Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs apology for Jason Akermanis gibe

Matt Windley - Herald Sun - 6 July

THE Western Bulldogs have apologised to St Kilda for derogatory comments made by Jason Akermanis in relation to Saints-listed player Alistair Smith.

And Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade last night admitted he was disappointed in Akermanis' comments in which he called the 19-year-old a "dribbler who can't play at all, who can't kick".

Akermanis, playing his first of a two-game stint with Williamstown in the VFL after being suspended by the Bulldogs, was restricted to 14 possessions after being tagged by Smith, who was playing for St Kilda's VFL affiliate Sandringham.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs apology for Jason Akermanis gibe

Why?

Political correctness gone made. Who cares what he called him? Steven Baker called Haydn Ballantyne a 'dirty little bugger' on national tv a couple of weeks ago and the Saints didn't apologise...I am so sick of this stuff.

What is wrong with being hated just a little bit...the club is like an overbearing parent: 'I want you to apologise to that boy and his parents...'. For goodness sake.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Steven Baker called Haydn Ballantyne a 'dirty little bugger' on national tv a couple of weeks ago
    That's funny!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

And didn't Lake say on TV that he had to punch Franklin, in reference to that incident from last week?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

How good is hindsight?

Post Thanks / Like

What is wrong with being hated just a little bit...the club is like an overbearing parent: 'I want you to apologise to that boy and his parents...'. For goodness sake.
    Agree, it's getting a tad precious now.

Post Thanks / Like

Why?

Political correctness gone made. Who cares what he called him? Steven Baker called Haydn Ballantyne a 'dirty little bugger' on national tv a couple of weeks ago and the Saints didn't apologise...I am so sick of this stuff.

IMHO we reek of a club over compensating it's lack of on field leadership with manufactured off field leadership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    IMHO we reek of a club over compensating it's lack of on field leadership with manufactured off field leadership.
    Manufactured off-field leadership?

Are you seriously suggesting that Cam Rose, David Smorgon, the Board James Fantasia and Rocket are guilty of manufacturing off-field leadership.

Please tell me how Aker's comments support the notion of a lack of on-field leadership?

The bloke's a loose canon, get over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Manufactured off-field leadership?

Are you seriously suggesting that Cam Rose, David Smorgon, the Board James Fantasia and Rocket are guilty of manufacturing off-field leadership.

Please tell me how Aker's comments support the notion of a lack of on-field leadership?

The bloke's a loose canon, get over it.
    My comments were about the playing leadership group.

It seems to me that our leadership group (or specific members of it) over compensate for a lack of on field leadership by over doing it off field.

I actually agree with you about Aker being a loose cannon but he is ours until the end of the season whether we like it or not. Why cut your nose to spite your face?

Post Thanks / Like

Please Aker just play some good Football! Unwarranted really,Difference with Ballantyne was he didn't put it out there on radio.
    Probably unlucky it got picked up by one of MTR's 5 listeners

Post Thanks / Like

BTW it would be novel for us to handle a situation in house without needing for it to hit the media (I know, I know, we don't hear about the situations handled in house but I really dislike the airing of dirty laundry).

Post Thanks / Like

Aker is really starting to look like one of those players who refuse to acknowledge they're getting old and are no longer the player they were. He's rolling out excuses regularly at the moment.

My comments were about the playing leadership group.

It seems to me that our leadership group (or specific members of it) over compensate for a lack of on field leadership by over doing it off field.

I actually agree with you about Aker being a loose cannon but he is ours until the end of the season whether we like it or not. Why cut your nose to spite your face?
    Totally agree, it seems as though some players realise they can't lift the team at the big moment so they are determined to stamp their leadership all over minor off field details.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

The Boy From Brasil Guest

I actually agree with you about Aker being a loose cannon but he is ours until the end of the season whether we like it or not.

I am not so sure. He is in the news and making headlines every second day at the moment. That is after he was told by the club and leadership to give up the media to prove his commitment to them.

I cannot see him lasting out the year. I would think the situation is almost at bursting point as it is. And there is still 12 or so weeks left in the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Please Aker just play some good Football! Unwarranted really,Difference with Ballantyne was he didn't put it out there on radio.
    Probably unlucky it got picked up by one of MTR's 5 listeners
    Nobody would have even heard Jason say it if SEN (MTR's sister satation) didn't run it every 5 minutes for the rest of the day.

It was interesting to hear what Jason said about his Sandringham opponent after the game on Sunday as it contrasts greatly with his well publicised "dribbler" comment. He was full of praise for his young opponent.

The club's response to the whole situation, including sending an apology to the player concerned, is borderline embarrassing.

Post Thanks / Like

Why?

Absolutely agree, its only because its Aker the press make a big deal out it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.