Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Aker's worst taggers are off the field

An interesting article by Steve Price, might cause a bit of a stir...

Aker's worst taggers are off the field
    Steve Price | Herald Sun | July 06, 2010

LET'S be honest, there is a vendetta being waged against Brownlow medallist and triple premiership player Jason Akermanis.

It's coming from several directions, and not until his career is shredded will some in the football industry be happy. He is being subjected to a ridiculous playing penalty by a too-sensitive, underperforming club, the Western Bulldogs, and his every utterance is being dissected by some in the media with the aim of getting him.

I have not spoken to Akermanis about this column. He will probably not be very happy when he reads it, and would have probably tried to stop me sending it. It needs to be written, though, because it just might serve as some insurance for a champion player, a champion bloke, and a wonderful dad and husband.

Those wanting him to be prematurely retired and tossed on the heap of ex-players include, it seems to me, some of his teammates, sections of the AFL management team and media identities. Some have played the game, most haven't.

Jason's latest sin was to criticise a no-name youngster from St Kilda's VFL side, Sandringham. The kid tagged Jason in his first penalty match for Williamstown on Sunday.

I saw the result of the close attention when Akermanis pointed out a massive bruise on his hand. Asked by me about the game he called the tagger "a dribbler" and said not playing team football had cost Sandringham any chance it had of winning the clash.

He didn't mean the comment with malice but it was obvious he was still unhappy about having to play in the VFL at all.

Well, you would have thought Jason had tried to shoot the Pope. SEN, the sports station we share a building with, went into meltdown, with former Essendon champion Tim Watson and commentator Anthony Hudson climbing into Aker for the comments.

Click HERE to read the remainder of the article...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aker's worst taggers are off the field

Well said, I reckon.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Both Pricey and Aker love to open their mouths, is it any wonder why they get along?

Post Thanks / Like

From the Steve Price article:

"The silly thing about this sorry saga is no one can really remember what the original sin was. He wrote an honest opinion for this newspaper about gays in the AFL. Changes that were approved by Jason were not submitted to the club and he got confused about that".

Talk about editorial license!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know. as much as he frustrates me, many elite athletes like to shoot their mouth off. Muhummad Ali was one that used to drive people nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

"It needs to be written, though, because it just might serve as some insurance for a champion player, a champion bloke, and a wonderful dad and husband."

When did he and Aker tie the knot?

Post Thanks / Like

Editted for accuracy

"I am sick of prople talking about him, please talk about me"

Post Thanks / Like

I feel sorry for Aker, not being able to express an opinion. When he's asked a question, he's better off providing boring, cliched answers that won't cause anyone any angst.

The Boy From Brasil Guest

Putting the article into perspective. Steve Price is the radio host on MTR and Aker is his paid guest for a 30 minute segment, 5 days a week. So, it is pure vested interest, that Steve Price writes about all the injustices that Aker is getting. Steve Price would be loving this controversy. It is a brand new radio station going up against the talk show giants in 3AW. The more publicity and controversy that Aker brings, the more people that will listen to his show and the higher his ratings go. It is purely self interest.

That is Steve Prices view from where he is coming from. He knows nothing about team football, team harmony, leadership groups, building a culture, building leadership and team oriented decisions. All these things that lead to a club being successful. All he would care about his ratings and his career. And as a Bulldogs supporter, all I care is that we have a successful season this year, without unneccessary distractions.

I like Aker as a person and as a player, however I love the club more. That is why I won't be too sad if the club and Aker part ways before the end of the season. The situation has reached an intolerable point, and it can't be healthy for the club or the players. How the club would wish every night that they could go back through time and have that decision about extending akers contract, again.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Points made just think it's sad that Aker seems to have put his media interests way ahead of his football.Would be horrible if his career ends with alienation.
    Personally can't stand Price and haven't forgotten his character assassination of our club after the Knights incident!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DexterT View Post
    I feel sorry for Aker, not being able to express an opinion. When he's asked a question, he's better off providing boring, cliched answers that won't cause anyone any angst.
    He can have an opinion, but it's the words he chooses and the way he goes about it that are the problem. He brings this all on himself as he knows the consequences of his actions and how the media are going to react. I just wish he would put as much effort into getting back in the team as he does in creating in headline.

But I agree with TBFB and I won't be to sad either if the club and player part ways before the end of the season as this will be best for both parties as I want the team to be focused on only one thing, winning the bloody flag.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Boy From Brasil View Post
    Putting the article into perspective. Steve Price is the radio host on MTR and Aker is his paid guest for a 30 minute segment, 5 days a week. So, it is pure vested interest, that Steve Price writes about all the injustices that Aker is getting. Steve Price would be loving this controversy. It is a brand new radio station going up against the talk show giants in 3AW. The more publicity and controversy that Aker brings, the more people that will listen to his show and the higher his ratings go. It is purely self interest.

That is Steve Prices view from where he is coming from. He knows nothing about team football, team harmony, leadership groups, building a culture, building leadership and team oriented decisions. All these things that lead to a club being successful. All he would care about his ratings and his career. And as a Bulldogs supporter, all I care is that we have a successful season this year, without unneccessary distractions.

I like Aker as a person and as a player, however I love the club more. That is why I won't be too sad if the club and Aker part ways before the end of the season. The situation has reached an intolerable point, and it can't be healthy for the club or the players. How the club would wish every night that they could go back through time and have that decision about extending akers contract, again.
    Good points. Enjoyed reading that.