Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rusty Aker

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rusty Aker

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think the comments are very very ordinary. To bag the opposition player who tagged him, as well as discrediting the standard of the comp -

Well, I guess some top sportsmen are arrogant. Carey was one. Fevola another. There is that brand of cocky player who seems to feed off that kind of attitude. So it goes. Not going to change the old geezer now.

Nathan Eagleton struggled many times, while Brennan Stack and Tim Callan were handy when it counted most.

This is the thing. There are two or three of our current firsts who would struggle in the VFL like Eagleton is. So what are they doing in the team? I hope they have the sacks to really shake up our list and try something a little different. Roll the dice rocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    I don't think Aker will play again for the dogs. The meetings a couple of weeks ago were clearly about the coach and players not trusting him.

I do not think his comments are that bad, but he clearly does not seem to get it that his fellow players want him to shut his mouth.
    I think the whole concept of developing the leadership group and having them setting the rules needs some more refinement. I'd hope the coaches stamp their authority on situations like this rather than giving the leadership group control.

There seems to be a tendency for over reaction towards Akermanis and it's mainly seems to one guy driving it.

I think it all started with the over reaction to the hand stand against the Lions. Yes it shouldn't have happened but yelling across the ground rather than sorting it out professionally in the rooms wasn't the right way to handle it.

Akermanis irritates me but we knew he was a loose cannon when we got him and the leadership group doesn't appear to have had the skills to keep him under check. In the end, it's created more conflict than resolved things.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think the whole concept of developing the leadership group and having them setting the rules needs some more refinement. I'd hope the coaches stamp their authority on situations like this rather than giving the leadership group control.

There seems to be a tendency for over reaction towards Akermanis and it's mainly seems to one guy driving it.
    I think it all started with the over reaction to the hand stand against the Lions. Yes it shouldn't have happened but yelling across the ground rather than sorting it out professionally in the rooms wasn't the right way to handle it.

Akermanis irritates me but we knew he was a loose cannon when we got him and the leadership group doesn't appear to have had the skills to keep him under check. In the end, it's created more conflict than resolved things.
    Who is that GVGjr?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Well said.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well, I guess some top sportsmen are arrogant. Carey was one. Fevola another. There is that brand of cocky player who seems to feed off that kind of attitude. So it goes. Not going to change the old geezer now.
    Quite a lot of top sportsmen have this sort of arrogance - I've heard it stated that it's difficult to reach the highest stage if you don't possess it. They walk a fine line between confidence and arrogance.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Like Baz when he's involved in a "fight", Aker is judged differently. Sure, he perhaps could've been more diplomatic in potting his opponent, but maybe, just maybe there was some truth to it. And he did comment that he would've done the same thing if he was coaching. I don't really have too much issue with him speaking up on Griffen. I'm sure many agree with him. Obviously many here do. Reminds me of a game last year when he loudly and forcefully had a go at Josh Hill, questioning if he wanted to always be a "B-grader". People liked that, as he called it like it is.

His "me first attitude" is regularly questioned, yet no one has praised him for referring to "we", "helping the group" and "the team" in those articles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Who is that GVGjr?
    Pretty sure he is talking about Gia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Pretty sure he is talking about Gia.
    Yes, it's just some observations and nothing concrete to go on but it seems that Gia is quick off the mark taking offense to Aker's actions.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's just some observations and nothing concrete to go on but it seems that Gia is quick off the mark taking offense to Aker's actions.
    Yeah thats the impression I get too. He takes it too seriously IMO.