Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason Akermanis flying solo

Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - June 22

JASON Akermanis is a lone figure on the track this week as the rest of his Western Bulldogs teammates enjoy a holiday.

The Dogs have given all players a leave pass from training until Friday, but the controversial veteran is stepping up his rehabilitation program.

"Aker will train through. He's there for the whole week," Bulldogs football manager James Fantasia said yesterday.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason Akermanis flying solo

More of the same from The Australian.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225882477169

Post Thanks / Like

Was interesting to hear Gia interviewed on SEN after the game on Sunday night.

Whilst Gia didn't say anything controversial or negative in particular - he did make mention that Aker hadn't been around much - and that it would be hard to get back in the side with Grant, Wood etc performing.

None of that wasn't factual, but what he chose to focus on - well, you could read a little into that.

Post Thanks / Like

I can think of 2 players that they can make way for Aker in Hill and Stack.

Will be interesting to see if he opens his mouth up tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I can think of 2 players that they can make way for Aker in Hill and Stack.
    Most think that Ward & Higgins will take these guys spots in the team... Who else would be vulnerable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Most think that Ward & Higgins will take these guys spots in the team... Who else would be vulnerable?
    I would have Akermanis in the team over Eagleton every day of the week (and twice on the Sabbath) ... simply, Aka offers more options to the team than Eagleton.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I would have Akermanis in the team over Eagleton every day of the week (and twice on the Sabbath) ... simply, Aka offers more options to the team than Eagleton.
    I disagree, IMO Eagleton offers more to the side than Aker(which isn't saying much) and both players will struggle to be in our best 22 if everybody is up and firing(but there is a fair chance a few will be injured but).

With Ward, Higgins and Williams to come back in, the players most under the pump will be Stack, Hill, Grant and Wood. Hopefully Grant stays in but with the MC's reluctance to drop senior players he needs to keep demanding a spot.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I disagree, IMO Eagleton offers more to the side than Aker(which isn't saying much) and both players will struggle to be in our best 22 if everybody is up and firing(but there is a fair chance a few will be injured but).
    While not the player he was Aker is a norm smith medalist while Eagle has a reputation for underperforming against the best teams. Therefore I'd have Aker in our best 22 come finals time ahead of Eagle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    While not the player he was Aker is a norm smith medalist while Eagle has a reputation for underperforming against the best teams. Therefore I'd have Aker in our best 22 come finals time ahead of Eagle
    Absolutely correct. You can't talk about the two in the same breath

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Absolutely correct. You can't talk about the two in the same breath
    Why not?

Aker is not the player he used to be. If they were both in their peak, fair enough.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we just take Aker at his word - he was not playing well due to the fact he was carrying an injury. If he returns to anywhere close to the form he displayed last year, he is easily in our best 22 - and closer to our best 10.

I know he says some stupid things, but he can play...we were all pretty ready to give Johnno a free-pass for his early season form based on injury - which is all fair enough - but based on his career surely Aker is worthy of the same level of respect?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Can we just take Aker at his word - he was not playing well due to the fact he was carrying an injury. If he returns to anywhere close to the form he displayed last year, he is easily in our best 22 - and closer to our best 10.

I know he says some stupid things, but he can play...we were all pretty ready to give Johnno a free-pass for his early season form based on injury - which is all fair enough - but based on his career surely Aker is worthy of the same level of respect?
    My question is if he was injured why was he playing?

MJP, being in football circles at a higher level than most do you think the match commitee would've pressured Akermanis to play injured?
    I tend to recall after the 2008 season he mentioned playing injured also and that's why his early form was poor.

I know players play injured but surely if Aker said I need a rest the match commitee would've listened?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Why not?

Aker is not the player he used to be. If they were both in their peak, fair enough.
    Aker might not be the player he used to be, he is still worth more in our 22 than Eagleton. Aker reads the play better, is quicker, is more skillful, and more versitile with the positions he can hold down.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    I know players play injured but surely if Aker said I need a rest the match commitee would've listened?
    Players want to play. The coaches want their best players to play. What is the difference between a niggle and an injury? What is the difference between being able to get through it well and being limited to the point where it is a significant reduction in effectiveness. Why isnt there a way to accurately simulate match day loads on the training track?

Aker probably said he would be OK and the coaches heard what they wanted too.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Aker might not be the player he used to be, he is still worth more in our 22 than Eagleton. Aker reads the play better, is quicker, is more skillful, and more versitile with the positions he can hold down.
    That's still yet to be seen. Who's spot is he going to take with Ward, Higgins and Williams also to come in before him?
    The curse is dead.