Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

5 reasons why AFL is better than Soccer.

Ok. Am OVER the world cup.

AFL is better because

1. Lower ponytail count. ( no offense to all you hipsters )
    2. No plastic brass sections.
    3. The act of rolling around on the grass, clutching your shin does not gain one an advantage. As a result, fans do not have to suffer this.
    4. Lower hissy fit count, especially since M. Lloyd retired.
    5. I keep falling asleep waiting for a goal zzzzzzzzzzzz.

So do tell. Why do you love our native game better than foosball ?
    Oh and I just watched the Hawks V Ess game tonight. Absolute corker. Deepened my conviction still!

OR! Maybe you like soccer better than our native game? Enjoying the world cup? Will foosball rise to gobble up our native species?
    Will Gary Ablett one day be lured to switch codes and play for Melbourne Victory on a multimillion dollar contract?

Blog away!
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 19-06-2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: can't count

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5 reasons why AFL is better than Soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Akers_beard75 View Post

AFL is better because

3. The act of rolling around on the grass, clutching your shin does not gain one an advantage. As a result, fans do not have to suffer this.

Oh and I just watched the Hawks V Ess game tonight. Absolute corker. Deepened my conviction still!

OR! Maybe you like soccer better than our native game? Enjoying the world cup? Will foosball rise to gobble up our native species?
    Will Gary Ablett one day be lured to switch codes and play for Melbourne Victory on a multimillion dollar contract?

Blog away!
    Very ignorant post. You obviously dont understand the round ball game or appreciate the amount of skill they have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Very ignorant post. You obviously dont understand the round ball game or appreciate the amount of skill they have.
    Whilst I watched the Hawks v Essendon game last night (which was a pretty exciting contest, with great marks, some great goals, speed...it had it all) and in the room next door my housemates were watching Germany v Serbia. I heard them get excited 3 or maybe 4 times during the entire game.

I'm with you, I don't mind soccer and realise the skill level involved, but AFL is, IMO, the most exciting, and elite sport in the world. It combines so many skill sets, and guys who are very strong, great endurance and quick too. There aren't many sports like it.

Post Thanks / Like

There is only one reason why AFL is better than Soccer, Soccer is boring.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to love soccer, I would stay up late and watch the English league games back in the 70's but since the 2000 Summer Olympics I can't be bothered getting the slightest bit interested. The amount of diving and playing for frees in that event just totally put me off.

I love our great game and it is just my opinion but is the best ball sport out there.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akers_beard75 View Post

AFL is better because

Blog away!
    I agree. Over it - before it even began. Almost two hours of people not scoring/rarely scoring, I don't find exciting or interesting in the slightest. Not going to say too much, I've got into heated debates on this very topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Maybe I'm ignorant or lack understanding too then, because I agree with the post 100%
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I have only really enjoyed one game of soccer in my life - and that was almost entirely due to the crowd factor (in Santiago Chile, watching Chile qualify for the world cup for the first time in donkeys years). In fairness, the score was 4-1 (and Columbia scored first!)so there was a bit of excitement. Nil all draws? No thanks.

I can actually watch South American soccer because for mine the style is the pinnacle of flair and daring play, but I don't get too excited otherwise and I have tried.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

The Boy From Brasil Guest

I guess it comes down to personal taste and/or what you were brought up with.

IMO AFL is a better game. AFL is the best game in the world for me above all other sports. The mixture of skill, speed, physicality,courage, scoring there is no other game like it. And then you have the special flair of the indigenous players(which only AFL has), it is unique.

Having said all that, I really like soccer as well. The soccer played in Brasil is extremely attacking and has its own flair. When you play an attacking style it is extremely watchable. The World Cup is great to watch because there is so much at stake for the countries around the world, and it only comes around once every four years. There wouldn't be the same fever if it was every month or every year.

One factor which no one has mentioned is a huge advantage that AFL has, is the crowds. The crowds for an AFL match are passionate but by and large safe. Which is a great thing. Some of the soccer crowds in countries around the world take it beyond a sport. Football hooliganism in some parts of England is really really ugly. And some of the extremes about the result of a match in Brasil are not very normal either. In the AFL, you can go to a match with an opposition supporter, enjoy the game and leave without fearing for your physical safety(although sometimes at AAMI you may fear for your vehicles safety).

Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean you won't be watching tonight then Akers Beard?

It's like saying which is better, AC/DC or like, Bob Dylan or something!
    Two completely different things that are both awesome depending on the situation,
    the mood i'm in, etc etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Boy From Brasil View Post
    One factor which no one has mentioned is a huge advantage that AFL has, is the crowds. The crowds for an AFL match are passionate but by and large safe. Which is a great thing. Some of the soccer crowds in countries around the world take it beyond a sport. Football hooliganism in some parts of England is really really ugly. And some of the extremes about the result of a match in Brasil are not very normal either. In the AFL, you can go to a match with an opposition supporter, enjoy the game and leave without fearing for your physical safety(although sometimes at AAMI you may fear for your vehicles safety).
    I am currently in Greece. We were last night discussing AFL and my host here was astonished that I would take my 6yo son to a football game.

Post Thanks / Like

For the love of god can the soccer v Aussie rules arguement please go away!!It's just tiresome and just utterings from insecure and paranoid people. I love our game but some people who just continually compare the sports gives me the utter shits. Why don't you just enjoy a sport for it's differences.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the one advantage soccer has is that it's a relatively simple game (apart from the 25 minutes I spent explaining the off side rule to my wife at 4.30 the other morning). There's only so much tinkering with the rules you can do.
    Unlike AFL where the administration can **** with the rules until it's almost a joke.

I'm not going to take sides. Denigrating one or the other is pointless. Obviously everyone on this forum likes AFL, or one team at least.
    A bad game of football, not matter what kind, is a bad game of football.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I'm not going to take sides. Denigrating one or the other is pointless. Obviously everyone on this forum likes AFL, or one team at least.
    A bad game of football, not matter what kind, is a bad game of football.
    Me neither, IMO it depends on who is playing. Both games can be exciting.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly this thread is just so big footy!!I'm not a fan of Motor sport maybe I should compare Aussie Rules to Motor Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

AFL is better because

Blog away!
    Maybe re think the #3 item?
    Since all these rule changes have come into the AFL (bump ruled out etc) the amout of 'dives' happening in the AFL is alarming. I flicked over to watch a bit of StK v Gee the other day and saw 3 dives result in 3 goals in about 5 mins. The league is becoming a joke the way they are putting a leash on everything. I'd give it about three years until diving is a tactic in the AFL.