Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Ryan Griffen let it slip for Dogs?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl...-1225887564819

Did Ryan Griffen let it slip for Dogs?

Could Ryan Griffen save the Dogs against the Hawks on Friday night? Source: Herald Sun

UPDATE 10.33am: RYAN Griffen is likely to cop some criticism from his teammates for failing to shepherd through a potentially match-winning goal.

In a thrilling finale, Bulldog Easton Wood's kick towards goal was marked by Hawk Xavier Ellis after the final siren had sounded, leaving the Hawks three-point winners at the MCG.

Ellis marked at the top the goal square, but under AFL rules his opponent Griffen could have applied a legal block or shepherd to allow the ball to bounce through.

Griffen's teammate Jason Akermanis said this morning that error is likely to be mentioned at today's training session.

"Well, he should have (shepherded it through) and I’m sure he’ll be made aware of that today," Akermanis said on radio station MTR.

"I’m sure in the meeting it’ll be 'What they hell were you doing? Give us a shepherd. Give away a free kick if you have to, but you try and get it through'. It looked like it was literally going through for a goal."

Bulldog full back Brian Lake echoed Akermanis' sentiments on Channel Seven's Gameday program yesterday morning.

On Saturday, Hawks midfielder Brad Sewell said he was surprised Bulldog Ryan Griffen did not do more to stop Xavier Ellis's match-saving mark on Friday night.

While Wood's kick could have bounced anywhere, it was headed towards goal.

At a recovery session in Brighton yesterday, Sewell said: "I spoke to a few of the guys after the game and if he (Griffen) had have at least put some body on 'X' (Ellis) and let the ball go through, they may (have won).

"Luckily for us that didn't happen."

Hawks skipper Sam Mitchell praised Ellis for his coolness under pressure in taking the mark to save the game.

"Gee, when they won that last clearance, and he (Wood) kicked it in, I was really worried," Mitchell said. "It looked like it was going through the goals. I was so glad that 'X' took that mark in the goal square."

AFL legend Leigh Matthews was critical of Griffen's effort, saying on Channel 7: "That was a bad error, I think."

It was a dramatic end to one of the games of the season.

When Lance Franklin put the Hawks nine points in front at the 26-minute mark, it looked as if the game was in Hawthorn's keeping.

But the Bulldogs made one last-gasp effort to hit back. A goal to Jarrad Grant, assisted by a 50m penalty against Franklin, cut the deficit to three points with 31 seconds left.

Then, from a boundary throw-in on the MCC members' wing, Wood gathered the ball and streamed forward. He managed to drive it long toward the goal square where Ellis was able to out-position Griffen.

The siren sounded as the ball was in the air, before Ellis's mark.

Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade was left lamenting lost opportunities that cost his team dearly, particularly his players' use of the ball going forward.

The Dogs kicked 2.5 to the Hawks' 4.1 in the last term.

"We lost it with our entries inside 50m," Eade said.

He pointed out Callan Ward and Shaun Higgins as offenders, but said the team's inefficiency across the board cost them.

Sewell said the club's leaders, particularly Mitchell and vice-captain Luke Hodge, stood up when the Hawks needed them.

"Particularly late in the game," he said. "Mitch and Hodgey were sensational.

"A couple of Mitch's efforts, a few smothers late, it was a chain of two or three smothers in a row. Last year in those games we were getting blown away."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did Ryan Griffen let it slip for Dogs?

Most people will remember that last few seconds and yes, Ryan should've tried to shepherd. But for me, after that game I was more upset at Shaun Higgins' stuff up when he could've goaled but instead tried to handpass to Jarrod Grant. There were numerous mistakes that cost us the win and we kicked 2.5 in the last quarter. As usual, we wasted opportunities.

