposite to be honest.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Have heard quite the opposite to be honest.
    I believe he had a bit of a reputation of playing up outside of footy but had changed his attitude when he went to the thunder. I'm hoping the move down to Melbourne and the change of environment can bring the best out of him. But in saying that you probably know more im just hopeful.