Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Baker faces 14-match ban; Stevie Johnson four

Gee have to say Ross Lyon has handled this well ,that press conference he had yesterday was first class. Saw the tape and basically lambasted Baker,no spin no B/S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I don't agree with the extra match for hitting Johnson's hand, there was no way Baker could have known it was broken and if he's out there he is assumed to be fit (I was more concerned with Fisher pushing Bartel as he was coming off in obvious pain).

Could not agree more.
    He took the field and if you are deemed fit enough to play, you suffer the consequences.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'm surprised by the reactions...all this suspension does is highlight the inconsistency of the MRP.

First person to ever be suspended for unnecessary and unreasonable contact to an injured player, which is the charge I disagree with most. Johnson was making no effort to leave the ground, and is therefore fair game. If he's got an injury, he shouldn't be playing. How could Baker get weeks for that, whilst Fisher didn't get cited for hitting Bartel as he left the ground. I know they looked at it, but their explanation (surprisingly :P ) doesn't make sense.
    I noticed Reiwoldt having a bash at another players strapped wrist in the most recent Carlton clash. So, I'm a bit confused at the ruling. Can you hit another player in the leg or arm if it's strapped or not?

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I agree. I was surprised at the lack of spin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    yeah I agree. I was surprised at the lack of spin.
    Are you talking about a something in this thread or a Shane Warne delivery?

(In future can you quote the post you are referencing so we know what you are on about)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gee have to say Ross Lyon has handled this well ,that press conference he had yesterday was first class. Saw the tape and basically lambasted Baker,no spin no B/S.
    Fair enough. How can he not take some responsibility for all this though - he has basically advocated the behavior and tactics of Baker and Jones for several seasons now...the way things were going the line was going to be crossed (though I still maintain 9 weeks is a completely excessive penalty). Now it is all Baker's fault?

What about 'He is playing footy the way I ask him too - restrict opposition forwards in any way possible. I guess this time he has crossed the line but I suppose I am accountable for this in some way by allowing these "outside the rules" tactics for a few years. I am also disappointed in Jones continued holding of his opponent at stoppages - I will be addressing that during the week.'
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Mjp I dont agree with 9 weeks being too much, what was it ? four different incidents? three of them hits on the jaw?
    None of them during play.
    9 weeks seems okay to me.
    3 weeks for slapping a bloke on the hand a bit rough but hey he also condemned himself with lying to the tribunal, pleading not guilty when camera pics clearly showed he was, making him plea guilty, thats just shows how sly and sneaky this guy is even when caught in the act.

I think the tribunal should give extra weeks when a player pleads not guilty and it is there for all to see he is guilty, just for the fact he out and out lied!

I agree coaches should take some blame if its more than a one off thing though, the player has a history of it and obviously the coach has agreed with it, just refused to fix it, or even coached it into him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Fair enough. How can he not take some responsibility for all this though - he has basically advocated the behavior and tactics of Baker and Jones for several seasons now...the way things were going the line was going to be crossed (though I still maintain 9 weeks is a completely excessive penalty). Now it is all Baker's fault?

What about 'He is playing footy the way I ask him too - restrict opposition forwards in any way possible. I guess this time he has crossed the line but I suppose I am accountable for this in some way by allowing these "outside the rules" tactics for a few years. I am also disappointed in Jones continued holding of his opponent at stoppages - I will be addressing that during the week.'
    Yeah the most arrogant coach in the AFL will definitely say that. Oh look, is that Grant Thomas flying?
    "It's over. It's all over."