Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Osteitis pubis no longer a concern for Ward

WESTERN Bulldogs young gun Callan Ward will put half a season of frustration behind him on Friday night when he makes his long-awaited return from a troublesome groin complaint.

The 20-year-old is eagerly anticipating his return to the field after spending three weeks in the VFL recapturing the form and fitness that made him a 2009 NAB AFL Rising Star nominee.

"It was frustrating to be out for so long and not play and train with the boys," he told afl.com.au this week.

"I just made sure I kept myself busy."

Unprecedented groin soreness during the Bulldogs' NAB Cup Grand Final victory soon turned ugly for Ward when it was revealed he had developed a mild case of osteitis pubis.

Having watched his teammate, fellow 2007 draftee Sam Reid, undergo surgery on his groin after last season, Ward was filled with fear when told of his developing condition.

"It was definitely scary," he recalled. "I didn't want to go down the same path as Sam so I did everything possible rehab-wise for my groin.

"Now at training I don't even feel it. I was told I'd feel it all year and in the last two or three weeks, I haven't felt it at all."

A combination of pilates, core exercises, swimming, biking and boxing kept Ward fit - and busy - during his time away from the game.

He admits he has come away from the experience with a much greater appreciation for pilates after initially dismissing it as unnecessary.

"Before I got drafted, I used to think pilates was useless and didn't really do anything. You just sat there and listened to the instructor," he said.

"Really, it's actually the hardest thing I've ever had to do, switching on all the muscles.

"There's a lot involved in pilates so it's been a good challenge for me and has kept me busy."

Unable to run at all for six weeks, Ward was restricted to static training and pool activities.

A hectic rehabilitation program gave him focus when it came to football, while the commencement of a small business management course at the Kangan Institute in Essendon gave him respite away from it.

Now, as he looks towards his first game for the season, he believes the extra strength training has increased his ability to break tackles with his hips and hopes continuing the practice will eventually add length to his kicks.

He also believes while he might require the occasional break from training, he should be available for each one of the Dogs' remaining nine home-and-away matches plus finals.

"If' I keep doing all those core strengthening exercises, I hope I can stay pain free for the rest of the season."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...1/default.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Osteitis pubis no longer a concern for Ward

Damn this guy is important to the team, I hope he can get through the season and play every game.

Post Thanks / Like

This will eliminate any doubt about whether he had OP or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    What will? The newspaper article? Right.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

So young too. Just a kid. rubbing my hands in anticipation at his return.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What will? The newspaper article? Right.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears to be very important for you to be regarded as right on if Ward had OP or not but the "roll eyes" doesn't add a lot to the argument. Does it really matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    It appears to be very important for you to be regarded as right on if Ward had OP or not but the "roll eyes" doesn't add a lot to the argument. Does it really matter?
    A few posters on here believe that their sources are always right or are more reliable than others.
    When some other posters have sources, they shoot them down with the attitude "I would know, and you are wrong type thing".
    I want it to be known that those same people are not always right as they like to believe. Their ego's might get the better of them at times
    Does it matter? Well I think it should be known.

Post Thanks / Like

A few posters on here believe that their sources are always right or are more reliable than others.
    When some other posters have sources, they shoot them down with the attitude "I would know, and you are wrong type thing".
    I want it to be known that those same people are not always right as they like to believe. Their ego's might get the better of them at times
    Does it matter? Well I think it should be known.
    Talk about pot, kettle & black.

Time to get off the high horse there Desi!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Talk about pot, kettle & black.

Time to get off the high horse there Desi!
    Perhaps you need to go back on all the pms you have received with people not being happy with how you have treated them.
    For memory I have received one, yours are in the double tally mark.
    Coincedentally, they all have a similar theme.
    And sadly you kept all these pm's, I would have thought you would have learnt something from those people who had an issue with you or what you had to say about them.
    Its disappointing as you do contrinbute valuably to this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

If this is all about me I have never once questioned Ward's injury. My only point Desi is that a newspaper article saying he had OP really doesn't prove much of anything and that people will believe what they want to believe.

That was it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If this is all about me I have never once questioned Ward's injury. My only point Desi is that a newspaper article saying he had OP really doesn't prove much of anything and that people will believe what they want to believe.

That was it.
    No, it is about me.

Desi just needed to flex his ego and you got caught up in it.

Post Thanks / Like

OP or not, i'm just glad to have the kid back in the side, that added toughness in the midfield will be very much needed come September.

...and let's hope those GROIN ISSUES were a thing of the past.

Post Thanks / Like

I want it to be known that those same people are not always right as they like to believe. Their ego's might get the better of them at timesDoes it matter? Well I think it should be known.
    So you decided this thread was the one to have a showdown and drag the balance of the forum along for the ride. Thanks for sharing
    I think this should have been sorted out with a few private messages or here's a thought just let it go through to the keeper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    OP or not, i'm just glad to have the kid back in the side, that added toughness in the midfield will be very much needed come September.

...and let's hope those GROIN ISSUES were a thing of the past.
    He's a beauty and I echo the sentiments