Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason Akermanis back from the outer

Aker's article this week...

Jason Akermanis back from the outer
    Jason Akermanis | Herald Sun | June 23, 2010

MY life in football has been no different to a normal marriage with a lot of good times, some challenging ones and the inevitable compromise.

Over almost 16 years I have made many investments in the two teams I have played for and have received a lot of support.

I want to win at any cost and when I do something I want to be the best.

Whether it is a footy game, a newspaper column, a radio co-host or on TV, I want it to be worthwhile, fun and engaging.

Sometimes I make mistakes and sometimes people take things way too seriously, but that is football life in 2010.

The last time my football marriage broke up was 2006 when I parted company with the Brisbane Lions. It was hard to take. After 12 years and 248 games the best decision was made by all to have a divorce.

It was public and like most arguments the fans took one side or another. I had my supporters and so did the coach in Leigh Matthews.

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason Akermanis back from the outer

A pretty honest and insightful article by Aker and I seriously hope that he is able to win back the trust of his teamates - for what it's worth - he has mine!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    A pretty honest and insightful article by Aker and I seriously hope that he is able to win back the trust of his teamates - for what it's worth - he has mine!
    I cant tell when he is being honest anymore......

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped reading it after the 15th 'I'.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Would also like for Jason to see some value in winning back the trust of the Club's supporters. Have been a long time fan and backer of Jason but he's losing my support fast. His recent article makes reference to me, myself, & I ~ 45 times. He makes reference to 'Team' but too many roads seem to lead to his own self importance / indulgence.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally Agree - way too many I's me etc. Lets see what the future holds for him

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Aker has spoken to the playing group (or even just the leadership group) since the 'fallout' a few weeks back. Gia hinted that he hadn't seen much of him recently after Sunday's game so I would have hoped that he had addressed some of the issues he raised in this piece before putting it to print.

If he hasn't... meh.

Post Thanks / Like

The shrinking violet that is Aker was in over-drive on MTR this morning.

Aker: I'm in the top five

Click the title above for the entire article, but I did like this piece:

'"I'm in their best ten," Akermanis said.

"I'm in their best eight. I'm in their best five, when you're up and playing, and playing well."

"That is a non-issue. For me, I do the penalty. Hopefully, with any luck, be able to come back and help the side. That is the bottom line."

-----

Aker is on drugs if he thinks he honestly believes this. Cooney, Griffen, Lake, Boyd & Hall would be in our top 5 on this years performances, up to atleast another 10 would be mentioned before you get to Aker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The shrinking violet that is Aker was in over-drive on MTR this morning.

Aker: I'm in the top five

Click the title above for the entire article, but I did like this piece:

'"I'm in their best ten," Akermanis said.

"I'm in their best eight. I'm in their best five, when you're up and playing, and playing well."

"That is a non-issue. For me, I do the penalty. Hopefully, with any luck, be able to come back and help the side. That is the bottom line."

-----

Aker is on drugs if he thinks he honestly believes this. Cooney, Griffen, Lake, Boyd & Hall would be in our top 5 on this years performances, up to atleast another 10 would be mentioned before you get to Aker.
    Gotta love his confidence, even though that is an extraudinary statement for Aker to make, if he was top 5, there would be no issues what so ever in going around again next season, just like Barry Hall will be doing at the age of 34, but he won't be, because he is just about cooked, and UNFORTUNATLY he has showed that with form over the past year & a half.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to know why he used the term 'their' rather than 'our' when referring to his ranking within the team.
    Last edited by Mantis; 23-06-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Aker has spoken to the playing group (or even just the leadership group) since the 'fallout' a few weeks back. Gia hinted that he hadn't seen much of him recently after Sunday's game so I would have hoped that he had addressed some of the issues he raised in this piece before putting it to print.

If he hasn't... meh.
    Aker's fall from grace has been very swift. Maybe the Club erred in having him play on beyond 2009. If his physical wellbeing and mindset was right then you would want him playing finals football given his outstanding record. On the other hand if his attitude around his teammates is poor then you would want to think twice about the rest of the season. His form last year was excellent but it is fair to say be it injuries or whatever he has struggled to reproduce at his normal standard on the field this season.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to know why he used the term 'their' rather than 'our' when referring to this ranking within the team.
    Says a lot doesn't it. He is outside the group looking in, not part of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    His form last year was excellent but it is fair to say be it injuries or whatever he has struggled to reproduce at his normal standard on the field this season.
    IIRC he was pretty spent by the end of last year though. Didn't have much impact in the finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Marking him on his verbal display on Team ethos, after 3 weeks in the wilderness he sounds at least that and more away from a return to the 22. Who knows, his papers may well have been marked anyway, to be used as an example to others of what happens when you elect to go it alone. Have we seen Aker play his final game with the rest left to media street ?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Aker will fit in nicely at Williamstown. After all, with the way they are travelling he may well add a VFL premiership to his trophy cabinet.