Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason Akermanis flying solo

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I disagree, IMO Eagleton offers more to the side than Aker(which isn't saying much)
    Notice my Avatar here, I'm an Aker Fan, but not as much as you might think. I would rather have Callan Ward in or Williams frankly. Eagleton or Aker? hmmm tough question, but I am not sure about the above comment! Aker was our leading goal kicker last year. Isn't saying much? hardly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Can we just take Aker at his word - he was not playing well due to the fact he was carrying an injury. If he returns to anywhere close to the form he displayed last year, he is easily in our best 22 - and closer to our best 10.

I know he says some stupid things, but he can play...we were all pretty ready to give Johnno a free-pass for his early season form based on injury - which is all fair enough - but based on his career surely Aker is worthy of the same level of respect?
    I agree totally with this. Aker has a pretty bad media brain, but his football brain is pretty solid. He is in our top 10 players on the top of his game at least. Still, it is funny how much Bulldogs fans resent him. I met a lovely old member on the train the other day and he was so anti-Aker.
    I think about the failure of Fevola at Brisbane. Off field stuff really can complicate things and I wish Jason would just play the game. But then, it wouldn't be Aker would it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akers_beard75 View Post
    Notice my Avatar here, I'm an Aker Fan, but not as much as you might think. I would rather have Callan Ward in or Williams frankly. Eagleton or Aker? hmmm tough question, but I am not sure about the above comment! Aker was our leading goal kicker last year. Isn't saying much? hardly!
    He's not the same player anymore IMO.

But I'll be happy to be proven wrong
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we just take Aker at his word - he was not playing well due to the fact he was carrying an injury. If he returns to anywhere close to the form he displayed last year, he is easily in our best 22 - and closer to our best 10.

I know he says some stupid things, but he can play...we were all pretty ready to give Johnno a free-pass for his early season form based on injury - which is all fair enough - but based on his career surely Aker is worthy of the same level of respect?
    Players want to play. The coaches want their best players to play. What is the difference between a niggle and an injury? What is the difference between being able to get through it well and being limited to the point where it is a significant reduction in effectiveness. Why isnt there a way to accurately simulate match day loads on the training track?

Aker probably said he would be OK and the coaches heard what they wanted too.
    Some great posting there mjp.

Either way we are stuck with him to the end of the year and I am not a huge fan of cutting your nose to spite your face.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think he will get his chance to prove himself. Look at the quality players we have coming in. There were a couple of times this season where he got burned off so bad by younger players. It's the pace that is missing. He would be ideal in a forward pocket but he will never get a slot now, and maybe lost the respect of the playing group? Does anyone close to the club have a view on this?

Still, if anyone needs a refresher on how good he played last year go to youtube and see some highlights.
    A great player. Still is IMO

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I think a fit Aker in our side is more preferable to the Eagle. I think he still has a lot to offer our club, and it is unfortunate that his off field antics seem to cloud people's judgement about him. He still is a great player (one I hated when he was with BrisVegas, but love him now!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    There were a couple of times this season where he got burned off so bad by younger players. It's the pace that is missing.
    Hopefully this comes back when his hamstring injury heals
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Where's Moles, and Roughie.
    Who needs interchange when The Beard, Will & Roughy could swap between Ruck Forward & Back???????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    My question is if he was injured why was he playing?

MJP, being in football circles at a higher level than most do you think the match commitee would've pressured Akermanis to play injured?
    I tend to recall after the 2008 season he mentioned playing injured also and that's why his early form was poor.

I know players play injured but surely if Aker said I need a rest the match commitee would've listened?
    Moles got cut by Geelong because they considered him soft because he always pulled out of the side whenever he had a niggle.

All players play with injuries at some stage. The judgement call is knowing when it is bad enough to say, "I'm out".

Post Thanks / Like

In Aker's time at the club he has always been willing to put forward an excuse for any performance issues he has, I have no doubt he believes these excuses whether they're correct or not.

These are a few that I can think of off the top of my head to name a few.
    • Too heavy
    • Too light
    • Trained too hard
    • Played injured
    • Played in wrong position
    • Played sick

Post Thanks / Like

I was just having a look at the history of the WOOF best players award, and thought it was worth noting in this thread that we voted Akermanis as our second best player in both 2008 and 2009.

I certainly think, at his best, there is a role for him in our current side. I think he'll play his best football inside the F50 where we can get real value for every touch. He's lost a few yards, and his fitness must be an on-going concern, and thus, not being a part of the midfield rotations should allow him to see out the season in good condition.

We know he's good on the lead, and at the feet of a taller player. His vision, decision making and ball use are all fantastic, arguably still the best at the club. He can also work solidly on the defensive aspects of the game.

He's got a bit to prove, but he could still be the key piece of the puzzle in September. No doubt, after a couple of perhaps disappointing finals series for him, he'll be very keen to atone and end on a big note.