Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Aker

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Rusty Aker

2 articles:

Matt Windley - Herald Sun

BY HIS own admission he was rusty, but the smile on Jason Akermanis's face after his VFL return yesterday suggested he was happy just to be back playing footy.

Wearing No. 75, Akermanis was no more than a bit-part player in Williamstown's 58-point win over Sandringham at Trevor Barker Oval.

Heavily tagged, the Brownlow medallist managed just five kicks, nine handballs and four marks in his first game in a month after a hamstring injury.

Link

Brett Diamond - The Age

WESTERN BULLDOGS veteran Jason Akermanis says he is confident of returning to form as he eyes a round-16 return for the Bulldogs after a two-week stint at Williamstown in the VFL.

The controversial Akermanis got through the first of two compulsory matches in the Seagulls' 62-point win over Sandringham yesterday - while serving a club ban over a newspaper column.

Akermanis showed only glimpses of his usual pace and robotic touch - albeit being shut down by Alistair Smith - in a match in which he described himself as being "rusty after five weeks off".

Link
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rusty Aker

Did they win by 58 or 62?

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225887799326

Humble as ever ol' Aker. He's really perfecting the art of making everyone dislike him, by what he comes out with. Again, this was a completely unnecessary spin to put on the game.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Someone can't get it right...

Post Thanks / Like

Good of Aker to also come out and put some heat on Ryan Griffen by potting his effort to not shepherd...really what we need.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Aker will play again for the dogs. The meetings a couple of weeks ago were clearly about the coach and players not trusting him.

I do not think his comments are that bad, but he clearly does not seem to get it that his fellow players want him to shut his mouth.
    Last edited by aker39; 05-07-2010 at 03:24 PM.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I don't think Aker will play again for the dogs. The meetings a couple of weeks ago were clearly about the coach and players not trusting him.

I do not think his comments are that bad, but he clearly does not seem to get it that his fellow players won't him to shut his mouth.
    I think the comments are very very ordinary. To bag the opposition player who tagged him, as well as discrediting the standard of the comp - it again shows his lack of humility - and it makes him sound a frustrated and bitter old man.

With his Griffen comments, Aker is not a club leader, was not playing in the game and isn't even with the senior group at the moment - he simply shouldn't comment.

Agree with your first line for sure aker39.

How could you trust him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think the comments are very very ordinary. To bag the opposition player who tagged him, as well as discrediting the standard of the comp -

Well, I guess some top sportsmen are arrogant. Carey was one. Fevola another. There is that brand of cocky player who seems to feed off that kind of attitude. So it goes. Not going to change the old geezer now.

Nathan Eagleton struggled many times, while Brennan Stack and Tim Callan were handy when it counted most.

This is the thing. There are two or three of our current firsts who would struggle in the VFL like Eagleton is. So what are they doing in the team? I hope they have the sacks to really shake up our list and try something a little different. Roll the dice rocket.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think his comments are that bad, but he clearly does not seem to get it that his fellow players won't him to shut his mouth.
    Aker39, I think you should change your handle to reflect your disgust in Jason's behaviour.

Thinking something along the lines of Cypress20.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think his comments are that bad, but he clearly does not seem to get it that his fellow players want him to shut his mouth.

And I think many of the supporters also want him to shut his mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the whole concept of developing the leadership group and having them setting the rules needs some more refinement. I'd hope the coaches stamp their authority on situations like this rather than giving the leadership group control.

There seems to be a tendency for over reaction towards Akermanis and it's mainly seems to one guy driving it.

I think it all started with the over reaction to the hand stand against the Lions. Yes it shouldn't have happened but yelling across the ground rather than sorting it out professionally in the rooms wasn't the right way to handle it.

Akermanis irritates me but we knew he was a loose cannon when we got him and the leadership group doesn't appear to have had the skills to keep him under check. In the end, it's created more conflict than resolved things.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think the whole concept of developing the leadership group and having them setting the rules needs some more refinement. I'd hope the coaches stamp their authority on situations like this rather than giving the leadership group control.

There seems to be a tendency for over reaction towards Akermanis and it's mainly seems to one guy driving it.
    I think it all started with the over reaction to the hand stand against the Lions. Yes it shouldn't have happened but yelling across the ground rather than sorting it out professionally in the rooms wasn't the right way to handle it.

Akermanis irritates me but we knew he was a loose cannon when we got him and the leadership group doesn't appear to have had the skills to keep him under check. In the end, it's created more conflict than resolved things.
    Who is that GVGjr?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Well said.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Good of Aker to also come out and put some heat on Ryan Griffen by potting his effort to not shepherd...really what we need.
    So what do you think of Eade doing the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Those comments were totally disrespectful.