Post Thanks / Like

What we observed in that final contest between Ellis and Griffen was Ryan mentally spent. That contest was lost before it had started. The bigger challenge for Ryan and the Club is how he can mentally overcome such incessant badgering from the type of close checking he received over the four quarters, first from Bateman and later from Ellis. Hawthorn went out with a very intentional plan to break him down which unfortunately they succeeded on this occasion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    What we observed in that final contest between Ellis and Griffen was Ryan mentally spent. That contest was lost before it had started. The bigger challenge for Ryan and the Club is how he can mentally overcome such incessant badgering from the type of close checking he received over the four quarters, first from Bateman and later from Ellis. Hawthorn went out with a very intentional plan to break him down which unfortunately they succeeded on this occasion.
    Agreed. I didn't mean to bash Ryan in any way by posting this. Just scouring the net for Bulldog articles. Easy for Aker and others to say what he could have done. Rocket is right, there were about 15 plays on that night that could have won us the game. It happened at the end so it's the last thing we remember.

I have noticed that other sides, Saints, Hawks are close checking sides. We don't seem to have that same aggression.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Most people will remember that last few seconds and yes, Ryan should've tried to shepherd. But for me, after that game I was more upset at Shaun Higgins' stuff up when he could've goaled but instead tried to handpass to Jarrod Grant. There were numerous mistakes that cost us the win and we kicked 2.5 in the last quarter. As usual, we wasted opportunities.
    This.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Toughen up Princess.

We didn't lose the game simply because of him. Poor kicking at goal and around the ground for most of the game was the major reason why, but if that's the excuse for Ryan giving up on such an elementary facet of the game then he may need some help from a sports psychologist.

He's been playing the game for 5 or more seasons now. A hard tag shouldn't be anything new.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I agree Suz.

I was more disappointed at Higgin's efforts all night, he made a few vital mistakes including that collapse and thoughtless move in the last quarter, whereas Griffin made the one mistake unfortunately right at the end. Looking back I don't look at Griffin being the problem, more of our ineffective kicking, poor decision making going into 50 etc.

LxGee Guest

I also agree.

Higgins played that day with out his mojo, it was like he had no confidence all game

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LxGee View Post
    I also agree.

Higgins played that day with out his mojo, it was like he had no confidence all game
    He's played all season without any mojo
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    He's played all season without any mojo
    the same can be said about us as a team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Agreed. I didn't mean to bash Ryan in any way by posting this. Just scouring the net for Bulldog articles. Easy for Aker and others to say what he could have done. Rocket is right, there were about 15 plays on that night that could have won us the game. It happened at the end so it's the last thing we remember.

I have noticed that other sides, Saints, Hawks are close checking sides. We don't seem to have that same aggression.
    I thought Eade handled it well. I think rational fans are in agreeance that whilst Ryan should have shepherded Ellis, there were plenty of other factors that were more telling as to why we lost. It's just unfortunate that happened last and became a talking point.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Yeah I agree Suz.

I was more disappointed at Higgin's efforts all night, he made a few vital mistakes including that collapse and thoughtless move in the last quarter, whereas Griffin made the one mistake unfortunately right at the end. Looking back I don't look at Griffin being the problem, more of our ineffective kicking, poor decision making going into 50 etc.
    I don't have the figures at hand but i read that his clanger rate was around 40-45%. Most of us are glad that the first line of your signature is true atm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    I don't have the figures at hand but i read that his clanger rate was around 40-45%. Most of us are glad that the first line of your signature is true atm.
    Im a big Higgins supporter, I believe in his skill and understand the potential he brings to the team, and will continue backing him each year pre-season for the brownlow because he is given ridiculous odds, but I also know when he has a bad game its usually a stinker..injuries aside his year has been poor and not upto scratch. In our best 22? Yes. Right now? Unlikely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Higgins Tried to take on his opponent for a selfish attempt at goal. He should of Hand passed to Grant, a quicker player and in a better position. Grant realised that he had to shepherd for Higgs and when Higgs realised he was "HOT" he hand balled to Grant who was then too close and in a worse position and by then not ready for the ball.
    Not the type of Brain Fade that we need for the rest of the season.